Start a Conversation

Unsolved

X

12 Posts

August 15th, 2020 05:00

XPS 15 9500 repeatedly crashes with Hard drive not installed 0155 message.

Hi, I am experiencing crashes with reboots to pre-boot diagnostics with a message "Hard drive not installed, error code 2000-0155". I can reboot the machine and it works fine ... for a couple of days. Each of these crashes happened when the device was idle, which makes it even more strange. I completed the "Request support using QRCode", but nothing happed for the last couple of days. Is anybody else experiencing similar crashes on their XPS 15 9500? Any suggestions what can be done? Thanks in advance!

• 

25.7K Posts

August 15th, 2020 06:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

12 Posts

August 15th, 2020 16:00

Well, after spending Saturday exchanging plenty messages with the Dell support, I'd like to share my progress:

• Dell tech asked me to run several "F12" tests, which were all passed. Not surprising, because the drive works ok, until it disappears magically ;-). Windows crashes (after it's hard drive disappears - literally - I've watched earlier today the drive disappear in file explorer, everything slowed, and some minute later the computer crashed).
  • After the crash, computer has problems rebooting - black screen, and keeps saying "Start with IPv4". So, the drive is clearly NOT visible long before the Windows even starts booting. Several pushes of the power button, and the device restarts correctly. What is surprising, that even in this "can't boot" stage the "F12" hard drive test passed all ok, and BIOS shows a hard drive installed.
  • After all this explaining, that even if the crash is initiated while Windows is active, the drive disappearance continues even pre-boot, I was advised to reinstall Windows. Are they serious? Computer cannot even boot in this "can't see my drive" state, and reinstalling Windows is supposed to help? I really do not want to waste one full day of my time to re-install everything, when I can't see how it could help. Anybody has some other ideas maybe, please? Anybody else experienced this strange error on their XPS?

22 Posts

August 16th, 2020 04:00

I have an XPS 17 9700 which on first boot up in the morning has given me the hard drive not installed error.  It happened 2 weeks ago, yesterday morning and this morning. It has always restarted normally. I have not seen the drive disappear while actually working with the computer.  And the computer wakes from sleep and restarts with no issues.  Following the link provided and using the error code and validation code I was advised to update BIOS and recheck connections to the hard drive.  Update BIOS I can do, but opening the computer and messing around inside I am a little less inclined to do so.  I'll see how it goes and maybe the BIOS update will solve something.

12 Posts

August 16th, 2020 12:00

Hi @jemsurvey1 

Thanks for your reply.

The Dell tech also suggested to me in a PM that I can open the bottom cover and check the hard drive connections - just like you, I am not happy opening a newly purchased laptop on my own - I find it rather disappointing that Dell support can even suggest such solution (!), unless they clearly state that they accept any risks related with someone without experience opening the laptop.

> update bios

I have everything updated: windows, firmware, drivers.. no change ;-(

12 Posts

August 22nd, 2020 03:00

Another update - and the problem hopefully resolved.

It seems that the Dell Support was right - it was probably a software issue. I implemented a fix on Monday, and no more crashes over the last 5 days.

I traced back every unusual piece of software that I installed since I got the machine - and there was just one suspect. I did not have in my original Windows installation anything to manage the battery, so I found on the net and installed the Dell Power Manager, and changed the battery charging profile.

I uninstalled it, and downloaded a new one specifically from the XPS support page, to be 100% sure I have a correct version. And I did not change any default settings.

No more hard drive / wake up from sleep crashes - so far :-).

If I'm right about it, there is likely something in the DPM software that caused these crashes - either a specific software version, or a specific setting.

2 Posts

September 11th, 2020 12:00

@Xend Are you still stable after 3 weeks? I am suffering the same error but replacing Dell Power Manager has not helped.

12 Posts

September 12th, 2020 01:00

Hi @HardStuck 

Yes, not a single problem booting from sleep / seeing the 0155 message, or seeing hard drive disappear in a middle of a working day.

A couple of times I found the machine re-start itself between when I put it to sleep late night, and woke it in the morning, but I suspect this was Windows deciding to update itself overnight, rather than power management issues.

Please let me know of your progress with fixing it on your machine!

1 Message

September 14th, 2020 01:00

I am experiencing the same problem. With a brand new dell xps 15 9500.

Any update on your situation? It sounds like it is a common problem with new dell xps.

September 15th, 2020 07:00

This is happening on 4 out of 30 laptops we received and imaged recently. All running Enterprise 2004. I will run your Dell PowerManage fix on the afflicted laptops and report back in a week with the results; I hope it resolves it!

September 18th, 2020 09:00

Mixed results: none of the previously afflicted laptops have had drive issues since I installed the Power Manager app, however a 5th laptop now has it despite having the Power Mgr app on it and all the latest Dell drivers, firmware, and BIOS. Gotta say I am not a happy camper now. Looks like I am calling Dell for a different resolution that doesn't involve reimaging a freshly imaged PC in another state.

1 Message

September 18th, 2020 10:00

I too have this issue with my XPS 15 9500.

I already returned the first one (bought on Amazon) because of a faulty touchpad.

Now the second one I got has this Hard drive not installed error that crashes the computer then it boots up just fine. Can you please share the link to the power management software that fixed your issue?

2 Posts

September 18th, 2020 14:00

@Xend and others... Playing with Dell Power Manager did not solve my problems. Ended up having Dell replace the SSD. The problematic drive was a Micron 2200S, which was replaced with an SSST (aka Liteon). This seems to be a common theme among the cases I read online. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/ishnz3/new_dell_xps_15_9500_hard_drive_not_installed/ 

Fingers crossed the new one doesn't have any issues.

12 Posts

September 21st, 2020 01:00

Hi @HardStuck ,

Thanks for your update!

> replacing hard drive

Such a nuclear solution should work - as next to replacing the hardware, it forces you to replace the sofware layer, too. Sadly it does not explain what is the actual source of the problem is (it could still be software).

I hope someone will be able to identify the actual cause of the issue, so that people can avoid the hassle of replacing the hardware parts.

Cheers,

G.

1 Message

September 25th, 2020 11:00

Exact same issue here. My computer is less than a month old. 

It's been shipped to their repair center and apparently they have a backorder on the required part so I'm just in limbo without a computer for school or work 

9 Posts

September 28th, 2020 08:00

My brand new XPS 13 has been doing the same thing, though I haven't yet contacted Dell about it - I had been waiting to see if it continued.  I appreciate reading about everyone else's experience and what has or hasn't worked.  If I do contact support, it will be my third time in two weeks going to Support about issues with a brand new machine.  Although the other problems so far have gotten fixed, I have never had so much trouble with a brand new computer.

No Events found!