Highlighted
3 Argentum

Re: XPS 9570 BIOS - Sleep Mode Gone?

Jump to solution

thanks @ZDC  that is actually a good idea .... clean install .... i recall reading something about windows setting S3 at the time of install..... just didnt have the time to try that but i might also hold on for newer BIOS with S3 enabled before doing that, I dont really want to run on an older BIOS, could be some security issues going forward.

Come on Dell .... 1.11 enable S3 again !!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I understand everyone's anger at Dell for taking away something that is very useful. However, the real issue is that Microsoft has changed Windows 10 and they are the ones responsible for the loss of S3.

Read the article at this link.

Capture.JPG

Dell doesn't have much choice when it comes to installing Windows 10 on new laptops. They have to follow the protocol mandated by Microsoft. If they were to back date the BIOS to do what we want a lot of users would face reinstalling the OS and that would be a bigger support problem for Dell. I have a one year old XPS 15 9560 with Linux Mint 19 installed and sleep works like we all want it to, not the way Microsoft wants it to. A problem that goes back to the original days of MS-DOS and the first version of Word is that Microsoft wants you to do things their way, not the way you want it to work. I am really happy I don't live in the Microsoft world.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Yes, but other manufacturers have realized the issue and extended support for S3, not to mention the fact that other operating systems still use S3. Just Google Lenovo S3, forums are full of their customers also complaining with the result being a new BIOS with S3 support coming back.

Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

The BIOS option to force S3 is what lets us install Windows /without/ it defulting to S0.

Otherwise at install it default to S0.

Then requires a reinstall to switch to S3.

But it then defaults to S0 requiring a reinstall to switch to S3.

Until Dell gives us the force S3 option back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This is not a fix, but it is my favorite alternative.  These laptops will hibernate, even though the option is not shown in the power menu. 

Create a batch file called hibernate.bat on the desktop with the following command:

shutdown /h

It will save the state to disk, and shutdown. then it will restore when powered back on - which all happens pretty fast thanks to the SSD.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Did anyone try the latest BIOS ?

Dont see any mention of sleep mode 😞

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=wghf7&oscode=wt64a&produc...

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

No don't worry... It's jusr another worthless update, which could cause more problems at the end. 

That's nothing more than ridiculous Dell... But what am I talking. They don't care anyway about what we are saying here

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Guys a new BIOS update is out!!!

Reduces Deferred Procedure Call (DPC)! Which might is the solution at least for the sound issues.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/at/de/atdhs1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=kkwch&oscode=wt64a&pr...

other blog: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9570-Audio-crackling-and-popping/td-p/6105798/page/36

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution
It shouldn‘t but it does. Just read all the comments around the internet.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Been having the same issue and I somehow sorted it out (still testing though). My laptop wouldn't go to sleep and what's worse, S0 Low Power seemed to make Linux VMs in VMWare player freeze when I the host was going into that state. So last evening I set off on trying to sort it out.

* I've updated my BIOS to latest (1.18).

At this point when checking `powercfg -a` it would say S3 is not available because of S0 Low Power

* Enabled S1-S3 in GPO: https://superuser.com/questions/1179987/activate-sleep-states-after-win10-install

* And then disabled Modern standby in registry https://code.luasoftware.com/tutorials/windows/win10-problematic-modern-standby/

At this point when checking `powercfg -a` it would say S3 is supported and S0 Low Power not available.

I can't remember what version of BIOS I was running when I'd last installed the OS. There's posts saying that some settings will only work if when installing the OS S3 was available. So perhaps I was on a version that still supported S3 when I've installed the OS ...

Hope it helps others as well ...

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

There is an easy fix for this problem! Works with the latest bios and all older bios and it forces S3 Sleep. Been using it for a while and it works.
It disables the Dell modern standby (wich causes the problem) and sets the regular sleep function as default. (the sleep we all know and love, no fan spin, no random wakes)

Press start -> type: regedit -> press enter. Then navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled

When you press the second to last folder (power) there is a file on the right side called CsEnable. Right click it, press modify and set the value to 0.

Tada! No more modern standby and regular sleep function has been restored! After that check the bios power settings and make sure al the “wake on ….” Functions are turned off.

Disclaimer:  Be carful when working in bios and registry edit. Also, this fix is working golden for me but be carefull, after an update by dell it might revert back to old sleep someday and overheat again.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution
I can't thank you enough for this! For months I've been searching for a solution and yours seems to be working.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Only problem I'm running into now is that that my network adapter isn't recognized after coming out of sleep. Somebody has a fix for this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

hi billybb,

The problem doesn’t occur with me so I cant reproduce it. My best guess would be to do the following:

it might be happening if the network adapter is allowed to be disabled to save power on hibernation and/or sleep. To uncheck the setting, follow the steps.

1. Open Device Manager
  2. Expand Network Adapters
  3. Right click on the Network adapter installed on your computer
  4. Go to Properties
  5. On the Power Management tab uncheck all the boxes and apply the settings
  6. Restart the computer and check if the network card works fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
It really works man. All probs to you! Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Thank you! It almost work for me too, with the following exception: If I have a media playing then I close the lid, the laptop will not wake up again (black screen, but light in keyboard). I'm really happy that this is working because for some reason it take >2 minutes to boot windows on this darn thing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi,

Hi polarbeardk,

It could be that the power multimedia settings are messing with the sleep settings. I can reproduce your problem with a second screenattached by making a change in my power settings. So maybe that is set the way I set it to reproduce the problem.

