Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

1 Message

February 26th, 2020 14:00

XPS 15 7590 "something went wrong" connecting to wireless Samsung display

I need help troubleshooting this.   I cannot connect to my Samsung Q60 smart tv wirelessly with my Dell XPS.   I am able to connect with my other laptop so I feel the issue is not the network or tv.   I am current on all my drivers.    Where do I look next?

1 Message

February 27th, 2020 06:00

Also I had the same problem: XPS 15 7590 does not properly connect to Samsung QLED 70R. I have all the updated drivers (Windows, DELL, etc.).

1 Message

March 10th, 2020 11:00

75" Samsung 7 Series display here.   Will not connect via wireless cast or HDMI cable.  Hasn't always been an issue but seems to be related to Bios updates.   Last 1.5.0 Bios and Drivers

1 Message

March 11th, 2020 00:00

We have exactly the same problem.
Identical TV, hardware, latest updates.

"something went wrong"

1 Message

March 13th, 2020 04:00

Just adding my name to the list of people having the same problem... I have a Dell XPS 13 7390 that will not connect wirelessly to either of my samsung tv's (I have two - QE55Q6FNA and QE49Q6FNA), and my old laptop (an HP Envy) connects to both TV's without any issue.

So come on Dell, what is going on? DO you have any answers? Unfortunately none of the messages reported by the TV or laptop give any clues.... how can we investigate the cause? Is this a problem for just a limited number of your customers or is it an issue for everyone?

1 Message

April 13th, 2020 09:00

I am having the same issue with my Dell XPS 13. I cant connect wirelessly to either of my Samsung TVs (Series 7 & Series 5). My old HP Envy 13 connects perfectly every time. Please sort this out Dell.

1 Message

April 25th, 2020 07:00

I am having the same problem "something went wrong" i just purchased a new Inspiron 13 7000 and it will not connect to my Samsung Q60 both are on the same wireless network 2.4ghz.  The TV indicates its try to connect then I get the error on my laptop. This appears to be a Dell problem since I can connect my iPad and HP laptop with no issues.......If there is no solution looks like I`ll be returning this one.

1 Message

May 16th, 2020 14:00

Was a solution ever found to this issue?

I am now unable to wirelessly connect my XPS 15 7590 to my LG UJ630V smart TV

I have previously been able to do this but it now no longer works... 

I keep getting the error message "something went wrong"

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

June 15th, 2020 15:00

Ditto same issue - same laptop

7 Posts

June 23rd, 2021 11:00

Having this same issue on a brand new XPS 9500, however, I have a few XPS 13 7590s that work just fine.

TV is the Samsung 70NU9600. I can connect my laptop to other braded TVs.

Very frustrating issues. It gets connected for 1 or 2 seconds, then just says it cannot connect.

7 Posts

June 30th, 2021 07:00

OK, I was able to fix this one today.

Short Answer: I feel this is related to refresh rate or resolution settings. I dropped my screen resolution to 1024x768 (didn't help right away) but adjusting the refresh rate (under advanced display setting) to 48 HZ.

After I made these adjustments, it was odd that the laptop would revert back to the 1920x1080 when I connected, but seemed to start giving me control of these settings and the TV was connecting.

Once the connect remained stable, I was able to set the TV as an extended desktop and I see it only runs at 30Hz. I suspect this was really the key to the issue.

Long Answer:

I had tried just about everything I could think of in settings.

1. Didn't really understand the steps from Dell. I had some interference with other BT devices at my office and there was some suspicion that this was hardware related. At the end of the day, I decided to keep trying on my own.

2. Samsung was pretty convinced this was a Wi-Fi and/or network setting. We went through most of those troubleshooting steps (reset wireless connections, made sure both TV and laptop were on wireless), but I couldn't reset the router as they had recommended, so I had to stop there with Samsung. We did make sure we had the latest BIOS updates (we did have 2 updates just recently, I think one did mention something about BT, but I know the second one did not mention BT).

