Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

23 Posts

October 15th, 2020 00:00

XPS 15 9500, speakers crackle, #2

Hi,

I have received 2 Dell XPS 9500's and both have an audio issue and was wondering if anyone is experiencing the same.

When playing most audio there is no problem. However, when playing certain audio, the treble starts to distort and sound crackly. An example is this vid on youtube which has an ongoing soundtrack that distorts and crackles at various points when played: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBPjVzSoepo

Plugging in headphones, there is no distortion or crackling. Another example is the Windows sound that plays when you adjust the volume in the taskbar and it plays a test sound to demonstrate the volume. This sounds crackly.

Have been through with support installing new and old drivers and even had the speakers replaced but the issue is still there. Have also tried the generic Microsoft HD Audio driver but it does not really work well - the sound is very quiet and Waves Maxx software is disabled. Would be interested to know if it is just me experiencing this. As it is on both laptops, it seems it is not just a one off.

Thanks

4 Posts

October 23rd, 2020 15:00

Not at all, I have the same problem and it's driving me insane. I think I'll just return mine, no solution seems to work. Incredibly frustrating, considering how much you pay for these.

17 Posts

October 23rd, 2020 20:00

I just ordered this laptop... don't make me regret it before it even arrives! I do have an older XPS 15 model.

Is it occurring through the headphone jack? What's the volume level? Does it have Dell or third-party sound add-ins installed? Have you tweaked their settings, or even tried to disable or uninstall them?

Currently I have my speakers plugged into an external HDMI display with good results overall.

23 Posts

October 24th, 2020 17:00

Sorry to hear that. I tried a few other things

1) Windows reset

2) installing other audio drivers that are technically compatible

3) Playing around with other sound settings

Nothing fixed it. I wanted to try installing Linux to see if it was totally a Windows issue although couldn't get it to work. I actually noticed that putting my ears to the speakers I could hear hissing during ALL sound being played. I am.in the process of returning mine

4 Posts

I like it too, it's an absolute shame indeed. Not sure, hope it does work out. Hope you find a reliable replacement!

23 Posts

I have found a bunch of Reddit posts with users having the same or similar audio issues. No solutions that I haven't tried. Do. A search via Reddit to see these posts

23 Posts

I hope you have a good experience. I'm sure the are people who have and from reading this forum after a couple of replacements the issues are fixed for some.

I don't know why only some people have the issues. Perhaps there are multiple production lines in different places and some have issues with a parts or the production process.

However it all seems to come down to lack of quality assurance by Dell. For such an expensive laptop, you would expect QA to be a high priority. I still really like the laptop otherwise. Such a shame

It doesn't occur for headphones plugged in or Bluetooth, just the in built speakers. Tried installing older Realtek drivers, resin talking windows with no updates applied, utilising Microsoft sound driver but the sound was quiet and obviously was not properly compatible. Dell replaced the motherboard and speakers and still the same issues.

All the best with yours

November 27th, 2020 08:00

I have the same case with me as well. Dell replaced the motherboard and speakers and it did not solve the issue. In addition to that dell support seems to be ignorant and arrogant about the issue. After going back and forth with them on the issue and various unhelpful solutions, they told me that my perception of the machine is different and that my system is working as designed!! @DELL-Cares

It is a disappointment after spending on a laptop that is so expensive and having huge expectations.

@robjs2020 Were you able to find a solution finally?

23 Posts

November 28th, 2020 13:00

Unfortunately not. My solution was to return the laptop

Sorry I have no better advice than that. It is clearly a software or hardware fault so I suggest pushing more - they cannot ignore the issue

1 Message

December 3rd, 2020 01:00

Hi,

I bought a New Dell XPS 15 9500, received it yesterday and I'm really disappointed with the speakers as well... the first song I played was "Solid ground" from Michael Kiwanuka, and basically you can hear the crackling noise all the way during that song! It's true that I cannot notice that problem with other songs so far (I also have crackling sound with Windows notifications), but this is a very expensive laptop and from what I can see, a recurring problems from other models from Dell.

Dell, you should really look into this and give us a solution, this is not acceptable. It's not only about taking care of your customers, think that also you are losing sales because of the reputation you are getting with issues like this one.

