Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

6 Posts

October 28th, 2019 10:00

XPS 15-7590, playing UHD Blu-ray?

Has anyone had any success playing UHD Bu-ray on their XPS 15-7590? The 4K OLED screen seems ideal for watching UHD content but I'm having no success getting a UHD Blu-ray to play. I've connected an external Verbatim Ultra HD 4K slimline Blu-ray writer to the USB port. I have no trouble playing standard Blu-ray discs (the exception being my Inception Blu-ray which doesn't want to play although it plays OK on my Panasonic Blu-ray player). I've tried three different Blu-ray video software packages that claim to support UHD 4K blu-ray but with no success. I'd be interested to hear others experiences.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 28th, 2019 11:00

Makes sense. Hopefully other XPS 15-7590 will chime in with their testing.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

Dell never tested an external Blu-ray drive on this XPS 15-7590. We only tested/validated the external DW316 USB 2.0 DVD+/-RW drive. Have you tested your external Verbatim Ultra HD 4K slimline Blu-ray drive on any other system to see how it responds?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

I purchased USB 2.0 external drive specifically because it has no issues when REINSTALLING Windows from DVD.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-8x-external-usb-2-0-blu-ray-disc-double-layer-dvdrw-cd-rw-disc-rewriter-black/9243009.p?skuId=9243009

Works fine with all of my dells.

Includes Cyberlogic Power DVD for blueray playback.

Along with this media its the perfect recovery solution.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-64-bit-reinstall-recovery-disc-only-no-license-key-included/p/N82E16832350238

6 Posts

Thanks for your reply but it doesn't really answer my question which was specifically about UHD Blu-ray playing on the XPS 15 7590.

6 Posts

I've only got the one laptop with a 4k screen and don't know anyone else with system with 4k UHD capability, hence my question on here.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 28th, 2019 12:00

My laptop is a G7 7588 with GTX 1060.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-7588-15-6-FHD-GTX1060-16GB/dp/B07CWHRM38

Blueray UHD movies play fine using the aforementioned drive.

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=19144

What are the minimum system requirements for Ultra HD Blu-ray movie playback?

To support Ultra HD Blu-ray movie disc playback on the PC, several new technologies are required. These new technologies need to be incorporated into the software, optical drives (ODD), CPUs, and graphics processors.

You are advised to make sure all of your software and hardware meet or exceed the below requirements before playing back Ultra HD Blu-ray movies.

To learn more about the playback requirements, please refer to the below table:

Operating SystemCPUGraphics ProcessorMainboard
(Motherboard)DisplayMemoryDisc Drive (ODD)Hard Disk Space
(Installation)Internet ConnectionOther

Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit with 2017 Oct. updates)

Intel 7th generation (Kaby Lake) Core i processors and above that support the Intel Software Guard Extensions (Intel SGX) technology.

Intel 7th generation (Kaby Lake) Core i processors integrated with Intel HD Graphics 630, Intel Iris™ Graphics 640 or above.

Ultra HD Blu-ray is supported only if a display is powered by Intel Graphics and supports HDCP 2.2. If your computer includes more than one graphics processor, Ultra HD Blu-ray is supported only on the display that is connected and powered by Intel Graphics.

A mainboard is required which supports the Intel Software Guard Extensions (Intel SGX) technology.
The Intel SGX feature needs to be enabled in the BIOS* settings, and allocated with 128 MB or above memory space.

To output Ultra HD Blu-ray movies to an external display, the connection port embedded on the mainboard must support HDCP 2.2.
For laptop PCs, please refer to the specification of your laptop to see if the external display connection (HDMI/DisplayPort) supports HDCP 2.2 output.

[Display Device] (Required)
Display device with HDMI 2.0a/DisplayPort 1.3 or above connection interface, and must support HDCP 2.2.

[Display Cable] (Required)
HDMI 2.0a/DisplayPort 1.3 or above version cable without applying any adapters/splitters/repeaters.

[Screen Resolution] (Optional)
Ultra HD resolution (3840 x 2160) or above recommended.

[High Dynamic Range (HDR)] (Optional)
To enable the High Dynamic Range (HDR) of Ultra HD Blu-ray movie, the display device must support the HDR display feature and 10-bit color depth display capability with a HDMI 2.0a/DisplayPort 1.4 connection interface.

4 GB or above (6 GB recommended).

Optical disc drives that are certified for Ultra HD Blu-ray playback.

500 MB free space for installation.

Required for program activation, first time to play of an Ultra HD Blu-ray movie, and other online services.

Windows Media Player 9 or above is required.
Intel Management Engine** driver with version 11.6.0.1126 or above is required for Ultra HD Blu-ray playback features.

Note:

* To configure the BIOS settings on the mainboard of a PC platform, you should refer to the user manual of your mainboard or consult your PC vendor for technical support.

** The Intel Management Engine driver should have been included with your original PC shipment. If you cannot find the driver or driver version update, please consult your PC vendor.

