Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

February 14th, 2020 16:00

XPS 15 9560, 3 amber, 5 white lights blinking

About a couple of days ago I tried to turn on my XPS which I had use just an hour before but it wouldn't turn on. I noticed that the LED in the from was bilking and repeating a certain pattern (3 Amber and 5 White). went on Dell.com and found a table showing different combinations of Amber and White lights. Mine was listed as error message "SMBIOS FLASH CORRUPTION" no solution was recommended just to see a technician!  I don't have any receiver, for a mouse or anything else, plugged in. I took the computer to the store (Microsoft) where I bought it from. They tried to flash the BIOS and connected the laptop to another monitor but they couldnot see anything on the other monitor and told me they cannot do anything else since the screen does not turn on. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

July 29th, 2020 05:00

Though it's not documented on this system, 3-5 is a power rail failure on other systems, so it likely means the same here.  Unless you're willing to start swapping surface mount components and have the tools to do that job, the only practical solution is the one you're likely to end up doing anyway:  replace the system board.

Community Manager

• 

2.6K Posts

April 3rd, 2024 15:57

Hi all,

According to the Reference Guide to the XPS Laptop Diagnostic Indicators, 3 amber and 5 white indicates a SBIOS Flash Corruption. For this, a hard reset might help you fix this problem:

Follow these steps to perform a hard reset:

1. Turn off the laptop.

2. Disconnect  the AC adapter and remove the battery or simply remove the base cover and disconnect the battery cable.

3. Disconnect all devices such as USB drives, printers, webcams, and media cards (SD/xD).

4. Press and hold the power button for 15 to 20 seconds to drain the residual power.

5. Connect the AC adapter and battery.

6. Turn on the computer.

If the steps above doesn't work, proceed with the BIOS recovery: How to Recover the BIOS on a Dell Computer

If you still need assistance, please contact support by clicking the ‘Get Help Now’ button located at the bottom right corner of the page. The button is marked with a help icon for easy recognition as per the picture below: 

(edited)

• 

25.7K Posts

February 15th, 2020 10:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to write back whenever you are available.

9 Posts

March 10th, 2020 13:00

Same thing happened to me last week-end, I used it Friday night, lock the screen. Monday morning I needed to print something and it never turned back on, I get the 3 amber, 5 white flash combination all the time but haven't found anything regarding the SMBIOS part. Looks like nothing is happening, I removed the battery, tried on power only, same behavior.

April 27th, 2020 03:00

HI,

I also have the same issue with a XP15 9560; 5 white, 3 amber, refusing to boot (i.e. I don't even get the "DELL" splash screen and an option to enter the BIOS)

I'd had this problem pretty much since I bought the computer, but it has usually very sporadic and it goes away after an hour- recently it seems to be more frequent.

Suggestions/updates very gratefully received!!

Kind regards,

dom

186 Posts

April 27th, 2020 19:00

1. First remove the battery, unplug the power plug, press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds, then plug in the power supply to see if it can be turned on, if it still can't be turned on, continue with the following steps.
2. Remove the battery, unplug the power plug, and use a Phillips screwdriver to open the back cover screws. There is an opening on one side of the cover. Use a screwdriver to gently lift the cover along the opening. Then you can remove the cover.
3. After removing the cover, locate the memory module, and use a screwdriver to gently open the snaps on both sides of the memory module so that the memory module can be released. Gently remove the memory module and wipe it to see if the memory module is intact. Wait a while before installing it.
4. Follow the disassembly method to cover the cover, install the battery, turn on the power button and restart.

9 Posts

July 28th, 2020 05:00

I don't believe it's a BIOS problem. I decided to send it back for diagnostic and pay the 59$ in order to get their inputs on this problem since I paid over 2K$ 3 years ago and I am a bit pissed about this as well. Sending the unit back today and will update this post once I get their diagnostic. I expect they will propose to replace the motherboard, and/or the display board.

