Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 30th, 2018 12:00

XPS 15 9550, not starting after BIOS update

Dear Dell, 

I got a Dell XPS 15 9550 through my institution and the laptop wass highly rated. I started the laptop, and after some minutes of using it, it prompted for a BIOS update to be installed. I thought since the laptop was new and I had nothing on it to be disrupted, I might as well get done with all the Windows and other updates and move on with my new laptop life. Unfortunately, after this update, the laptop could no longer start. I tried a bunch of times and some times it would start, other times it would fail. I gave up and sent the laptop in for repair. It wass later returned working fine, albeit with the sound cable disconnected. 

Fast forward to one year later, I got another prompt to update BIOS. at this point I was using the laptop so much and just did not have the time to do updates. I ignored the popup for a really long time, but I do development stuff and any inch of screen on my laptop is valuable. I just could not find a way to turn off the popup so one time when windows took me through a mandatory update that required a restart, I decided to update BIOS as per the popup from Dell was prompting, but after updating, boom!! same problem! the laptop is dead and I need ~30 attempts to get it to start! All I did was follow a Dell prompt to update BIOS and the laptop is now dead. And this laptop is not cheap. I have resorted to my HP Envy which despite being quite aged, is really performing.  

The vendor gave me a number to call, but the few times that I called the number, a lady said she was in another department and that I should wait for her to return to the responsible department. Please advise on how this can be redressed!

Jude

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

October 31st, 2018 05:00

Unplug the system, disconnect the battery and hold the power button 30 sec.  Disconnect all external peripherals except the AC adapter and see if the system will boot.  It just might - in which case you're set.

If it won't, your system should support BIOS recovery.  See here:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en

No Events found!