3. I was noticing that I got 2 different options each time I connected, but I couldn't click on them. I noticed when I clicked on the change projection mode, the TV connection connected longer before the timeout. I honestly didn't change and settings in these options, but seemed like I got some false hope after clicking these buttons. Not sure if they were actually related to the fix or not.

a) Change projection mode

b) Allow input from this device (may not remember this one)

4. After getting a little courage from the button clicking in #3, I disabled my anti-virus to make sure it was not blocking something (just old school troubleshooting I guess). I doubt this helped at the end, but might as well rule it out.

5. Finally, I just started playing around with my screen resolution. Dropping to 1024x768, connected, it automatically set me back to 1920x1028 and then took a little longer to fail. (still kind of the delayed fail that I start noticing after clicking buttons in #3 above).

6. Then I went into the Advanced Display Settings and just chose the lowest refresh rate. Then tried again (still keeping the 1024x768) and bam, it worked. It did automatically change me to 1920x1028 and duplicated the display.

7. I disconnected my laptop from the TV and the computer reverted back to 1024x768. So I set my setting back to 1920x1028 (kept the refresh rate low) and reconnected to the TV. Everything continued to work.

8. I changed the TV to be an extended monitor and set my laptop display back to a higher refresh rate. The TV defaulted to 1920x1028 @ 30Hz and seems to be stable.

There were a lot of false hope/dead end things that almost seemed to work, so wanted to put all my steps out here in case I didn't really catch the specific fix. I see this issue has shown up in a few places for Dell laptops and some had suggested that it was a BIOS/Firmware update on either the laptop or the TV, but I have verified both were updated. https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Connecting-to-a-wireless-display-Samsung-7-Series-smart-TV/td-p/7613589

Good luck out there!

7 Posts

July 29th, 2022 08:00

Wow, I haven't tried a physical connection to the TV at this point. I would guess the issue is similar though (some adapter profile).

7 Posts

Funny / frustrating that it seems to be so common with Samsung TVs. I had high hopes for LG and Samsung. But seems like the Samsung TVs don't play well with some display profiles. Guess I have to see about playing around with my LG TV to see if the issue persists.

7 Posts

Just posted my update today. I would be curious if you could try to confirm my findings. So far, so good on my end, but I fear this is just a temporary fix until my drivers update again. I am guessing I will have to reset this upon each driver update.

7 Posts

Well, I am back at this issue. As I mentioned about a month ago, I reinstalled Windows and now the problem is even worst.

On a good note, I did find a work around.
1. Use a display adapter you don't plan on ever using.
2. Hook up your laptop to another external display
3. Set all your resolution settings to the lowest possible settings
4. Connect wirelessly to your TV
5. Make any changes you want to at this point. (Seems to be a profile tied directly to the adapter)
6. Disconnect everything
7. Don't use this adapter again
8. You should now be able to connect to your TV wirelessly

I use an adapter every day to connect to a USB docking station. After I went through all of these steps with a different adapter, everything seems to be working as expected.
This all seems to stem around some profile issue with adapters and subsequently what the computer puts our for a resolution signal that the TV cannot resolve.
My next step is going to buy a different adapter so I can save all these settings and then just set it aside. The "spare" adapter I used in this case was my travel adapter, so I fear this will all break if I use that on another TV.
Not sure if there is anyone else a bit smarter than me on how Windows handles adapters and their subsequent profiles that might have a better solution? I would greatly appreciate it.

On another note, I feel this issue is with the Integrated Intel adapter. In my troubleshooting, I had disabled the NVIDIA 3d adapter (including uninstalling the driver) and it didn't seem to have any impact on my troubleshooting. I could argue I may not have been sequential enough in these steps that it still could somewhat be a variable, but I feel at least 80% confident that it is all the Intel driver issues here.

7 Posts

November 23rd, 2022 09:00

Well, back to this problem again. I ended up with a new TV that didn't support most computers, so I bought the Microsoft Wireless Display adapter (link below). All has been working great for months. I was testing out a docking station and then bam everything broke again (maybe had a windows update during that time too).

So, did a clean wipe and reinstalled windows. No luck

I tried the latest drivers from Intel, no luck there.

Tried my troubleshooting steps from before (lower resolution, lower refresh rates), nadda.

Other computers in my office connect just fine, but this XPS 9500 is just a dog here. I am going to keep working on it, but wanted to know if anyone else found anything.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/microsoft-wireless-display-adapter/8vwdj9bd9xlz?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

No Events found!