Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 12th, 2020 17:00

XPS 15 9550 130W USB-C Being Detected as 60W

Hi there!

I got a new USB-C charger for an XPS 15 9550 and it is being detected as a 60W charger. I've tried updating BIOS to latest version to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

June 12th, 2020 18:00

@DaveKerk  Are you using a different USB-C cable between the charger and system?  The reason I ask is that most USB-C cables are only rated for 60W, and if you use that kind of cable, then that's all you'll get even if the power source can provide more and the system can accept more.  The next certification level up is 100W, and cables that can support that have an "e-marker" chip embedded into them to indicate that.  I think Dell's charger pushes 130W over 100W cables, since there's no official certification for 130W given that 100W is the official max of the USB PD spec.

The other possibility is that I seem to remember reading that Dell's 130W USB-C charger didn't work at 130W with older XPS 15 systems, even though those systems could charge at 130W over USB-C/TB3 from certain Dell docks.  The 130W USB-C charger was created for the XPS 15 9575 2-in-1, which was designed for 130W but didn't have a separate barrel-style charger connector like the regular XPS 15s.  But when that charger came out I seem to remember Reddit threads saying that it didn't work on older XPS 15 systems.  Maybe the fact that 130W charging is a proprietary standard means that the charger and/or system will only run 130W over USB-C when connected to a known power source.  I would have thought that Dell could have provided a BIOS update to older XPS 15s to add support for the 130W USB-C charger after it was introduced, but maybe that never happened.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

June 12th, 2020 19:00

@DaveKerk  Yes I'm completely certain about dock support, because Dell's original USB-C/TB3 docks (namely the WD15 and TB15, the latter of which was recalled and replaced with the TB16) were introduced in conjunction with the XPS 15 9550, which was the first XPS 15 model to incorporate a USB-C/TB3 port.  And Dell offered those docks with a higher wattage power adapter option specifically to allow those docks to provide 130W over USB-C for the specific purpose of fully supporting that XPS 15 system and the ones that came after it.  Those docks have since been replaced by the WD19 and WD19TB

In terms of the 130W USB-C power adapter, I realize that it's an official Dell product.  And if you had asked me beforehand if that adapter would work at 130W even on XPS 15 systems that predated its introduction, like the 9550 and 9560, I would have guessed that it would on the basis that those docks can provide 130W to those systems.  But for reasons that to my knowledge have not been made clear by Dell, that adapter doesn't work at 130W with those older models.  I suspect a complicating factor here is that 130W is above the industry wide USB Power Delivery spec.  Dell did something proprietary to stretch that out to 130W, but maybe what they did on their docks is different from what they did on their power adapter, and the result is that older XPS 15s and that power adapter don't "recognize" that both devices support that proprietary standard.  Again, I would have thought that Dell would have been able to make the 130W USB-C power adapter they eventually created backward compatible with older XPS 15s, or at least provide a firmware update to those older XPS 15s to support that adapter after it was introduced, but for whatever reason that doesn't seem to be what happened.  I don't know why.  But I do know that the WD15, TB16, WD19, and WD19TB will all provide 130W to that system, so long as the dock itself has an appropriate power source attached.  That would be a 180W power source for all of those docks except the TB16, where you'd need a 240W power source, but I don't recommend the TB16.  Even though it was a replacement for the TB15 that was recalled, the TB16 still garnered more than its fair share of complaints around reliability and functionality.  The WD19TB doesn't seem to be generating anywhere near as many complaints here.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@DaveKerk  I work in IT, so I've seen many more than my fair share of the "Unknown" adapter issues.  When they happen, the most likely culprit are, in descending order:

• The charger
  • The DC jack (if it's a separate part)
  • The motherboard

Obviously a motherboard replacement would be much trickier than what you've done thus far, and harder to source as a part especially if you want a "fresh" one that allows you to set a Service Tag as opposed to one that came out of a system that will have a fixed Service Tag, since that is a write-once field.  But based on what else you've already replaced, I don't think there's anything else that would get 130W charging from the barrel-style chargers working again.  And unfortunately if the 130W charger can't be fully utilized on that system and the system limits itself to 65W on non-Dell chargers, that significantly limits your options.  But I can think of two alternatives short of a motherboard replacement

• Get a Dell dock that supports providing 130W over USB-C/TB3, which will work even with the XPS 15 9550 because those docks were created specifically to support the XPS 15 9550 when it was introduced.  The latest docks that support that are the WD19 180W version (not the 130W version, which only passes 90W through to the system) or the WD19TB (comes standard with a 180W power source).  The main difference between the two is the display setups they can run and the fact that the WD19TB has a "downstream" TB3 peripheral port.  I can go into more about this if needed.  But of course a dock won't help you when you're away from the dock.  For that....
  • ...short of a motherboard of a replacement, you might be able to split the difference between the non-Dell 65W cap and the 130W you can't achieve by trying Dell's own 90W USB-C charger here.  Obviously it's not 130W, but since it's a Dell charger, the system might actually draw 90W from it, which would be better than the 65W you'd be stuck with otherwise.  But full disclosure, I'm not actually certain the XPS 15 9550 will in fact draw 90W from that charger.  I just know the charger exists, so I thought I'd suggest it.

