Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2020 06:00

XPS 15 9570, BIOS update installed, battery issue

I just updated the bios and after the update the bios said that my battery is dead and need to be replaced. The battery is impeccable. The laptop was used just few months. I open the notebook and looks good. I connect and disconnect the battery but the same problem. If I unplug the charger, the notebook turns off. It's really frustrating to see this from a powerful laptop. I had a laptop with $300 and use it 7 years without battery issues.Really frustrating. Anyone with the same problem? All of this happened when the warranty expired.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 6th, 2020 05:00

These cases were handled via Private Message.

All Laptop users with battery issues should read through these articles =

How to Troubleshoot Dell Laptop Battery Issues

Dell Laptop Battery - Frequently Asked Questions

1 Message

January 8th, 2020 20:00

Similar. Battery needs replacing outside of warranty (5.5 weeks after warranty expired). Bios didn't affect it. Mine happened on Bios 1.8.1., updated to 1.14.1 no change. Battery issue. Dell knows it's common with their laptop batteries. Australian Consumer protection doesn't seem to have any weight on this issue with Dell as Dell policy states that a battery is a consumable item. I personally wouldn't have purchased my very expensive Dell  XPS 15 9570 laptop had I known this was a common issue. Waiting on a quote from Dell for a replacement battery and service right now.

2 Posts

January 13th, 2020 19:00

I updated my BIOS to 1.14.0 via Fedora Linux Software installer.  After the restart the BIOS updates all ran successfully.  Things were looking good.  Then, it restarted again and I noticed the orange battery light constantly, rapidly flashing. About halfway through my OS startup I disconnected the power cable and the machine immediately crashed hard.  Without the power cable there was no power.  It was apparent that the BIOS update caused the problem.  I had been using the machine on battery power for ~6 hours before the BIOS update.  Nothing changed other than the BIOS version.  And now my battery seems to be toast. I've tried to downgrade the BIOS to 1.13.0 and 1.12.0, but that didn't help.  At this point, I have no idea how to fix this problem.  This BIOS upgrade has killed my laptop that was working fine just minutes before. 

Any thoughts about how to fix this?

2 Posts

January 20th, 2020 05:00

Adding some additional information about the absurdity of this issue which has completely disabled my laptop seemingly without remedy.

• Battery report shows that battery itself was performing fine with recent battery powered events of duration between 4:00 - 6:30 hours.
  • Total estimated capacity lost:  6.5% loss since initial power-on and today which is 15 months later.  A number that is quite typical of LiPo batteries.
  • Additional BIOS rollback attempts have failed.
  • Removing battery for 15 minute, 3 hour, and overnight durations has failed.
  • Multiple Sequences of Power Button presses solo and as part of other more complex sequences.
  • Battery Removal and Power Button presses sequences all failed.
  • Battery Removal, Power Button presses, and Win10/Fedora OS boot sequences all failed.
  • No relevant BIOS changes found.

4 Posts

February 4th, 2020 03:00

I feel your pain mate. Same exact issue here. So I Ran the powershell powercfg -energy and it claimed my last battery charge was exactly the same as the design capacity of the battery. No drop at all. So I did the same as you. Roll back the bios. No change. Whatever it was in the latest bios it’s killed the communication to the battery which was perfectly healthy before the bios update. Very annoying with the constant flashing orange light. I guess I will buy a battery off eBay as Dell Australia apparently doesn’t sell them and the US site won’t sell to us here in Australia. Honestly my battery might have been charged 30 times max in two years. No swelling at all. It’s completely unacceptable. 

2 Posts

April 21st, 2020 14:00

I am having the exact same problem you are. I recently updated by XPS 15 9570 bios and within a day or two, my computer thews a critical error for the battery. Now the light in the front blinks yellow and my computer will shut down when I unplug it. I purchased an extended warranty but apparently it doesn't cover batteries which only have a 1-year warranty. I'm furious that Dell provides zero support. I contacted them to purchase a new battery to install myself and the only batteries they offer are refurbished with a 90-day warranty. I'm losing my mind.

4 Posts

April 21st, 2020 15:00

Hi mate. Yeah I went through trying every button press combo on the internet, running the tests etc. In the end I got in contact an agency and got a new battery for around $200. I was doubtful the new battery would work but in the end I bought it and installed it. Prior to installing the new battery I rolled back the bios to last years bios. Now it works perfectly again. I am sure it’s a bug in the latest bios and I will never update the bios again. 
I will he selling my XPS when the new 17” is released. 

April 28th, 2020 07:00

Similar problem here.  My XPS 15 9570 just decided it no longer has a Dell battery installed.  Running the windows battery report clearly shows it is still the GPM03 battery it came with.  The battery still works great until it runs out of charge as the laptop has stopped charging it.  Support was not help and I can't even order a replacement. A search by model and asset tag number both return no batteries available.  My rep can't even seem to find a part number for me to order.  It is like they deleted these batteries from their system and now the laptop doesn't see it.  All happened just after an update.  I have run all windows and Dell updates including Bios and still nothing.  We have over 20 of these deployed in my office.

4 Posts

April 28th, 2020 16:00

Hi. Do you have 20 laptops with the same issue? Have you tried contacting dell business support ? I found them pretty helpful , a bit slow , but still helpful. If you have 20 laptops with the same issue, that sounds like a warranty issue complaint to me. 

No Events found!