Related Articles:

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 28th, 2019 12:00

@FistralG  are you seeing any particular error messages when trying to play these discs?  If so, what are they?  Have you tried using CyberLink's Ultra HD Blu-ray Advisor tool here?  That will analyze your system to determine whether it can play UHD BD, and if not it should tell you what specific hardware, firmware, or driver component or setting is preventing playback.

6 Posts

October 28th, 2019 15:00

I've already run the Cyberlink UHD Blu-ray advisor tool and everything passes apart from Intel SGX which failed.  I checked the BIOS settings and it says SGX is enables with 128Mb Memory allocated as recommended.  I've tried changing the BIOS setting to software controlled and restarted the laptop but that made no difference.  I've switched the setting back to enabled and the advisor tool continues to report SGX as "Not available".

I've checked the Dell support tool for any driver updates and installed everything recommended but that hasn't improved the situation.

I've searched the web for anything that might help but nothing has shown up, that's when I posted my question on here.

I'm contemplating uninstalling and reinstalling the SGX drivers to see if that helps but wanted to hear if anyone else with an XPS 15 7590 had similar issues with this first.

6 Posts

October 28th, 2019 15:00

Thanks for that.  I believe the system meets the minimum requirements although there is an issue with Intel SGX that I've detailed in my other post.

One thing I'm not clear on is the requirement for Windows Media Player 9 if I'm using Cyberlink PowerDVD as the player?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 28th, 2019 20:00

@FistralG  you don't have to use Windows Media Player 9.  That requirement means that if you want to use Windows Media Player, it has to be version 9 or better.  It doesn't mean that you have to use Windows Media Player instead of any other application.  Windows Media Player actually doesn't even have any native support for playing back copy-protected content anymore because Microsoft decided not to pay the licensing fees to include that support.  Instead, if you install some OTHER playback application, like PowerDVD, it can register its own decoder module with Windows Media Player so that you can then play back that content in Windows Media Player -- but that only works because you have PowerDVD, not because Media Player supported it out of the box.

In terms of your issue, if SGX is being flagged as the culprit, that's your blocker.  I remember threads about UHD BD playback requiring SGX to be enabled, which tripped some people up because it's not always enabled by default even on systems that have a BIOS option to enable it.  I'm not sure why it's being called out as a problem in your specific case, since it sounds like you've already checked that setting in your BIOS.  Uninstalling and reinstalling the latest driver would be my next step if I were in your position.  If it still doesn't work, I suppose it might be a driver or firmware bug that exists even in the current release?  Obviously that doesn't immediately lead to a solution if that's the case, but as I said if you've already confirmed that it's enabled and you've tried the various settings that are offered and none of them are working, it doesn't sound like there's much more you can do at this stage except wait for updates that might fix this.  So hopefully the driver uninstall and reinstall works!

6 Posts

October 29th, 2019 03:00

So I now know a lot more about the workings of SGX than I ever wanted to considering I never knew it existed 2 days ago!

There are different versions depending on the version of Windows 10 and there are dependencies on other components

To use Intel® SGX platform services, you need to install a full set of Intel® Management Engine (Intel® ME) software components, which includes Intel® Dynamic Application Loader Host Interface Service (Intel® DAL Host Interface Service). If you install Intel® ME driver only, Intel® SGX platform service is not available. Typically, the Intel® DAL stack and Intel® ME stack are pre-installed with other Intel software on a platform. However, if you receive an error that Intel® SGX platform services are unavailable, install the appropriate Intel® DAL stack and/or Intel® ME stack."

Also intel recommend not to uninstall SGX drivers!

So i've reinstalled the SGX drivers and the IME drivers although all appear to be installed and running according to the OS.

Running the intel SGX activation tool reports that it is active!

I've logged a question with Cyberlink to see if they have any suggestions.

I'll probably find that I'll install a future Windows update and it'll start working "on it's own"!

3 Posts

November 19th, 2019 12:00

Hello,

i have exactly same problem for my dell XPS 13 9370. DO you find any solution for this problem?

2 Posts

November 19th, 2019 19:00

Same issue with an XPS 15 7590. Wondering whether reinstalling SGX driver from Intel website is worth the effort. Have already installed everything from Dell website for my service tag and the updates from Dell Update app. Curious to see what you find out.

2 Posts

November 20th, 2019 14:00

Reinstalling all the chipset drivers (Intel ME, SGX) didn't accomplish anything. Intel tools like the "Intel Software Guard Extensions Activation App" I got from the Microsoft Store - and the fact that my fingerprint reader works? since it didn't work when I disabled SGX in BIOS - indicate that Intel SGX is activated and working. Seems to be the case that it's Cyberlink's incompatibility with SGX driver version 2.4.100.51291 (latest currently available through Dell's website for XPS 15 7590). I am using PowerDVD 14 Ultra and the CyberLink Ultra HD Blu-ray Advisor tool with no success in playing 4k UHD Blu-Rays, and am unwilling to pay to upgrade to PowerDVD 19 to (probably) find out I have the same issue with SGX.

No Events found!