Go to: Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Power Options -> Edit Plan Settings.

Click on advanced power settings.

In advanced settings go to Multimedia settings -> When sharing media -> prevent idling to sleep

Not sure if this is the fix so remember how it was set before you change it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I just logged in to say THANK YOU! I'm so happy to have normal sleep back. Last night I had charged my laptop to 100%. I got to work this morning about 10 hours later, and my laptop had 64% battery left! Found this solution, and battery life is back to what it should be. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Ooooh yeah you nailed it! THANK YOU SO MUCH @Stijn2 !.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

"At this point when checking `powercfg -a` it would say S3 is supported and S0 Low Power not available."

Didn't show up for me when I first tried, but somehow it worked after the third time. Seems like it needed a proper restart in between. My laptop is now sleeping... thank you!! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi @dell-robert p

How can achieve this in Ubuntu 18.10 ?

It drains the battery if I "sleep" the laptop during 2-3 days, and even it is warm. I am worried this can cause a fire at home.

Thanks forehand

Rafael Rios

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Rafael,

Try this from the Ubuntu Forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hello Robert,

I read your post, the one you say "Dell has decided to support the "Modern Standby" from our partner Microsoft.".

Could you please inform the people from Dell you are connected to that I am writing an article about it and I will soon inform every airline company?

It is DANGEROUS and it can lead to fire if a laptop resumes itself, suddenly, while it is in a bag or even worse while it is in the overhead compartment. Could Dell ignore this?

<Every manufacturers laptop should be powered OFF prior to being put in a bag or plane overhead compartment. DELL>

The XPS line will be likely treated (banned) as the well known Samsung Note 7.

If you want to "support" a new feature just ensure it is safe and working before forcing the user to use it and deleting BIOS settings or, using a bit of common sense, just leave it off by default and let the user EXPERIMENT unstable modes like this. At least, it should be a choice, don't you think?

Thanks

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Same problem here. Waiting for Dell to fix it.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Same problem on my side, obliged to use the hibernate option to ensure that it will not melt in my backpack... This is a pity. Probably my last Dell.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Please share the article here when you do. Dell shouldn't of even considered removing it .

Highlighted

Jump to solution

@dell-robert p,

Do your superiors know the problems associated with this model (which are described here)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Screenshot_20190213-215834_Twitter.jpg

Even Azor Frank knows it .. I think it won't take so long anymore to be fixed by Dell. Azor is solving problems in this company like nobody else... 

Twitter Link: https://twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/1093947567438786560

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Let's just hope that it gets fixed.
By the way, do you also have problems with the sound with the XPS 9570?
https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9570-Audio-crackling-and-popping/td-p/6105798

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Nope i dont have this issue 🤔

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

That's interesting, I thought the problem have all XPS 9570.

Thank you for your answer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Will not be recommending Dell XPS to friends because of this sleep mode issue and all the other issues.

This laptop will sometimes just heat up in my bag even if I've put it to 'sleep mode', and yeah, no surprise the battery has drained a chunk due to this.

Highly recommend setting a timeout value for Windows to automatically Hibernate.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I set the power button to activate hibernation and not sleep mode anymore. Because of the fast ssd, i really dont see much a difference.

I am a programmer and I understand Dell if it takes longer to fix such a problem, cos it can be connected to many other small related errors and could create a chain reaction of other errors. So for everyone who is missing proper sleep mode, use hibernate instead until the problem is fixed. I am so super happy with my notebook and my opinion won't change bec of some error like this.

But Dell please speed up a little. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@chainstair,
I wish that was my only problem with the 9570. But unfortunately not ...
If you have no sound problems and the display does not flicker, you're in luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Okay i better shut my mouth then. Have u considered to use the next business day service support? They once changed my whole motherboard, bec from one min to the other mine was suddenly broken. Since then abs no issues anymore. That's 8 months ago or smth 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@chainstair,

I think almost all have used the support here. And the problems persist. Luckily I have not found any problems with WLAN. Unfortunately, some other users have less luck.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
They just launched an update for the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver. Could solve the problem u mentioned... https://www.dell.com/support/home/at/de/atdhs1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=ggy72&oscode=wt64a&pr...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi guys, some things I can assure from my findings:

1. updating to 14 feb audio drivers (6.0.1.8603) won't solve any problem. I forced the newest 6.0.1.8622 driver and the problem is still here.

2. audio drivers won't solve the problem because even if you disable the audio card (from BIOS) you will still have all those acpi calls.

3. If I suspend the pc, when I resume it the screen always flickers once every 70 seconds (almost precise) until I reboot. Does your XPS behave the same?

I tried ... every existing compatible drivers with our hardware, the problem is within the BIOS.

my 2 cents

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I am really sorry to hear that.. I really hoped that u guys have received the hotfix by Dell, but obviously it was just a trash update.

