Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

February 28th, 2021 05:00

XPS 15 9560 - should I upgrade the SSD?

I've had this laptop now since 2018. I have the stock 512gb SSD (PC401 NVMe SK hynix 512GB) and 16GB RAM.

The most I might do on it would be photo editing and maybe on a rare occasion I'd do some video editing with Camtasia. 

In the time that I have had it I have swapped out the AWFUL killer WiFi card and installed an Intel AX200 - which has been great. I also cleared out all the dust from the fans at the time. 

However I have noticed that my bootup times are not the best with compared to some old old laptops that I have been upgrading to SSDs (WD Blue SSDs) for some people (including a 2012 MacBook Pro on one occasion). 

I presume this is because the SSDs that Dell install aren't as good as some of the SSDs that are out there? If so, that seems a bit of a travesty considering the money you spend on the laptop. 

I am considering upgrading my SSD. I like and want my machine to be slick and snappy  

• 

25.1K Posts

February 28th, 2021 23:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

March 2nd, 2021 04:00

Anyone? 

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

I don’t need you to ‘ascertain’ the warranty, I know the warranty has expired. Thanks. 
And even if it was still active you still wouldn’t help properly

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

I doubt there will be much of a difference between the WD Blue and the drive you have.  A WD Black, yes. 

That said, load time can be impacted by much more than the drive speed - it is tied to how many drivers, programs, etc. load at startup and to the overall condition of the system.  
You may well find that a no-cost internal cleaning plus a reformat/reinstall on your existing hardware -- together with a low-cost replacement of the heatsink compounds -- does more to restore the system's speed than a new drive will (though if you plan to reload Windows, that'll be taken care of in the upgrade as well).

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

March 13th, 2021 15:00

Is this not a bit rubbish?

Capture.PNG

Other than disk cleanup and disabling a lot of start up items (I have done this already) what else is there to do? re-image? And what if I re-image and then I realise ah but it could be better than this drive. Then I need to order one and wait until it arrives and in the meantime I can't use my laptop unless I load all the software onto it - only then to do it all again once the new SSD arrives. 

Apologies if I am in any way ignorant.

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

March 14th, 2021 06:00

Bump

No Events found!