Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

1 Message

June 14th, 2018 21:00

XPS 15 9570 Battery First Time Use

Dear all,

I collected my new XPS 15 9570 yesterday night and left it to charge for 8 hours.

This morning I was horrified to find out that upon using of about 10 minutes at about 60%~ power mode, the battery depleted from 100% to 95%.

1. Is this a normal symptom for XPS 15?

2. What can I do to extend the battery life of this machine?

3. I intend to use this laptop for the next four years and if this is what I'm getting on the first day... I worry about how long can this laptop serves me.

I trust Dell and hope to get some help here!

Regards,

Mike :) 

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

June 15th, 2018 03:00

Batteries take a few charge - discharge cycles to reach full capacity.  That said, realize that about two years is what you'll get out of a battery - so budget for a mid-cycle battery replacement.  You just won't get four years of useable life out of a battery -- in any system.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 15th, 2018 05:00

Hi @LikeMikeSG,
@ejn63 is correct in saying that it can take a few charge cycles to get the battery charge running at it's most efficient.

There are a few factors that can also affect battery usage i.e battery capacity and system specification. If the system has a smaller capacity battery, the battery life will be shorter when the system is under load. Additionally, if you have say a 4K screen running at max brightness, this will also use more of the battery.

For the battery life you are experiencing, does it change over longer usage spells and even itself out i.e it dropped 5 percent in 10 minutes, but after an hour what percentage is it at?

During that 10 minute period when the system was being used, was it on idle or was it being used for something processor intensive?

Alan

7 Posts

December 27th, 2020 10:00

My battery lasted less that 18 months, and I was using AC almost the entire 18 months.

No Events found!