Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

4 Posts

November 11th, 2018 03:00

XPS 15-9550, BIOS update, black screen

Dell BIOS updated last week and within a few hours the screen began to flash on/off (black screen but backlight of screen still functioning). This flashing display increased in frequency throughout the day until eventually it was flashing non-stop. I tried restarting and even the Dell logo while loading would flash and have lines running through it. This wasn't related to lid position, it is clear video is not working. I plugged the laptop into an external monitor and it worked fine that way. Unfortunately while trying to get my laptop screen to write I disabled first the Nvidia display driver (no change), and then the Intel display driver (after re-enabling Nvidia). That caused any connection to my external monitor to shut off. Now I'm stuck with no way to display anything. On startup the monitor backlight turns on but no Dell symbol appears and I cannot enter any safe mode (or Windows 10 equivalents). Connection to external monitors don't work (monitor acts as though not plugged in). I unplugged CMOS battery for 20 minutes but no change upon putting everything back together. I'm pretty sure it is starting up to the log in screen as eventually the keyboard backlight and caps lock lights turn on, it just seems like any video is completely disabled and I'm out of ideas.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 12th, 2018 07:00

* Is this laptop still under the purchased warranty period?
* Does the LCD BIST (Built-in Self Test) run?
* What happens when you power up and press F2? F12? Does anything appear on screen?

4 Posts

November 13th, 2018 00:00

The laptop is no longer under warranty, it is 2 years old. I will try the LCD BIST later today. F2 and F12 do not work, I have no visuals on the screen apart from the backlight (so I can see it turns on). Fans turn on, power key responds normally, and as mentioned once the keyboard is recognised (maybe 10 seconds after turning on) it will turn on cap lock light.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 13th, 2018 06:00

I think you have tried all of the normal troubleshooting. Hopefully another XPS laptop user can post some ideas that do not involve replacing the motherboard.

4 Posts

November 13th, 2018 11:00

The LCD screen test was normal, thus I'm running out of ideas.

4 Posts

November 19th, 2018 00:00

Dell contacted me privately and offered a good price on replacing the motherboard (seems fair since BIOS update caused issue).

16 Posts

February 8th, 2019 04:00

I have exactly the same problem following an update. Who contacted you from Dell? I wonder if you could put me in touch.

No Events found!