Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 28th, 2021 15:00

XPS 15 9500, after updates, slow restart

I have installed dell critical updates then the system takes long time to restart

New Dell XPS 9500

If I shutdown then boot again, fast start is present

Do i have to do system restore using DellAssist app?

December 8th, 2021 06:00

Update! I (hesitantly) installed the Realtek High Definition audio codec driver 6.0.9257.1 from Dell Updates and it is still working great with the normal 15 second boot time. The bad update came from Windows update, not Dell. Not sure exactly what went wrong with the Windows update, but all is good now!

Capture.JPG

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

September 30th, 2021 02:00

What is the exact system model? What is the current OS installed on the system?

When did the issue start? Is there any damage on the system?

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/1n3X2po  - enter the service tag and download the BIOS, update and restart the machine and check.

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional. Also, run an extended / thorough tests on the HDD and memory to check for any possible errors. 

Restart the system and check in safe mode - http://bit.ly/1LHcO2c

Enable the built in admin account and check - http://bit.ly/1JoFhcw - This will help isolate if the issue is profile related or not.

1 Message

September 30th, 2021 05:00

• I'm having the same exact issue on my 9500 as stated above. I just upgraded to a larger SSD with a clean install on windows 10. I was having the issue with the slow boot on restart only after the upgrade. So I did the system image restore from the BIOS to it's original way it shipped completely wiped. Problem solved, computer was back to normal with really fast boot into windows.  Once the updates from Dell were installed, I'm back to really slow boot time on restart only (90 seconds or longer). When the computer shutsdown it will boot fast again but not on restart.  Trying to figure out how to roll back the update?

28 Posts

September 30th, 2021 10:00

I also have the same issue. Anyone with a helpful pointer?

September 30th, 2021 11:00

I am also having this issue on a 9500 XPS immediately after the recent updates.  The laptop now sits at the Dell logo with spinning Windows circles for a couple minutes before reaching the login screen. 

14 Posts

October 1st, 2021 03:00

The problem was in the dell updates. I did system restore using the option in DellAssist that automatically creates restore point before updates. The problem was fixed after system restore. One of the driver updates is buggy and needs to be fixed by Dell

2 Posts

October 1st, 2021 03:00

Same problem with my 9500 after drivers update: Killer Wi-Fi and Realtek.

October 1st, 2021 14:00

Same here! After last updates, start-up very slow (ca. 2 min or more). DELL, please fix it ASAP!

5 Posts

October 2nd, 2021 10:00

I'm having the same problem after Dell Updates. Please fix this.

October 3rd, 2021 03:00

Same issue since Sept-Updates.

Dell XPS 9500 i7, 16GB, 4k display - with a 2nd SSD installed.

Cold boot takes >30s suddenly (Dell logo screen with the Windows "waiting-dots spinning). This definately came with one of the updates.

14 Posts

October 4th, 2021 02:00

To solve the problem: use the restore option automatically present in Dell Assist App before installing these updates

To find which update is causing the problem, the updates must be installed one by one

14 Posts

October 6th, 2021 10:00

I have this problem with Inspiron 15 5510. The culprit in my case is a Realtek Driver update (Realtek High Definition Audio Driver, ver. 6.0.9202.1).

I used a system image restore, but any restore method should work.

1 Message

October 7th, 2021 10:00

i ended up disabling the realtek audio in device manager, and started to use an external DAC.

This is a massive pain, and it was way to difficult to figure out the source of the problem.

October 8th, 2021 06:00

I have had enough of the slow system restart, so I decided to restore the system using DELL Support Assist. Unfortunately, the system restore completely failed, and Windows won't start anymore. Tried everything to get it back, but no success. I did everything properly, so I do not know what happened. What I know is however, an application (DELL Support Assist), which should help in such instances completely ruined my system, and now I will need to make a complete system reinstall which will take a lot of time! This all is because of a poor driver released by the company. Thank you very much DELL, you made my day...

October 8th, 2021 12:00

I have the same problem, can confirm it is the Realtek Audio driver.

Device Manager -> Sound, video, and game controllers -> Realtek(R) Audio.

Right-click and disabling does solve the issue.

Also, right-click -> properties -> driver -> Roll Back Driver also solves the issue, and you can keep your sound.

Perhaps some day when a new driver exists which doesn't have this problem, we can jump over this bad one.

No Events found!