Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

2 Posts

February 28th, 2021 13:00

XPS 15 9500, accidental mouse clicks when lifting up the notebook

Hello

I've got a XPS 15 9500 that runs fine. I did notice a new weird behaviour:

when I lift up the notebook with one hand, the touchpad detects mouse clicks. Happens with both sides - left and right. When I hold it at the "right spot" there is not even a lot of "dynamic" required to have these accidental mouse clicks occur.

I found very similar reports:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9500-chassis-flex-to-click-issue/td-p/7671532

and videos: https://youtu.be/d1fFLOEwHPE related to other models.

Can this be fixed by tightening some screws or is this more complicated? (I had the palm rest replaced due to some trackpad wobble already).

Thanks!

• 

25.1K Posts

February 28th, 2021 13:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

2 Posts

May 4th, 2021 13:00

Hello

Sorry you ran into the same issue.

The "solution" was to contact Dell Cares - or to get contacted by them. In my case it was attempted to replace the palm rest again (which helped but did not resolve the issue) and then in yet another attempt the palm rest and the mainboard. Which did not resolve the touchpad/click chassis flex issue either.

So the notebook was send in to a service center. The issue could not be resolved there either for some reason, so Dell offered to refund the purchase which has been completed. So not sure how that solution is valid for someone else.

I think the initial palm rest swap to fix the touchpad wobble might have caused some of the flex or some rigidity got lost. Don't know. It's a shame as these XPS notebooks are very nice machines.

I have not yet bought a replacement.

4 Posts

May 4th, 2021 13:00

For **** sake what is the solution exactly? Do you know how many users of you laptops have the same issue. Me for example - how should i know the solution from this post you tell me???

1 Message

September 4th, 2021 02:00

Was this problem ever solved?

I am having the same issue, and they keep telling me it's by design. How is having a broken trackpad a design feature... 

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 5th, 2021 02:00

Larger touchpad in this model was not well designed. 

Affected users (in warranty) were provided a replacement palm-rest (ver 2) 

Contact Dell and if in warranty 

Seek a Palm-Rest replacement 

February 10th, 2022 09:00

I have the same issue.  How do I get this fixed?

No Events found!