Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 25th, 2021 01:00

XPS 15 9500, DMC not working?

After running Dell mobile connect for some time on my 2020 XPS 15 9500 the latest update is suddenly telling me 'Sorry, but this system does not have the minimum requirements for running Dell Mobile Connect'. Like what?

Help, please?

9 Posts

January 29th, 2021 16:00

@Marciano_M @Mike Schmieg 

"REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Store" /v StoreContentModifier /f /t REG_SZ /d "DELL_XPS"

Worked. Thank You a Lot.

But then what to do? Delete this line?
Because I have "G" series, but I renamed it "DELL_XPS".
Because when I wrote "Dell_G7" in that line, nothing worked...
This will not affect anything in the future?

3 Posts

January 29th, 2021 17:00

For me (DELL ALIENWARE AURORA R11), this worked:

Opened registry editor (type--> regedit on windows search)

In regedit, go to "\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Store"

Then under "Store" make sure that the two entries in "OEMID" and "StoreContendMoifer" say "DELL" and "DELL_ALIENWARE" respectively (or if your not on an Alienware, then DELL_MODELNAME, i.e., XPS, INSPIRION, VOSTRO, etc).

Then go inside "Configuration" and make sure that the two entries are the same under "OEMID" and "SCMID" (OEIM = DELL and SCMID = DELL_ALIENWARE).

Close regedit, and turn on DMC, if it doesn't work right away, try a restart and it will work, just make sure and have the correct model number after "DELL_" in both "STORE"  & "CONFIGURATION" folders and "StoreContendMoifer" & "SCMID"  inside regedit
(I unsuccessfully tried "XPS" and "AURORA" and finally "ALIENWARE" worked).

I've included step-by-step screenshots to make it easier to follow, good luck!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

January 29th, 2021 18:00

You can edit the "DELL_XPS" in the command line (or the registry) to represent your model (DELL_INSPIRON, DELL_G7, DELL_VOSTRO). Changing the type of computer elsewhere from what it really is to match DELL_XPS might interfere with proper updating of drivers.

9 Posts

January 30th, 2021 11:00

In my case it works only with DELL_XPS, although I have DELL_G7 (I tried all DELL_ALIENWARE, DELL_G7, DELL_G7_7590 - it did not work)

January 30th, 2021 11:00

Marciano_M, try renaming it to DELL_INSPIRON. I just looked at my G7 7700 and that is the way it is shown and it is a factory setup.

1 Message

January 30th, 2021 12:00

Worked Perfectly, thanks so much!

1 Message

February 3rd, 2021 14:00

That worked! Thanks

February 4th, 2021 05:00

I have G5 5500 purchased 3-4 months ago, and I have the exact same problem for some days.

I haven't been able to find any solution except the one shown here with regedit, but I have issues with this one.

In my registry, I already have the OEMID as DELL and SCMID as Dell_Inspiron before editing anything.

I tried couple combinations, changing SCMID to all caps like it was shown here, DELL_INSPIRON but didn't worked.

I used XPS and VOSTRO instead of Inspiron and they both worked whether they were in caps like DELL_XPS or lower case like Dell_Vostro. But Inspiron didn't worked for me and it was the default one for my device.

So I worry if I change it to XPS or VOSTRO I might run into other problems in the future and I don't think DMC app is worth all that trouble at all. I might delete it and use built-in Microsoft app for phone unless Dell decided to fix this soon.

10 Posts

February 4th, 2021 06:00

I still don't have a fix either, in spite of somebody marking one of the posts as the solution. Dell support have been really responsive but they're now saying it's a problem with the OS when a glance through these posts will prove beyond doubt that it isn't. My laptop is managed by my work so I can't just drop a new OS on it, even if I felt it worthwhile for DMC. As a programmer myself I can recognise when someone is washing their hands of a problem.

February 4th, 2021 09:00

It's a problem with the OS not meeting the requirements (whatever they may be) that the programmer has inserted into the DMC software with this change, but I would call that attitude misdirection. What I don't understand is why different machines react in different ways.

The only problem I can think of with having the XPS in the registry entry would be for any XPS specific software or Inspiron specific software in the Microsnot Store. There probably isn't much of that.

5 Posts

February 5th, 2021 03:00

Hi @berkgokmen 

For the SCMID you must use your notebook name and not XPS, Vostro or Inspiron. It could be _G5, but doublecheck it!

Tibor

February 5th, 2021 03:00

Yeah but that was the issue, because G series are under Inspiron name so my registry should have been correct but DMC does not work anyways, dell_g5 or g7 etc does not work at all but also Inspiron itself doesn't work. I also contacted Dell support from here I gave them link to this thread and the solution they offered was exactly the same solution here. 

So in short, Dell support said it was ok to change registry so I changed to XPS and DMC works again

1 Rookie

• 

40 Posts

February 5th, 2021 09:00

Hello,

Has this issue been resolved yet? Is there a new DMC in the Windows Store we can run?

Thanks

21 Posts

February 5th, 2021 11:00

@msuk  nothing yet. Checked a while ago. The latest version is the same (3.2.9971.0) and the problem with 'system does not match minimum requirements...' is still there.

Unfortunately, the registry trick didn't work for me. Tried all different StoreContentModifier and SCMID values. and the furthest I could get was to download the app from Microsoft Store using "DELL_XPS".

Back to the old version for now.

9 Posts

February 10th, 2021 06:00

Unfortunately, the registry trick stopped working for me too after the last update KB4601319

I guess I will have to go back to the old version

No Events found!