Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I have an issue that renders the audio on this laptop unusable.

I have a new XPS 9570, and occasionally (I stress that word because 75% of the time there is no issue) when playing audio, either through the built in speakers or through the audio jack, there is a loud popping and crackling noise that accompanies the audio. This renders any audio generated by the laptop unusable.

Because the issue is not always present, it is very hard to debug since you can't know if the issue was actually fixed, or just temporarily gone.

Testing I have done thus far:

When playing a continuous tone, such as generated by  , the issue is still present.

The crackling and popping increases with system volume, so if I turn the volume up on the laptop, the crackling becomes louder.

I have reflashed the BIOS to the newest version, uninstalled realtek, reinstalled realtek, disabled wave-maxx-audio (or whatever it is called), and tried using the built in windows drivers. Nothing has worked.

And note that when playing from bluetooth, there is no issue. So it is not a software issue in that way.

Very disappointing that on such an amazing laptop (it truly is amazing), an integral part of it is basically useless.

February 27th, 2019 14:00

1 Message

February 28th, 2019 02:00

Hi Alan,

Since i bought this laptop in Septembre i also have these audio issues. Never placed my own story, because i thought it would be fixed much faster. Since the audio driver update, my audio issues (crackling) got even louder. I made a recording while i just played some music on Spotify (all the other apps were closed: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13yqgCTTaL9CAPPYLkVaTsN6KrAWckVk-/view?usp=sharing

I hope there will be a fix soon! Ps. i also answered the google link with questions.

Kind regards,

PeelChris

February 28th, 2019 03:00

I have not tested the new BIOS version yet.
But I found something:
1. I have no sound problem when I play the music on Groove Music and
2. If I have groove music running in the background without playing anything, I have no problems synonymous in other applications.

I will test again my statement and will report how the whole thing behaves.

11 Posts

February 28th, 2019 09:00

Hello all, I've been researching this issue extensively since buying a new XPS 15 last fall and experiencing popping/crackling/glitching etc.  I've tested various sound settings to no avail.  I wanted to share my computer's behavior as another data point for consideration...

I have a new Dell XPS 15 Windows 10 laptop with iTunes 12.9.2.6. If I pause playback in iTunes, when I start it again there is terrible static on top of the music. This static carries over to any audio playback like general alert sounds from the computer or audio from websites or any other source...all from pausing playback in iTunes. The only remedy to clear up the sound is to restart iTunes. But if the playback in iTunes is paused for a short while and restarted from any audio source, the static returns.

My issues with the static is somehow related to iTunes but I intermittently hear digital glitching/clipping from any playback source. My previous XPS did not have these issues and I listen to music constantly so this is a huge problem for me.

I hope there is a solution soon. I filled out the survey from the moderator. Thanks

2 Posts

February 28th, 2019 15:00

Had the same problem and was pretty upset. Wanted to refund this laptop but the bios update solved this issue. No more cracking for me thank god.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

March 1st, 2019 03:00

@Wooglin wrote:

Hello all, I've been researching this issue extensively since buying a new XPS 15 last fall and experiencing popping/crackling/glitching etc.  I've tested various sound settings to no avail.  I wanted to share my computer's behavior as another data point for consideration...

I have a new Dell XPS 15 Windows 10 laptop with iTunes 12.9.2.6. If I pause playback in iTunes, when I start it again there is terrible static on top of the music. This static carries over to any audio playback like general alert sounds from the computer or audio from websites or any other source...all from pausing playback in iTunes. The only remedy to clear up the sound is to restart iTunes. But if the playback in iTunes is paused for a short while and restarted from any audio source, the static returns.

My issues with the static is somehow related to iTunes but I intermittently hear digital glitching/clipping from any playback source. My previous XPS did not have these issues and I listen to music constantly so this is a huge problem for me.

I hope there is a solution soon. I filled out the survey from the moderator. Thanks

@Wooglin thanks for wanting to contribute more info to the investigation and for providing details of the steps you have used to try and recreate it. That's much appreciated. 