12 Posts

July 28th, 2020 05:00

Hi, I also had the same problem, after 3 years of use my PC I had to disassemble to change the thermal paste, the warranty had also expired, after disassembly to disassemble the battery on the flex cable input there was the cover, I tried to unscrew but the slot was not soldered i.e. it was a production error I think, while I was unscrewing he made a short on resistances, immediately after I disassembled the battery, and changed the thermal paste, after I tried to access, I had no sign of life, when I press the power button it lights up, but the fans do not turn, and it continues to do 3 orange LEDs 5 white LEDs, I tried contacting the guarantee they told me they can make a quote but you have to pay a shipping cost of about 60 euros, I thought a little was not worth it because the minimum will require 600/800 euros which I do before to take a used one, but I wanted to solve the problem. I disassembled everything, disassembled the motherboard ssd le ram cmos battery, all disassembled kept for 2/3 hours without any connection, then I pressed for 30 seconds 10 times on the power button, after the test he had the same problem, then with the multimeter I tested all the resistors all the transistors, the capacitors, they were all working, at this point the last thing to do is to change the bios chip, I am not very expert on air soldering, for this reason, I have not touched, sincerely to this point I am looking for a solution, because I spent about 2 thousand euros 3 years ago, I believe that at least dell can share what it means 3 orange LEDs and 5 white LEDs what is needed, it does not make sense to say probably bios problem, it should say that it is a problem of bios, someone technician who can solve this type of problem? can share your experience thanks, I also tested the cmos battery is working, but pc always has the same problem, it doesn't start.

12 Posts

July 28th, 2020 11:00

okay bro,I'm waiting for your answer, let's see if dell can repair without changing the motherboard, and what they will write on the description of the repair, in theory I know a dell technician, he doesn't know the solution to the problem, he also doesn't know what kind of problem it is, not even on dell datasheet there is no written what is 3 orange led 5 white led .... i wait your answer thanks ..

• 

44 Posts

July 29th, 2020 03:00

Thank you for staying connected. I'm Dibyendu, and I will be assisting you

• 

44 Posts

July 29th, 2020 03:00

are you hearing any beep sound ? need to  diagnosed by beep sound...

• 

44 Posts

July 29th, 2020 04:00

can you do this following steps:

stop system disconnect all power then open a system remove ram from both ram slot.

clean both  ram with eraser 

then connect 1 ram into the ram slot (exchange slot)then power on machine

if you seeing same thing then again disconnect all power then 2 nos of ram clean by eraser and connect another slot then check this

if you getting same things so connect your local technician....

12 Posts

July 29th, 2020 04:00

I think xps 15 9560 has no speaker on the motherboard for the beep, however no beep sound, when I press the power button from the led on the power for 10/15 seconds then it switches off and on the battery led it continues to do 3 orange 5 white LEDs , I tried pressing the esc + ctrl key then connected to the power supply, after 3/4 seconds the power button LED lights up, then after 30 seconds it switches off then it lights up again and lights up the keyboard, but the fans do not turn.
always black screen

12 Posts

if it was a power problem, the power led did not work either, or the battery did not recognize, I don't think it is a power problem, most likely and a bios problem, I found the bios chip already programmed on ebay, but I am undecided to change, I would like to be sure what the problem would be, it makes no sense to say probably power.
and it does not make sense to change the motherboard, the minimum cost of the motherboard is 400/600 dollars, used of the pc is 700/900 dollars, is there a way to flashare the bios via usb? holding down the keys ctrl + esc?

12 Posts

I repeat, I have already tried disassembling everything I have tried to change the ram too, I have also tried with another compatible DDR4 ram, I understand you recommend going to a technician, but I am already a computer technician I know how all the technicians in my area work, the their experience is not enough to make such a repair, they say directly to change the motherboard, who is a technician knows what does 3 orange LEDs and 5 white LEDs mean? can't you give advice except change the motherboard? , all the things I tried I wrote on previous comments you can read please, thanks

No Events found!