Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 27th, 2020 14:00

XPS 15 9560, firmware 1.19.2, Alert! TPM is not detected

Followed all of the support knowledge base and some other guides, but nothing worked. Here is my situation:

1. Device Manager- not showing security devices at all (Including TPM)

2. BIOS (F2) has no option for TPM security

3. Bitlocker- off

4. TPM 2.0 firmware software and driver "TPM query failed"

5. When powering off, unplugged, wait 30 seconds, plug back in, turn on device - problem still shows up

6. When powering off, unplugged, take out battery, drain battery 60+ seconds, plug everything back- same problem

7. Downgrading to 1.15- "ME Firmware downgrade was not allowed", "Firmware update failed"

8. Admin powershell / disable-tpmautoprovisioning - device is not ready for use

9. tpm.msc - compatible TPM cannot be found

I read as much as I could, but I could not find a solution. 

@Dellalias

@TeHe 

@Richie1981 

@JD111 

If anyone could, Please help this poor student and Thanks!

3 Posts

August 7th, 2020 04:00

How is this not fixed yet?

1 Message

August 7th, 2020 05:00

I have the same problem. I have also tried almost every possible solution I have found on the web, to no avail. 

I am wondering if there is a pattern of laptop use that brings this error, or not. For example, I rarely switch off properly my laptop, and could have missed some crucial updates - could this be the issue that has brought this fault?

On the other hand I've read somewhere that there never was a TMP on the laptop, and that the updated BIOS may wrongly "look for" a TMP that is not there. In any case, will this issue disappear with the next update? Should we be worried about losing the laptop at all?

1 Message

August 11th, 2020 12:00

Same problem for me.  Come on Dell.  Your customers need a fix!!!!

August 14th, 2020 17:00

I am reading all about the XPS15 problems - these all are what i have been experiencing for over a year.  I have bought so many dell computers over the years for myself, family and friends.  But sadly, it looks like the long streak will end next time I have spare $.  I am trying to downgrade my BIOS to see if that cures my CURRENT issue.  I am frustrated and upset that i spent this much money on a high-end laptop that frequently is non-responsive and unfixable.  Despite YEARS of customer complaints from so many users. We deserve better Dell.

USE: I use the laptop as a trading platform and minor browsing/other apps.  (no games) with 32GB ram and the nvidia GPU, i thought the spec was more than adequate.  Except for this minor computer engineering thing that Dell has overlooked.

PROBLEMS: After updating all the drivers and bios, i now get random total shutdowns while on battery - no BSOD - just straight to black.  Worse, it has to be plugged in to restart. no errors show up in the logs either.

Another long-running issue is Desktop Window Manager sucking up ALL the GPU0 power, basically bringing the PC to a near halt.  I recently got serious about tracking it down by watching different metrics on the Task Manager/Performance tab. an update sometime reduces the issue, then here comes another Windows or Dell fix to make things worse.

Any advice/suggestions are welcome.

1 Message

August 17th, 2020 17:00

bump. also happening to mine.

August 18th, 2020 14:00

#MeToo

This is ridiculous. There's no point downgrading the BIOS to 1.15 as on a subsequent reboot, it starts flashing to 1.19.2 again, as a previous poster also experienced. 

I have a TPM module in this 9560 laptop - the order confirmation shows this. It is incredibly poor form to release a BIOS update that causes such an issue, not allow downgrading to a working version, then basically telling us to stick it where the by not providing any fix because the machine is out of warranty? And come on, who wants to pay upwards of ~£250 for extra premium support for a year just to have an issue fixed that was caused by Dell themselves? They cause an issue, they should well fix it.

19 Posts

August 18th, 2020 15:00

Same issue here. 
This started for my 8/16/2020, but I do remember a bios update recently.

XPS 15 9560
Bios 1.19.2
Windows 10 Home, never had bitlocker (?), never heard of TPM

Tried TPM 2.0 updater anyway, get Query Fails message.  
Tried the shutting down with/without power connected etc.   

I have no idea how to remove the battery here and sending it somewhere for a new motherboard sounds absurd with all my data and projects on it. 

I'm glad the $2000 laptop still works but I am not under warranty.  I have a little heart palpitation every time it sleeps or boots and gives me that screen.  
Thanks for having me I pray for some software fix

8 Posts

August 19th, 2020 15:00

I had a similar error today on my XPS 15 9560 - during bootup "Alert! TPM device is not detected." The TPM was not visible in the bios/ Windows device manager / tpm.msc

Found a 2016 solution - "restore Bios defaults" which worked for me and now no more error on boot and  also TMP visible in Bios,etc, the solution which worked for me:

• Switch the PC off
  • Disconnect Power plug
  • Press CTRL + ESC and reinsert the power plug
  • Menu appears with 3 options(restore default, rollback,etc)
  • Select "Restore BIOS defaults"
  • Laptop will restart and the error disappeared for me.

I will check the next few days and hope this problem is not back.

August 22nd, 2020 04:00

I'm experiencing the same issue and have tried all the suggested fixes including the last post of restoring BIOS defaults and nothing fixes this issue.

3 Posts

August 26th, 2020 11:00

Thanks this worked perfectly

5 Posts

August 26th, 2020 13:00

Thanks @fishfishmac for your solution. Unfortunately it didn't fully work for me. It does remove the error message but does not reactivate the TPM module. Windows still can't find the TPM anymore and Bitlocker can't be reactivated.

August 26th, 2020 13:00

Yeah, @GuiYomM sadly I can't help you with the reactivation of the TPM Device, since aparently doesn't have it built in. Lets hope, Dell brings out a solution fixing this mess soon.

5 Posts

August 27th, 2020 13:00

You saved my day. It works for me. I got a warning message at the end that the PC was shut down due to high temperature but it got flashed. So Im all good!

2 Posts

September 2nd, 2020 10:00

Thanks @fishfishmac , worked a treat for me too. Been bugging me for ages

1 Message

November 3rd, 2020 15:00

@HamsFazil Your answer worked for me, when no others did (no disrespect to the other posters).

To make it work for me, I selected "Roll Back" to force an attempt to roll back to the previous BIOS. Although the rollback didn't work, it DID stop the TPM messages (which nothing else had done) and allowed my Dell Latitude 5590 to boot and to show me the TPM options in the BIOS setup again. Many thanks for taking the time to give others the secret of Ctrl-Esc while plugging in main power!!!

No Events found!