I'll drop you a private message to get your service tag details.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

@PeelChris wrote:

Hi Alan,

Since i bought this laptop in Septembre i also have these audio issues. Never placed my own story, because i thought it would be fixed much faster. Since the audio driver update, my audio issues (crackling) got even louder. I made a recording while i just played some music on Spotify (all the other apps were closed: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13yqgCTTaL9CAPPYLkVaTsN6KrAWckVk-/view?usp=sharing

I hope there will be a fix soon! Ps. i also answered the google link with questions.

Kind regards,

PeelChris

@PeelChris thanks for your contribution, I'll drop you a private message to get some tag details from you so I can add it to my data file.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

@Axl Jay wrote:

Hi @Dell-Alan D ,

just to keep you informed that since the installation of the last realtek driver I did not experienced audio glitches with audio playing anymore.

However I'm still having stuttering\popping\crackling with my external audio device while editing\recording with my DAW Reaper (power settings max performance, cpu around 25%, RAM less 50%, no other applications running). Even disabling C-State Control doesn't make any significant improvement for me.  I'm still blaming the DPC latency problem.

@Axl Jay thanks for the update. I shall pass this info on and I'll drop you a private message to get some tag details from you if that's ok.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

@Hendi wrote:

Had the same problem and was pretty upset. Wanted to refund this laptop but the bios update solved this issue. No more cracking for me thank god.

@Hendi glad to hear the BIOS update worked for you. To be very clear, can you confirm the exact issue that you were experiencing was an infrequent crackling from the speakers and not interference or pops when resuming from standby?

I'll drop you a private message to get your tag details so add as another reference point.

Alan

March 1st, 2019 12:00

The BIOS update unfortunately on my device did not correct the sound.

Also:
The display is still flickering.
S3 still does not work.

14 Posts

March 2nd, 2019 13:00

It seems to have gotten better -- could well be thanks to a BIOS or Windows/driver update, of which there have been a couple. When I run DPC Latency Checker, I am mostly in the green now. However, there are still frequent short pops/clicks, both when using the USB audio interface as well as the built in Realtek (although I hardly use it as I cannot connect my monitors to mini jack). It is annoying to not even be able to listen to the music properly, and of course it is disturbing while working with sound in itself. But to either perform or record audio out straight from the computer is plain impossible; in fact so is using the laptop for any public presentation involving audio. Especially since there is another problem with background hum coming from the PSU (disappears when the power adapter is unplugged).

So apart from endlessly waiting for Dell to solve this and pray God they won't give up -- what's my best bet right now to get this machine as fit for audio as possible? Change the wifi card for Intel's I heard -- is it still worth it after the updates? Is there a way to eliminate the PSU hum? Would getting a new fast audio interface (e.g. Thunderbolt-based) help with any of this?

March 5th, 2019 05:00

Ive been trying to work through this for a while now and nothing seems to fix this for good. Ive updated to the latest bios and while it helped for the first day the popping and cracks are back even worse then before. With the previous BIOS things seemed to sound slightly better.

Basically if I have any other program open other then my DAW I get the pops and static etc. I have to close all other apps, restart my DAW and then it seems to come through decently.

It **bleep** living in fear of turning your headphones up because you dont know if your ears will be blown out by **bleep** noise.

March 5th, 2019 09:00

Another victim here.

I got this laptop in January and since the beginning the sound has been crackling and distorted from time to time (once per week maybe).

With the driver update the laptop was ok for more than one week and now few days ago I dared to update the Bios and now I am getting again noise distortion.

It is my first Dell laptop and for the price I have paid I was expecting 100% quality and zero headaches. 

4 Posts

March 5th, 2019 20:00

It is very sad to still see people buying this laptop based on false positive reviews on YouTube and elsewhere. I wish there was a way to announce on a big platform, that this is a +1600$ UNUSABLE device. For you my friend I hope you can return it and go for a Thinkpad or Macbook, because waiting and hoping for an update everyday is terrible. We do not deserve this. I swear this was my last Dell product

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

March 6th, 2019 02:00

@st-kovalenko wrote:

The BIOS update unfortunately on my device did not correct the sound.

Also:
The display is still flickering.
S3 still does not work.

@st-kovalenko as this thread is about the audio issues on the system I shall privately about the other two concerns.

Alan

No Events found!