Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 3rd, 2019 07:00

XPS 15-9570, BIOS unable to install

Hello Everyone!

An odd thing is happening on my XPS 15 9570. On Monday Support Assist informed me that BIOS 1.10.1 (I'm currently at 1.8.1) was released. This is important because it makes some strides in fixing the DPC latency issue. So I attempted to update via Support Assist but it failed.

After talking to Dell they recommended I download the BIOS directly from the Support page. I did this but when right clicking and running the .exe as administrator it does nothing. The little box comes up asking for permission to run as administrator but that is it! Nothing happens. Other driver updates and applications run fine. I have also tried the following...

1. Running the program in local - nothing

2. Creating a new administrator account via Windows 10 to run it - nothing.

3. Uninstalling Support Assist and trying to install BIOS via windows - nothing

4. Installation of BIOS via USB bootable drive. Free-DOS installed so I can run the BIOS app via MS DOS command prompt in BIOS but - nothing - it just says that this program cannot be run in MS DOS

5. Tried re-downloading the BIOS Dell Firmware Update from Dell support numerous times - nothing.

Many other things. If anyone has any insight as to why a Dell Firmware Update file/exe will not run please let me know. I appreciate it!

cheers

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 4th, 2019 06:00

Go into the BIOS and record on paper all of the current settings in every section and sub-section. Then reset the BIOS to factory defaults by clicking the button, Restore Settings, exit saving changes. Boot back into the BIOS and add back any customized settings from the paper and exit saving changes. Once into the operating system;

* The AC power adapter must be connected to the laptop
* The laptop is not connected to any dock
* Disconnect all external devices (USB drives) from the laptop
* Download/Save the BIOS file 1.10.1 to the Windows desktop
* Close all unnecessary software applications (Steam, Anti-virus, etc. )
* Find the saved BIOS file on the Windows desktop
* Right click the file and choose, "Run as administrator". Note, you do not need to "extract" the file. Just run it
* Follow the prompted instructions. The laptop will reboot on its own
* Once back into Windows, restart the laptop

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 3rd, 2019 08:00

List everything plugged into the XPS 15-9570.

2 Posts

May 3rd, 2019 08:00

The only thing that is plugged in is the AC power cord. I do have a Bluetooth mouse that I use.

No Events found!