Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 23rd, 2018 20:00

XPS 15 9550, touchpad is popping up

I brought "XPS 15 (9550)" (32 GB RAM) in Mar 10, 2016 with one year warranty. I started actually used it from Aug 2016. It performs quite well. However its touchpad started popping up in the end of Mar 2017. It gradually keep popping up futher. Up to Sep 2017, it has popped up with big gap so it won't be able to close lid. 

XPS 15 (9550) - touch pad pop up

There are some dash on keyboard. Don't worry about this. 

it started running very slow in last Nov, so I have brought another new XPS-9560 in Dec 2017. However I want to get someone help to see if I can fix this lid pop up.  Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

January 24th, 2018 07:00

The battery is  the issue, though you've let it go so long that the touchpad needs to be replaced as well. Contact Dell to have that done -- immediately.

380 Posts

January 24th, 2018 00:00

This is a known issue. Your battery is swelling. Contact Dell ASAP to get a replacement. That battery could become dangerous.

JohnD

January 24th, 2018 01:00

Thanks John.  You are right.
I just did online test for battery but it even passed. 

January 26th, 2018 16:00

Thanks @ejn63 

I will try to contact DELL to get this fixed. 

March 23rd, 2018 07:00

Thanks DELL, 

This week Dell arranged techician to come to my home to replace battery and damanged touchpad. All are free of charge. Now all works as normal. 

Again thanks DELL. :Yes:

2 Posts

June 6th, 2018 04:00

Same issue here with my xps 15 9550. Had contact with Dell customer support to replace the battery and the touchpad.
Had to block all day for the repair.... haven't seen anybody from Dell.
It appeared something IT related went wrong at Dell, so made another appointment. 
Again, waited all day for nothing!! 
They suggested to make another appointment but I can't afford to spend a full day waiting for nothing. (I need to be mobile for work)
Thanks for nothing Dell Netherlands ;-( 

This means my backup laptop (a Microsoft Surface) now becomes my primary device....

1 Message

October 2nd, 2018 15:00

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

October 15th, 2018 10:00

While you're pursuing this, get the battery out of the system.  The overwhelming odds are they won't cover it at this point, and leaving the battery in the system is both a safety hazard -- and will eventually destroy the system, turning a $100 battery into the need for a replacement system.

1 Message

October 15th, 2018 10:00

I have the same problem but UK technical support refuses to fix this free of charge, even though Dell admits that the battery was faulty. Can anyone recommend a different channel to talk to about this issue? I am hoping that a different department may have a better understanding of the recalls and repairs about this known problem

October 19th, 2018 15:00

I had the same problem with my Dell XPS 15 (9550) here in Finland. I called Dell Support and they immediately admitted that defective battery is the culprit and promised to replace the battery free of charge. Defective Dell XPS 15 (9550) 84Wh battery seems to be covered by extended Dell warranty time. My XPS 15 was almost 2 years old.

January 22nd, 2019 07:00

Looks like this is not available anymore!

They told me this would not be honored for my system that is out of warranty.  Costs would include:

$59 - Shipping, Diagnostics, Insurance
$81 - Battery
$39 - Trackpad (if needed)
$49 - Labor

Total: Roughly $230

Thanks Dell!

1 Message

May 27th, 2019 10:00

Just had a lengthy conversation with tech support on this topic, and was stunned to find out they never contacted me on email for this recall for defective battery. This issue took some time for it to happen to me, they should still be responsible to address it. Same as what Apple did for millions of iPhone batteries they made good on. Why was I not contacted?

They mentioned they would no longer honor for my system that is out of warranty.  Talked with 2 different reps with tech support. They gave me costs and knew that very quickly....costs would include:

$39 - Shipping etc..
$81 - Replacement Battery
$39 - Track pad
$49 - Labor

Total: $208

Normally a very happy Dell customer, but not today. Tech support does not understand it will impact my buying decisions in the future.

1 Message

February 19th, 2020 08:00

Same here. XPS 15 (9550)" (32 GB RAM) in Dec 2016

Just got off the phone with support. They suggested that it’s a swollen battery and I need to ship my 3-year-old laptop to them and pay all parts and labor.  No thanks. Second Dell that did not make it to 5

25 Posts

February 20th, 2020 05:00

It happens due to a battery issue.

No Events found!