23 Posts

December 5th, 2020 15:00

Update:

Thinking the issue might have been a production issue for a few batches and seeing the Black Friday sale, decided to risk it again. Same issue still exists. The only thing that remotely works for me is to to install Realtek drivers from techspot.com (google "techspot realtek audio driver". Note, I cannot guarantee this is a genuine secure Realtek driver but seems like a reputable site). This seems to remove the crackling sound. However the trade off is tinny sound with no bass and this driver is from 2017. Additionally, Windows keeps replacing it with the newer Dell Realtek driver without asking me, hence it does not stay for long.

Looks like I'll be returning this one too and giving up on Dell for good

4 Posts

December 6th, 2020 11:00

I can relate. I ended up having mine exchanged, hoping the new one would not have the audio problem but it did. I haven't had a chance to contact tech support as it is incredibly time-consuming. Obviously, I cannot return it anymore so I am stuck with an expensive, faulty laptop. I will try and contact them again as soon as I have time, but I am incredibly disappointed and frustrated as is. It seems like Dell will continue selling this model despite the issues and never provide a true solution.

77 Posts

December 7th, 2020 17:00

Update: After spending so much time with @DELL-Cares trying every possible test, driver update/uninstall, configuration change, BIOS update, Wave uninstall, the issue is still here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ijHPbKahLE2l1cTKUUryPUPTwKXC7s_H/view?usp=sharing There is a similar thread ongoing with people being desperate about this issue with no solution being yet identified, eventually resulting in people giving up and returning their units. https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9500-speakers-crackle-2/td-p/7715495/highlight/false I am having a wobbly touchpad replacement scheduled and @DELL-Cares suggested to replace the speakers as well, which judging by the comments in the thread above will not bring me 1 inch closer to getting the audio issue resolved. Indeed there seems to be no Quality Control as such at @Anonymous as I have got both the Distorted Audio and Wobbly Trackpad issues which one would think would get captured during the quality control checks. It is such a shame as the laptop is really nice and I love it, but the audio distortion/crackle is too annoying to be ignored. This issue is so easy to be replicated if only @Anonymous had the will to fix it but instead @Anonymous is losing so much money with the technical support team suggesting meaningless driver updates etc, technicians performing meaningless speaker replacements, and eventually the cherry on the top being the customers deciding to give up and return their units. I pray for a solution for this audio issue. If not it will be one more lost customer and negative feedback to all my contacts. It is still not too late to wake up from your hibernation @Anonymous !!!

77 Posts

Please ignore my previous comment, it was meant for a parallel thread ( https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9500-speakers-crackle/m-p/7756970#M74576) on the same audio crackling issue

77 Posts

Hello Everyone, I have the exact same problem with my XPS 9500, audio quality problem shown here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ijHPbKahLE2l1cTKUUryPUPTwKXC7s_H/view?usp=sharing I have spent quite some time with the @DELL-Cares installing and reinstalling all the possible drivers, options, configurations, BIOS, Waves, older driver versions you name it I tried that already and still issue is not resolved. I am having a wobbly touchpad replacement scheduled and they suggested to replace the speakers as well, which judging by your comments will not bring me 1 inch closer to getting the audio issue resolved. Indeed there seems to be no Quality Control as such at @Anonymous as I have got both the Distorted Audio and Wobbly Trackpad issues which one would think would get captured during the quality control checks. It is such a shame as the laptop is really nice and I love it, but the audio distortion/crackle is too annoying to be ignored. This issue is so easy to be replicated if only @Anonymous had the will to fix it but instead @Anonymous is losing so much money with the technical support team suggesting meaningless driver updates etc, technicians performing meaningless speaker replacements, and eventually the cherry on the top being the customers deciding to give up and return their units. I pray for a solution for this audio issue. If not it will be one more lost customer and negative feedback to all my contacts.

23 Posts

December 8th, 2020 16:00

@absentiae 

If Dell cannot fix your laptop then there must be some clause in the Ts & Cs that allows you to return it? Perhaps wishful thinking. If not then advising you will be making a complaining to your national trading standards about this may push them to do something. You could make some kind of petition (I would be happy to sign). I am guessing they will need to find a fix in the future as this problem is affecting a growing number of customers, but who knows how long that will take...

By the way, to add to my previous post, if you do install the alternative driver and are happy to live with the not so good sound but without the crackling, I think these instruction may stop the Dell driver from being reinstalled by Windows: See https://www.laptopmag.com/uk/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10 for instructions (if Dell removes the link from this post then just google "@stop windows 10 automatically reinstalling drivers")

Good luck...

No Events found!