Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

3 Posts

July 10th, 2021 09:00

XPS 15 9550 TPM?

I have an XPS 15 9550 bought in the UK with Windows 10 Home (not Professional). I need to enable Windows BitLocker, for which I need TPM. (I'm aware I'll also need to upgrade to Windows 10 Professional - that's not a problem.)

However, there's no sign of TPM in the BIOS and attempting to install either the 'Dell TPM 2.0 Firmware Update Utility' or the 'Dell TPM 1.2 Firmware Update Utility' (both shown as compatible with the XPS 15 9550) fails with "Error: The System TPM Query Failed, Aborting".

Could this laptop somehow not support TPM?

Any suggestions on how I can get it working? Happy to 'buy a TPM module' if that would fix it, but that seems to be more of a desktop motherboard option.

Thanks in advance.

380 Posts

July 10th, 2021 22:00

If it is not in the BIOS then it does not exist. Adding a TPM module could be next to impossible. In some cases it might be soldered on the motherboard. The other issue is that the the 9550 has a 6th generation Intel processor which is not supported. Considering this and the age of your system, you would be better off getting a new computer.

JohnD

3 Posts

July 11th, 2021 12:00

Thanks, John. By "not supported" I assume you mean for Windows 11? It's actually BitLocker I'm trying to get working. I don't really need a new laptop, as I use two desktops for most of my work - so it's irritating having to replace it. I believe BitLocker can be used less securely without TPM, so that might be sufficient.

Actually, even my newest desktop isn't supported by current Windows 11 processor requirements - crazy as I'm sure an overclocked i7-7700K would run it fine. I'm hoping they'll widen the supported processors as the release date gets closer.

1 Message

January 1st, 2024 18:23

@johnptd​ Dell say that thier update removed it on this model....but it has not been reintroduced in following updates!!

No Events found!