Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

FV

March 7th, 2018 20:00

XPS 15 9560 battery Full Charge Capacity getting reduced fast.

Hi,

6 months ago I bought an XPS 9560 with a battery of 97Wh of Designed Capacity.

For the first 5 months the full charge capacity was 95Wh. But now, the latest weeks it started getting reduced really fast, and now it is at 87Wh.

So far, 87Wh is acceptable for the usage. But, I wonder if I could buy a new backup battery directly to Dell, as I work with it.

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

March 8th, 2018 04:00

Hi facundo.victor,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Battery life is normally calculated in charge/discharge cycles rather than watt hours.  Here is some information you may find helpful:

Laptop Battery FAQ

March 8th, 2018 06:00

Battery is a consumable product and its life keeps on degrading depending on usage.
Its absolutely normal for a battery to wear off after certain Charge/Discharge cycles.
For optimal performance from your battery.
Charge your battery online when its less then 20%.

March 17th, 2018 09:00

Thanks for your answer and information!

I'd like to know how to buy a battery to Dell for my XPS 15 9560, I want to have a backup, as I work with it and I consider it an important tool for my work.

I don't find the options on the page to buy it, and I don't want to buy one through amazon that may not be a Dell battery, but a "compatible" one that could fail.

Best regards,
Facundo

March 30th, 2019 04:00

Could anybody from Dell answer this question? Mine just stopped working after only 13 months and not very intense use

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

March 30th, 2019 06:00

Dell sometimes has unexplained issues providing replacement batteries. Contact Dell service for this. Most of those sold elsewhere are fakes. 

Li-ion battery lifetime is mostly quoted roughly 500 full cycles. If you're not a heavy battery user and you think the capacity is degrading too fast, make a warranty claim asap - later it will be regarded as "normal wear"; and it may be difficult to get a replacement even if you want to pay. 

> Charge your battery online when its less then 20%. 

Nonsense, this applies to older batteries. With li-ion, avoid draining to the bottom, but also charging to the max (better set max charge to 90% using Dell Command | Power Manager, charge to 100% only when needed). High-current drain also isn't healthy. 

December 20th, 2020 01:00

I bought my Dell XPS 15 9570 (with 97 WH battery lifespam) around 16 month ago

And now it's Full Charge capacity has dropped from (97,003 to 48,860) which is infurious, I think.

Is this normal for other users too..

I am curious.

No Events found!