Unsolved

Closed

S

4 Posts

July 22nd, 2020 08:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

XPS 15 9500, audio jack not detecting headphones

Hi all.

My new laptop's speakers keep playing when I plug in my headphones (3.5mm plug).

The headphones work fine on my older computer, so it's not the headphones

The laptop is brand new, so I'm disinclined to believe it's a hardware issue.

When I go into Output Devices in Sound, Headphones are listed there as enabled but not plugged in, despite being physically plugged in, and they don't appear at all in Waves Maxxaudiopro.

I tried updating BIOS and all the drivers the dell website recommended, but the issue persisted.

Both Maxxaudiopro and Realtek Audio Service are enabled on startup in task manager. I've been through uninstalling the audio drivers in device manager and reinstalling them, both automatically through windows restarting and manually from the dell website. Dell support also tried updating the system devices driver Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller to High Definition Audio Controller, but it didn't fix the issue and at some point it reverted back to the intel driver when I uninstalled and reinstalled things.

Headphone jacks not working on new machines seems to be a common issue, but none of the fixes I've found so far seem to be working.

Any tips or advice? I would rather not swap out a motherboard on a brand new computer, as support recommended.

1 Message

October 6th, 2020 12:00

I'm having this same problem. I returned the computer and got a new one with the exact same issue. Did you find a solution to this problem? I don't want to have to return another model...

October 7th, 2020 07:00

I just got this issue recently. When I was using my XPS 15 in September, it didn't have this issue. For me to use my audio jack, I had to go to Device Manager (Right click windows start button) > Sound, Video, and Game controllers > Realtek(R) Audio > Disable driver then, enable driver. Essentially, I disabled and enabled the driver and now it works. After I turn off my laptop, though, and open it again, I'd have to do this again.

1 Message

November 15th, 2020 01:00

I have the same issue and resolved it like this: 

1) Open the Device Manager --> Sound, video and game controllers
2) Double click on Realtek Audio Driver and select Remove/Uninstall Device (not deactivate)
3) Right click on Audio and Game controller the select Find modification
4) Realtek Driver is detect

Issue has been resolved with this process. Hope it can help you

December 4th, 2020 07:00

Seems like I found the culprit after investigating under Device Manager: 

I found "Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Inter(R) SST) OED" under "System devices" indicating a problem. 

1. Right click this line and select Properties
  2. Under tab Driver choose Update driver

I got the sound working after that. 

1 Message

February 16th, 2021 13:00

@Halspastill

@somethingfishy 

I've stll got a problem of "unplugged headphones".

under Device Manager / system devices -  i don't have:

"Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Inter(R) SST) OED" 

is that possible that's caused by a hardware problem in almost a brand new notebook?

February 16th, 2021 22:00

Click through the devices to see if anything that might have a warning on them. If I remember right it should be shown as a yellow triangle. 

On the other hand, you might just need to tell windows where to output the sound. 

Open the Sound Mixer (should be available from the start menu), or the Sound settings under Control Panel. Sometimes the sound output may be redirected to over HDMI to you monitor, or somewhere else.. 

February 27th, 2021 15:00

I tried this solution, Issue has been resolved
Thank you

1 Message

March 15th, 2021 13:00

Problem is thaht PC will not recognize any other audio output. I can't choose something else than speakers. After I dissable/ennable Realtek, it works for the first time. When I unplug headphones, and plug them back, they are not working - I have to restart whole computer - save whole workflow. And its very irrritating on notebook which costs +2K. Please, give us solutions. There are many of us, who bought XPS as top-tier machine, and these childish problems like audio-jack not working stable, bluetooth not working stable, touchpad not working stable. All just software problems, probably. It completely degrades quality of this laptop and I'm afraid of its future status. Disappointed User

March 15th, 2021 20:00

Thank you so much! This fixed my issue.

2 Posts

March 22nd, 2021 09:00

That's a quick fix. The problem as described also in the end of the thread is that this issue appears again every time you unplug and plug headphones. There should be a proper solution in the long run by DELL.

1 Message

March 27th, 2021 04:00

I have exactly the same problem. It works every time when I uninstall the realtec driver, restart the computer (heafphone plugged in). As soon as I unplug the headphones my XPS 15 is not able to find the headphones again. I have to start the whole process again. Please solve the Problem.

186 Posts

March 28th, 2021 19:00

1. Select My Computer, right-click and select Manage.
2. Then open the device manager.
3. Check your own computer sound, control and game controller.
4. Check if there are the following two drivers, do not open the driver management to download and install, and some go to the next step.
5. Right-click on one of them to enable it. You need to enable them one by one.
6. All are enabled.

2 Posts

April 21st, 2021 08:00

Did you get the problem resolved? Coz I am having the same issue.

2 Posts

May 7th, 2021 08:00

I was troubleshooting a computer exhibiting this problem, and the issue was that 'Waves MaxxAudio Service Application' had been disabled in Startup. This program causes a small dialog window to pop up when a new audio device is detected, prompting you to select the type of headphones or speakers you have inserted. You can click a box at the bottom telling that message to not come up in the future. But if you disabled that functionality by just preventing the service from running, it breaks the computers detection of added audio devices. After re-enabling that and then preventing that window from coming up by using the checkbox option, the laptop is now detecting and switching to headphones and other external audio devices with no issues.

4 Posts

May 25th, 2021 12:00

thank you for the post. i have a lot of issues with this laptop(screen bleed, touchpad not working proper) and until now this also. I enabled max audio in startup apps and disable from advance that box and now is working.

No Events found!