Solved!

Go to Solution

March 23rd, 2020 05:00

XPS 15 9550, Screen goes black in full screen mode

Run YouTube

select full screen mode

works fine for 5 secs or so then screen goes black

sound continues to play

change resolution from recommended of 3840x2160 to next highest resolution 2560x2048

run YouTube again and full screen works fine

Why??!!

I don't won't to use the weird lower res format

Help appreciated

1 Message

May 9th, 2020 12:00

Yes, same problem for me as well - screen goes black in full mode when watching Netflix without the charger plugged in; Big Picture in Steam goes black, too, when I try to launch it.

See the solution here. DELL-Admin

• 

25.7K Posts

March 23rd, 2020 23:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

1 Message

April 3rd, 2020 16:00

I have the exact same issue.

1 Message

April 5th, 2020 15:00

This is happening to me aswell,

Were you able to find a fix?

1 Message

April 12th, 2020 04:00

I have this problem too.

Any help would be appreciated

6 Posts

April 14th, 2020 02:00

Same thing here.

I have found that when the laptop is plugged in the problem does not occur. However in battery mode any fullscreen video turns black. I have the 4k touchscreen model. Anyone with the FHD also having this issue?

Anyone from Dell able to provide us with a fix please?

First the F8 key bricking the motherboard now this...

Is it possible to get a refund if the laptop is older than two years? It's such a good looking and great performing product when it works but this is getting annoying to deal with. Especially since I paid 2000 euro for it.

Any help is much appreciated.

April 14th, 2020 03:00

Hi,

I had a similar issue on my XPS 15 where videos would blackscreen on youtube, netflix and the default windows media player. (May have been more apps but these are all I used).

What I found worked to fix it was to uninstall and reinstall the realtek audio drivers. Hopefully this helps!

6 Posts

April 14th, 2020 03:00

Hi

I will try that tonight to see if it fixes it.

Thanks for the info.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

April 14th, 2020 05:00

I've had this exact thing happen on other Dell machines.

Things to try:

1. Press the power button until the keyboard lights up. Press and hold the power button until the system powers down. Press the power button again to turn the system back on.

2. Disconnect the AC adapter. Remove the back plate. Disconnect the main battery from the motherboard. Use something plastic, like a guitar pick, to pry the connector if you have to (don't use anything metal). Press the power button. Press the power button again. Reconnect the main battery. Press the power button to turn the machine on.

3. If the above does not work, remove the CMOS button battery for 30 seconds. It should be to the right of the right fan, possibly under a bit of thermal tape.

If none of that works, or if the issue repeats, you have a bad motherboard.

6 Posts

April 15th, 2020 01:00

This is a fix for everyone else having the same problem.

I was able to just update the driver in the device manager and that seems to have fixed it. 

Thank you so much for your help.

9 Posts

April 25th, 2020 02:00

I am encunteringthe same issue screen goes black when full screen. I ave updated my drivers in Dell website but still encountered this problem.

Please help.

3 Posts

April 26th, 2020 03:00

I am also having this issue! 

6 Posts

April 26th, 2020 04:00

@shmuli_d @Terryboy 

Hey, I thought that the Realtek Audio driver reinstalling worked. I mean it did for a day, but then the problem persisted.

However I seem to have fixed mine again. Im using Google Chrome as probably most people are, and the fix that worked was going into the Settings ----> then on Advanced on the left hand side ----> Turn off "Use hardware acceleration when available".

For me at least that was what was causing the issue.

Try it and let others know if it worked. Hope it does.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 26th, 2020 17:00

Yeah ,  you should be able to run the panel at its native resolution without trouble. 

Not likely that so many users hardware all went bad at the same time.  Good sign it is just drivers or settings, so it should fix eventually .

April 26th, 2020 17:00

Seems like this must be a software or driver update issue as all of us are experiencing the same issue starting at the same time.

No Events found!