Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2020 14:00

XPS 15 9500, screen freezing frequently

Hello,

My 2 day old Dell XPS 15 9500 with Nvidia card is freezing about 4 times a day. If I am watching videos the audio will continue. If I am using a second monitor only the laptop screen will freeze and programs and windows are still running.

Only way to resolve the issue is reboot, put computer to sleep and log back in, or to unplug/replug the external monitor. Pretty confident this is software related.

I have seen others with the problem saying to disable panel self refresh in Intel graphics settings. Is there a new driver? Does every single new XPS with the current configuration have this issue? I have had a freeze once self refresh was off so I am not sure what the issue is.

This is already a replacement laptop as the original arrived with a dent (from manufacturing not from shipping). I am not satisfied with Dell quality control on this product. Anybody have similar issues?

4 Posts

May 27th, 2021 13:00

I still has freezing - windows updated to the last version. Tried reinstalling drivers (with cleaning et.c.).

Every power efficiency setting turned off (cant install intel control panel - instead had to use graphics command center).

No result.

October 7th, 2021 06:00

This solved the problem a year ago but after the latest update, this issue is back! And the Intel Command Centre has been updated, and I can't find the "Panel Self Refresh" feature anymore. Help! My screen freezes every few minutes and I'd have to press the power button to put the laptop to sleep, then turn it on again to unfreeze.

December 4th, 2021 02:00

I have the same issue with my new XPS 15 9500. Dell support have already replaced the motherboard but the problem of freezing is still present and happens even 10 times a day.

I have tried the solutions that you suggested in the previous replies but they didn't work at all.

I was thinking if it is possible to have a refound to buy another computer because it's not normal to pay a lot for a laptop with these problems. Any suggestions? What have you done about that? Have you solved the problem?

• 

25.7K Posts

December 4th, 2021 02:00

We have reached out to you via private message. Please check and write back for assistance.

December 6th, 2021 03:00

Since months have passed, have you solved the issue?

1 Message

December 14th, 2021 18:00

I also have this same problem since purchasing new my XPS 9500 in June of 2021. I tried installing the graphic control panel with all power options turned off but no luck, still freezes. Sometimes it will happen 10 times a day, sometimes only once. Is there really no other solution besides replacement? I have a warranty and am trying to figure out the best route.

9 Posts

January 9th, 2022 08:00

This is still an issue and none of the proposed solutions have worked. 

12 Posts

January 14th, 2022 03:00

Unbelievable, how Dell hasn't done anything to fix this problem. So mad, I invested a lot of money into my laptop and it's just a useless expensive paperweight. Can't work with a laptop if the screen always freezes.

12 Posts

January 14th, 2022 03:00

And my screen just freezed while posting this.

4 Posts

January 15th, 2022 04:00

I had a similar issue with my Dell XPS 9500. None of the posted solutions worked for me. I tried shutting off Panel Self Refresh. I tried setting my bios to "cool" under the power options. I tried re-installing a fresh copy of Windows. I tried not loading all non-windows programs under start-up. None of that stuff made a difference.

What eventually worked for me was using an AC adapter with a full 130 Watts. I learned that an underpowered adapter might cause issues. My original adapter broke and I bought one with 75 Watts. The charger charged my laptop so I assumed it was fine. I tested it by unplugging my adapter. My computer stopped freezing.  Pretty sure that this won't work for everyone, but it worked for me. 

I bought a new adapter from Dell and all my freezing issues have been resolved.

January 15th, 2022 06:00

There is a new urgent BIOS available as of 1-13-2022 version 1.7.0... at least for my XPS 15 inch 9510.  Not sure if this would fix your issues, but the list of items does mention monitors and sleep.

What is confusing is that running the driver checker does not bring up this new BIOS... at least for me.  And I was at version 1.6.2.

12 Posts

January 23rd, 2022 22:00

I have original 130W charger. Screen freezes both while plugged in and while running on battery.

2 Posts

January 24th, 2022 09:00

Dell has known about this problem at least for 15 months and apparently has no idea of how to fix it or any plans to support customers with it.

I have paid for 4 years of extended warranty - the machine starting failing in the first 9 months of ownership.  I spent at least 10 hours with online support over 5 calls with no luck.  They tried Windows updates, old Intel software, reinstalling the OS, everything!!

They asked me to ship it to them and 24 days later, there is no hope or sign that anyone is going to help.

I am completely dead in the water with this.

1 Message

December 31st, 2023 01:35

I had the screen freeze problem for a long time and no solutions fixed the freezes until I updated my Intel UHD Graphics driver.  I used the Intel Driver and Support Assistant tool here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000090440/graphics.html to get the latest driver.  I had tried other drivers in the past, but the one shown below has fixed the problem so far.

1/7/24 Update

The hangups still occasionally occur, but at a MUCH lower rate.  A few times a day versus every few minutes.  Remember that you can just press SHIFT+CTRL+WINDOWS+B to reset the graphics driver and get the display to work again.
Given that updating the graphics driver reduced the hangup it seems more likely a driver problem than a hardware problem.  Still annoying, but slightly less annoying now.

(edited)

No Events found!