Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 4th, 2018 08:00

XPS 15 9560 USB C battery drain

Hello,
I have a Dell XPS 15 9560 and a cheap USB C USB3+Ethernet adapter bought from Amazon. If I leave the hub connected when I turn off my PC, the hub remains powered and and drains out my battery.
Is there a way to change this, such as maybe "turning off" the usb C port with the laptop itself?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 4th, 2018 10:00

Go into the BIOS and disable USB PowerShare.

4 Posts

March 7th, 2018 09:00

I did a copule of tests of enable/reboot/disable with the USB PowerShare feature and now it work.
Thank you so much

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 4th, 2018 16:00

Hmm, in that case I don't know of anything else that could be causing your USB ports to remain powered while the system is off, except possibly a firmware bug that isn't properly disabling PowerShare even when it's disabled in the BIOS settings?  Out of curiosity, how have you determined that the hub is the culprit here?  Does it have an LED on it to indicate that it's receiving power even though it doesn't have a separate AC power source?  And how significant is the battery drain?  I wouldn't have guessed that a USB hub would drain a battery very quickly unless maybe it's keeping other devices attached to the hub also powered.

4 Posts

March 4th, 2018 16:00

I tried but this didn't resolve the issue.

81 Posts

March 5th, 2018 14:00

Since your dongle have an Ethernet port you check in BIOS (end eventually disable) wake-on-lan feature and pre-boot thunderbolt execution. Maybe it will help.

4 Posts

March 6th, 2018 16:00

The USB devices attached to the hub are not powered when the PC is turned off, but the small led of the hub stays on.
It usually get the battery down of about 5% during night time, and that's pretty annoying (other that I don't think it's good for the battery life)

2 Posts

November 10th, 2018 18:00

I'm also having this issue with a USB-C hub that is connected to a VGA display, keyboard and mouse. I've disabled power share and also wake on lan, but the issue continues. Any tips?

This is just wasting battery cycles :/ 

No Events found!