5 Posts

@jphughan I appreciate the input. While I have you, I might as well ask, the reason I am even going for a USB-C charger is because the normal barrel style of charger stopped working. I have replaced the charger, the battery, and the DC jack itself (all with genuine OEM parts) and the BIOS just says unknown whenever it's plugged in. Thoughts?

The USB-C charger is also a genuine OEM, so I would imagine that it would detect and charge at max (should this old of a system support it, which I cannot find any solid answer on).

5 Posts

The cable between block and port is sealed into the block. So there's no choice for which USB-C cable to use. It would be unfortunate that it would only use the 60W. It's an i3 system with no dGPU. Do you think it will suffer much impact from 60W? And if it will only accept a 60W, should I just purchase a 60W charger and return the 130W?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@DaveKerk I've only used XPS 15s that have an NVIDIA GPU, but my experience is that a 60W power source might be fine as a travel charger if you'll be using it primarily to charge the system overnight while it's powered off, but it's not a great solution as a power source for when you're actively using the system.  60W is less than half the amount of power the XPS 15 is designed to have available, so when that's all you give the XPS 15, it will respond by reducing it battery charging speeds and its CPU and GPU performance.  Under extreme loads it might continue to drain the internal battery even while connected to power in order to make up for the shortfall, but that's a last resort.  It will take steps to reduce its power consumption even at the cost of performance first in an attempt to operate "sustainably".

Even more annoyingly, Dell laptops in general as of this writing limit themselves to drawing no more than 65W from any non-Dell USB-C power source, even if the power source supports more and the system would benefit from more.  I have no idea why Dell has this seemingly unnecessarily and arbitrary limitation, and the impact is particularly significant on relatively high power systems like the XPS 15, but I've seen this behavior on multiple laptops with multiple third-party chargers.  I hope Dell rethinks having this limitation at some point.

But if all you can get is 60W, then yes I'd return the charger.  There are lots of less expensive and physically smaller 60W chargers available from solid companies like Anker and Aukey, among others -- especially now that GaN (gallium nitride) chargers have arrived on the market.  Another reason to consider switching is because I also remember reading that Dell's 130W charger only supports 5V and 20V output, which means that despite its high wattage output, it can't actually be used as a fast charger for devices that require 9V or 15V for fast charging, such as many recent smartphones and tablets.  Instead, if the device charges at all, it will only be at 5V "regular USB" speeds, not USB PD speeds.  Most USB-C power sources on the market support 5V, 9V, 15V, and 20V.

5 Posts

@jphughan Gotcha, that is very weird to me. I'll have to see the prices and see what they want to do.

I very much appreciate all the help you've given, definitely learned a lot!!

I think that will be the end of this thread then.

5 Posts

@jphughan So I'm a bit lost with one part, the USB C charger is not a non-Dell, it's an official Dell 130W USB-C. I would prefer not to do a motherboard replacement just since the part alone is between $400 and $600. And for a 6th gen i3, it's very not worth it. I will talk to the person I'm fixing this for and see if they want to spring for an expensive dock, but are sure you that it will charge the full 130W? 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

June 13th, 2020 08:00

@DaveKerk  Happy to help.  Just as one more data point if it bolsters your confidence or the confidence of the owner of this system, there's this PDF about dock compatibility with various systems.  But there is a catch.  Where the PDF says "XPS 9530", it's actually supposed to say "XPS 9550".  The XPS 9530, which is the immediate predecessor to the 9550 (there was never a 9540) doesn't have a USB-C/TB3 port at all, so it wouldn't be compatible with any of these docks -- and the 9550, which does have a USB-C/TB3 port, isn't listed at all.  I pointed this issue out to a Dell Support rep that has been helpful escalating issues internally in the past, and he replied that the Documentation team is aware of that error and will fix it in a new revision, but they have no ETA.  I had also previously pointed out other errors in that PDF around certain XPS 13 models incorrectly being indicated as incompatible with the WD19 130W even though they were in fact compatible, and they acknowledged those errors as well.  But if it helps reassure you, I figured I'd send it.

No Events found!