Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 17th, 2018 11:00

XPS 15 9560, CPU/GPU, not working at full, solved

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody can help me with my GPU issue. I had my XPS 15 9560 for about 1,5 years now and everything was fine up until a month ago when i started noticing weird stuttering and performance drops when gaming or even when browsing Youtube.

I did a full 40 min test on dell website and everything passed except for my video card. (see photo)

When watching Youtube the stuttering mostly goes away after some time but when gaming it doesn't. The GPU also hovers around 60-70% (sometimes drops) whereas before it was at stable 99%.

Could it be a BIOS problem? (i did not pay much attention to updates unfortunately). The CPU is stuck at 0.8 GHz.

Thank you 

GPU-ZGPU-Z

Dell testDell test

16 Posts

December 19th, 2018 12:00

As far as i was able to find there are two funky fixes to this issue:

1. https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5uh6wo/fixing_your_dell_xps_cpu_stuck_at_minimum/ 

I had the same issue, the CPU was stuck at 800Mhz on Windows 10 and on Ubuntu.I found a fix without having to open the bottom lid and removing the battery:

Disconnect the power supply and use the laptop until the battery is empty.

The laptop shut down when the battery was almost empty, I restarted it again to really drain the battery. At 0% battery load I pressed the power button several times until nothing happened anymore. After waiting a minute I reconnected the power supply, hold the power button down for some seconds and started the laptop again. That solved it! The CPU now runs at 3.12 GHz as expected.

2. https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-G7-CPU-stuck-at-0-8-GHz-on-Battery/td-p/6111521

Has anyone found a proper solution for this? I am facing the same issue on my Dell XPS 15 9560 with the i7-7700HQ, the core frequency is stuck at 0.8GHz no matter the power option, or load. I tried updating every driver, and have the latest BIOS update, I tried changing and resetting the C-state and UEFI options and nothing changed. The system is passing all the tests Dell and Intel utility tools can possibly run. I tried booting in Safe Mode and noticed that the core frequency went back to 2.81ghz, which is normal, it's just when I boot into windows normally that it gets stuck again. I tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, as some suggested it may be to power delivery problems, but it was still stuck to the low frequency plugged or unplugged, and connected to the power or not.

The only work around for me was to try ThrottleStop, which many other threads recommended, and it's the only option that seemed to work. Specifically, you need to uncheck the BD PROCHOT option, BD PROCHOT stands for bi-directional processor hot. It is basically a signal line going to your Intel CPU. When a CPU receives a signal on this line, it is forced to immediately start throttling. It does this by dropping the CPU multiplier down to 8 so the CPU will be stuck at 800 MHz. It's a bad sensor in the motherboard apparently. If you uncheck the BD ProcHot option, you might see that the processor frequency will shoot up to the it's max all the time, so if you don't want that, you can check the Disable Turbo option, which will bring it down to it's regular base frequency, in my case 2.81ghz. 
I just wanted to see if more people are still facing this issue, and if it's truly a hardware issue relating to the sensor on the motherboard, or if some new update fixed anything. I hope Dell at least acknowledges us, because it's been very frustrating dealing with this issue personally, and seeing many others online facing the same problem.

24 Posts

November 17th, 2018 15:00

Go to a service to change the thermal grease of CPU and GPU or do it yourself if you know how to do it!

16 Posts

November 18th, 2018 09:00

I am not confident on the fact that its the thermal grease.

16 Posts

November 22nd, 2018 15:00

Any comment or ideas on the pictures?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 23rd, 2018 05:00

Thank you for your message. Did you run the hardware diagnostic using the Dell Support Assist Application?

If you have Dell Support Assist installed, click on troubleshoot – run diagnostic on a specific device & click on video stress test & check if the test passes without any errors.

Does the video stutter if you play an offline video?

What is the BIOS version installed?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Click here to find the service tag -  https://dell.to/2xXUCUW

68 Posts

November 23rd, 2018 21:00

A BIOS update on the Dell XPS 9570 a few months ago caused major issues with the GPU - if running under 48 degrees C. It could be a similar issue on the 9560, did you update the BIOS recently? https://www.notebookcheck.net/Some-Dell-XPS-15-9570-laptops-may-have-a-BIOS-related-GPU-bug.355026.0.html

16 Posts

November 25th, 2018 11:00

1. I did. No issues were found.

2. Yes it does.

3. I dont know that sadly.

16 Posts

November 25th, 2018 11:00

Can i fix it somehow?

The software from Dell Auto-updates so its difficult for me to tell.    

16 Posts

November 26th, 2018 13:00

Is it possible to solve the issue by downgrading my BIOS?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 27th, 2018 04:00

We do not recommend a BIOS update currently. You can check the BIOS version by typing system info on the start screen. This will show the BIOS version installed.

16 Posts

December 3rd, 2018 13:00

My BIOS is 1.12.1.

Was wondering if there are any updates?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

December 4th, 2018 03:00

Thank you for the confirmation. Did you get a chance to run the graphics stress test on the video card? Did you notice any FPS drops or abnormal temperature error?

16 Posts

December 4th, 2018 14:00

I ran Unigine Heaven 4.0. In some places there were FPS drops and stuttering and in some places there wasn't. As far as any abnormal temperature error i didn't notice any.

24 Posts

December 4th, 2018 19:00

By me it's a airflow design problem inside the laptop. Changing the thermal grease, undervolting the CPU, IGPU and GPU, making possible to transfer the heat from the VRM's to the bottom case (with thermal pads) will resolve this issue. I even try to overclock the GPU (+400 Mhz video memory, 1960Mhz at 1075mV on GPU speed) just for testing reasons and the results were ok in stress tests: no frame drops, 74 gr C - max CPU temp, 73gr C - max GPU temp, but the bottom case was very hot. I made the test putting a cooling pad under the laptop. So, the conclusions in my case were: no more frame drops. For my everyday use (Android Studio and VS 2017, MS SQL2017) I underclock and undevolt my GPU limiting it to 1683 Mhz at 875 mV and also undevolt my CPU with -140.6mV. The system is stable, the case is cold (without using cooling pad) and the temperatures are between 40 - 55 grC.

16 Posts

December 6th, 2018 12:00

I think the airflow design system is fine. My performance was at stable 99%

No Events found!