Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I have an issue that renders the audio on this laptop unusable.

I have a new XPS 9570, and occasionally (I stress that word because 75% of the time there is no issue) when playing audio, either through the built in speakers or through the audio jack, there is a loud popping and crackling noise that accompanies the audio. This renders any audio generated by the laptop unusable.

Because the issue is not always present, it is very hard to debug since you can't know if the issue was actually fixed, or just temporarily gone.

Testing I have done thus far:

When playing a continuous tone, such as generated by  , the issue is still present.

The crackling and popping increases with system volume, so if I turn the volume up on the laptop, the crackling becomes louder.

I have reflashed the BIOS to the newest version, uninstalled realtek, reinstalled realtek, disabled wave-maxx-audio (or whatever it is called), and tried using the built in windows drivers. Nothing has worked.

And note that when playing from bluetooth, there is no issue. So it is not a software issue in that way.

Very disappointing that on such an amazing laptop (it truly is amazing), an integral part of it is basically useless.

1 Message

February 17th, 2020 06:00

Same for me, had this problem since I've got the laptop, tried all possible suggestions without any result. Tuning settings in WaveMaxx help to reduce cracking slightly but I still hear it. Customer support wasn't helpful either.

The only reliable sort of solution for me was going to apple store and buying usb-c jack, with it sound works flawlessly. Shame on you, Dell.

4 Posts

March 28th, 2020 11:00

After 5 days of hopeless troubleshooting (severe crackling coming both from the laptop speakers as well as headphones was driving me crazy) and several calls with Dell support (the best they could offer was motherboard replacement), what finally solved the problem for me was reducing the DPC latency.

Specifically, based on recommendations from the community

1/ I installed free DPC Latency Checker, which showed my DPC latency being constantly at around 16000us with acceptable levels being below 2000us

2/ I tweaked the Power & Sleep inside Win10 - various changes offered various levels of improvement, with the simplest advice being 'select any power plan other than the Balanced one'  and ‘remove sleep / power saving options’. That substantially helped to get rid of the crackling, but the latency was still at around 2000-4000us

3/ after installation of the Dell Power Manager utility and selecting 'Ultra Performance' Thermal management, the latency finally reduced down to just 1000us, while - ironically - the notebook became significantly quieter than before

No Events found!