I don't have any of your mentioned problems with my XPS 9570. It is just ultra strange.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Chainstair, thank you for your feedback. Since you say you do not have any problem I would like to ask you, please, if you could give us some additional info on your system performance.

First of all, could you please load https://www.resplendence.com/download/LatencyMon.exe for 2 minutes and tell us what are your results?

It could even be that you have a different motherboard and , if so, they would HAVE TO recall defective units to replace it.  we are waiting since... September for a solution and I am asking Nelson Mak for any news and he does not even reply. It's a SHAME, there is no other word to describe what's the situation.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
Okay Dude... I will do so and will post my results later that day. I understand your anger. I was there too when my motherboard crashed. I hope for the best Best regards!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Obviously not all users / notebooks have the same problems. I have prepared this ready.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Here are my LatencyMon Results:

Hope they can help you guys...Screenshot (175).pngScreenshot (176).pngScreenshot (177).pngScreenshot (178).pngScreenshot (179).pngScreenshot (180).pngScreenshot (181).pngScreenshot (182).pngScreenshot (183).png

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hello chainstair, Thank you so much for the screenshots, I am sorry to say that it is clear from the pictures that you have the same problem. So your motherboard is not an exeption (I wished it was)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Your welcome...

That is so ultra strange seriously.

I hope that Dell will speed a little with these major problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Just recently got my 9570, decided to replace my ageing 9550, totally disappointed with all these issues. Would be bad on any laptop but on a 2k flagship device its really difficult for me to comprehend how this is possible. Sleep broken, poor audio, screen flickering, terrible latency, <Profanity removed> wifi, coil whine, and those are just the issues I've noticed in a few days of using it.

Fun fact, my 9550 also had a sleep issue, it would randomly wake from S3, and surprise me with a dead battery and hot bag. Dell support insisted it was not a hardware issue and would eventually be fixed with a BIOS update .... it was ..... after 2 years 😞

I didn't expect that 2 generations of XPS later I would be going through the same **bleep**, I even waited a while before purchasing to give them time to iron out the issues. I was really tempted to give the X1 a try but the XPS had better battery life and I was kind of familiar with the design, really starting to regret this choice, ironic that I thought I would get better battery life on the XPS.

I have contacted Dell support, right now I am getting the standard 'try the latest drives' and "update to the latest BIOS' canned responses that no doubt everyone on this forum is getting, but of course I already tried everything before even bothering to contact them. 

Its too late for me to get a refund on this machine, I purchased a few months ago but only recently started using it (I was travelling and ordered it when it was on sale), so right now I am considering what would be the best way to handle this because from what I've been reading, the 9570 is a dud and Dell seem to be ignoring or justifying these issues as normal operation.

Any suggestion? How many others are in the same boat, too late to return and are utterly disappointed they need to do a full shutdown instead of just closing the lid?

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Unfortunately we are ALL on the same boat. This is a forum page on a Dell site, where a moderator (Robert) replied until the things got clear that it is an engineer problem, something to do with the motherboard or the BIOS. They used promises to let us go into a non returnable period. This is unacceptable, But.... The is a but. If you all tell them what is the situation on Twitter, even by liking my posts, which are more than clear and direct in my opinion (I am andyspeaking) we could gain something. Try commenting and pread the voice, I linked many forum pages to them but I am sure that giving our voice on Twitter would be more powerful, because the use it everyday to promote and advertise.. And still I got no reply on what's the progress. Some minutes ago I commented this... <Non-public info removed> Try to do the same and they will eventually wake up. Once again, it's a shame.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

@Andy_it  Appreciate your thoughts and the effort you have put in thus far, I'm just beginning my journey to get this resolved so the experienced shared thus far is really helpful.

I'm not really a twitter user, I understand the impact that social media can have, other than adding a tweet, I dont have many followers so in effect very little leverage but I will give it a go. Whilst there are obviously more than a handful of people affected by this, its really hard to know the exact number and without banding together to get some real focus and attention on this problem I fear that it comes across as irate individuals that simply have a bone to pick.

Any suggestions on how we can put some concerted effort to get this solved? What about starting a facebook group or at least some platform that will allow everyone that has been affected by this to be counted together?

Is there anyone else in this thread (or any related threads) that is facing the same issues and wants a solution? All suggestions are welcome.

In the meantime I am going to start my dialogue with Dell (as I have only just logged a support ticket with them regarding all of these issues) and lets see what they have to say. At this point I have to give them an opportunity to remedy this or at least give a satisfactory plan for fixing all these issues. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Welcome aboard Simon. I use Twitter just to talk to Dell, as it seems they interact more on Twitter than FB.

You can also like/comment/follow these other tweets of mine with Nelson Mak, the technician https://twitter.com/maknelly90/status/1093584907954196480

In those tweets I also gave him the links of every forum we are writing on (reddit & Dell)

This one with Frank Azor:

https://twitter.com/Benjami12333572/status/1093539994181033984

Today I found an update where the tech savy says that he will give us updates every Wednsday.

Here it is https://twitter.com/maknelly90/status/1098272568216350720

0 Kudos