Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 27th, 2019 22:00

XPS 15-9560, must boot twice to bypass being stuck at Logo

Particularly, the problem of being stuck at Dell logo happens when I first time

power on the laptop after the shutdown.

I need to manually press the power button to power off and then power on again to boot successfully.

(this time, there is spinning wheel under Dell Logo whereas first time, there is none under Dell Logo which means

the laptop is stuck)

In short, every time I shut down the laptop, I have to power on, power off then power on 

so as not to be stuck at Dell Logo.

My Bios is up to date and factory restored.

380 Posts

March 31st, 2019 04:00

Try turning off "Fast startup". There have been issues in the past with "fast startup".

1. You can find it in "Settings" > "System" > "Power and sleep" > "Additional power settings".

2. Click the "Choose what the power buttons do" on the left menu list.

2. Click on "Change settings that are currently available" link.

3. Uncheck "Turn on fast startup" and save.

Your system will now do a complete shutdown when you shut it down, It will take a little longer when you boot up, but it wont be much unless you have a very old computer.

JohnD

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 28th, 2019 04:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Devit 

There are two things that can solve this until Dell/Intel come up with a new update.

ONE:

Go to "Settings"

Then to "System"

Then on the left hand side click on "Power & Sleep"

Then on the right hand side click on "Additional Power Settings"

Then on the left hand side click on "Choose what Power Buttons Do"

Then click on "Change settings that are currently available"

Then un-check "Turn on fast startup" then "Save Changes" and reboot.

TWO:

Rollback the BIOS and IRST drivers.

Dell XPS 15 9560 System BIOS:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=yf1g0&oscode=wt64a&produc...

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=hmxxt&oscode=wt64a&produc...

Best regards,

U2

4 Posts

March 29th, 2019 19:00

Also, laptop automatically shutdown after being stuck for a while the first time boot from cold state

1 Message

September 3rd, 2019 03:00

did you solve the issue? i have a similar problem

2 Posts

September 3rd, 2019 15:00

This worked fine for me, no more problems on startup! Thank you.

I guess if I can have back some day the fast boot option or not... Why is this happening all of a sudden? I didn't do anything other than regular updates (from Dell and from Windows 10).

8 Posts

September 4th, 2019 10:00

@johnptd Worked for me, thanks
Me too hope Dell can provide some better solution and to get the fast startup option some day 

5 Posts

September 6th, 2019 01:00

I had the exact same issue, post by @johnptd  fixed the boot stuck at logo issue. Thanks.

3 Posts

September 9th, 2019 17:00

@johnptd Thank you very much - your proposed solution worked for me too.

380 Posts

September 10th, 2019 02:00

You all are welcome. Be careful of wishing for Fast Startup to come back. I think there is a flaw in it that could cause issues with your system. With Fast Startup your system does not totally shut down. It may do things during this pseudo shutdown period. I remember when I first installed Windows 10 on an old Lenovo ThinkPad. I did some things on it and then shut it down normally for the night. It was not plugged into AC and had a pretty good battery charge when I shut it down. The next day when I turned it back on, the battery had almost completely drained. I could not figure out what had happened until I discovered "Fast Startup". It obviously had been running things while it was supposedly shut down. Once I got rid of Fast Startup I never ran into that situation again.

JohnD

380 Posts

September 10th, 2019 04:00

You wonder what Windows is doing in the middle of the night. Look at the attached image. Windows 10 is set up to wake your computer up and perform maintenance (such as updates) at a set time unbeknownst to you.

JohnD

Win10_Automatic_Maintenance.jpg

2 Posts

September 10th, 2019 13:00

@johnptdthank you for the reply and for the thorough explanation about "fast boot"! One of my friends at work told me the same thing the other day: seems like fast boot is an option which is better set to off than on!

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

September 17th, 2019 14:00

@jjqq  @vincenzoc  @theslyfox  @Opalalot 

We need your help!!!

What SSD/HDD do you have installed???

Best regards,

U2

1 Message

October 28th, 2019 04:00

I have the same issue with my XPS 15 9560.

• I deactivated "Fast Startup"
  • Updated all drivers (Bios 1.16)
  • Restored Bios settings to default
  • Ran Dell Diagnostics (No errors)
  • Ran SupportAssist (No errors)

Still stuck at the Dell Logo.

1 Message

November 20th, 2019 16:00

#2 should be "currently unavailable"

2 Posts

December 9th, 2019 15:00

Good call!  Applying the old Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver did the trick for me!

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=hmxxt&oscode=wt64a&produc...

No Events found!