Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 27th, 2019 20:00

XPS 15-9570, color banding issue

Recently got this xps 15, but am dissapointed by the ridiculous amount of color banding on the monitor. All the blacks are pixelated and crunchy. How do I fix this?

November 21st, 2019 11:00

Dear Mr Gibson

Uninstalling  Premier Dell Color and installing Intel Graphics Command Center doesn't fix the problem, as a photographer and specially in Black and White this is unacceptable.. Still waiting from Dell to fix this problem.  

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2019 08:00

I invested a huge amount of money into this laptop with top specs for primarily photo editing and gaming purposes and yet the unresolved color banding issue has left me in a state of limbo, feeling like a damn idiot for even purchasing because I can't even use it how I intended. None of the suggested methods have worked for me and frankly it's not the users responsibility to come up with quick fixes to a fairly common issue that dell has had more than enough time to resolve if they weren't blatantly ignoring their customers. It's downright embarrassing that I can't fully enjoy this expensive 4k screen without constant crunchy gradients. I had to connect an old 720p monitor to be able to enjoy gaming and movies and even be able to see whats going on especially in any instance with shadows as the banding automatically defaults to huge blobs of flat color. It doesn't even matter if photoshop is fast or a game can run smoothly at max graphics at this point. The fact that a 720p monitor looks better than a 4k says a lot. I am stuck with this computer, unable to use it to its full potential and just blindly hoping dell will even do their job. This isn't to sound harsh but a lot of us are beyond frustrated at this point. 

(I've been watching this tread for months now and when I finally decide to speak up it gets marked as spam. Of course.)

November 24th, 2019 03:00

Of course it's our fault as their customers that we became their customers in the first place.

Initially I thought they were just stupid that can't correlate basic things and pay attention to user complains to understand that the issue can not be fixed by motherboard or monitor replacement. And probably it was so, having such amount of people saying that different part of their laptop were replaced without any improvements.

However, now, I think, they know that they made this huge issue themeselves with their not properly tested software. They know it and probably because of that keep quiet all this time, just waiting till some "genius" from their development team fixes the issue. For now, no official confirmation, no things like "Sorry, we were idiots, please forgive us and give us some time to fix it.."  As I said, to me they just stopped replying on twitter and via email one day which initially I thought was totally unacceptable, but for Dell I think it's fine now - it's just their personal style.

11 Posts

November 24th, 2019 03:00

I have been dealing with this since June. And after months of troubleshooting, total system wipe and new installation, 2 motherboard replacements and countless BIOS and driver re-installs that did little to nothing to resolve the issue, Dell support closed my case as I refused to go through another re-install. To my question, why was my case closed they replied "our scope of support is limited here", and sent me away to contact the local Dell support provider. It has come to this. I expect an onslaught of comments and messages from the Support now saying how they have tried everything and somehow it is our fault as their customers that we are not happy with this whole predicament. 

9 Posts

November 24th, 2019 10:00

I've been keeping tabs on this thread for a while, with the hope that Dell will respond with a fix to this issue.

Not sure why but I thought the banding and pixelation I was seeing on my desktop wallpaper and youtube was normal, as when I used Lightroom things were fine. However since reading this thread I've now realised this is probably down to an issue with a dodgy BIOS version not playing nicely with graphics (switching between Intel and nvidia).

I went back to BIOS v1.5 and the issue was solved, no banding or pixelation whatsoever. However my system became unstable so I had to switch back to the latest BIOS v1.13... cue banding and pixelation again.

I stopped buying Dell laptops about 5-6 years ago due to the fact Dell were very slow in owning up to faults, preferring to brush them under the carpet and rolling out fixes under the radar. I thought things might have changed but it looks like it's the same old story 

pixels.jpg

November 24th, 2019 12:00

I've got the same issue

But it all started when I updated to tha latest version of WINDOWS 10 

I tried to update before but I noticed that the screen started showing that issue, and I was absolute sure that it was due to the upgrade so I downgraded to the previous version and the that issue has gone. Ater a while the Adobe Lightroom has made some upgrade to the software tha just the latest version of WINDOWS 10 is capable of. So I upgraded it agais and THE ISSUE came with.

Unfortunally I can't downgrade it again so I'm livin with this issue for a few months now hopping to some upgrade to some firmware tha solves this issue.

This laptop is too expensive to this kind of problem in my opinion

I have the Dell XPS 15 9570 4k touchscreen i7 GTX 1050Ti.

26 Posts

November 24th, 2019 13:00

Of course you cannot keep old version of windows, in the latest versions of windows you cannot stop any updates, you can only dissable them all and this is very dangerous for various of occasions with hacking.

But this is also not our problem.

Dell has to check this and create new updates for all the devices, especially the most expensive devices like our XPS.

I'm very dissapointed and i think they will not response to us again. 

The only way to do smth is to expose them in a youtube channel!!!

5 Posts

November 26th, 2019 04:00

Nothing yet, Dell?
We need a solution.
We paid for a high quality laptop, but this huge problem makes it simply crap. Come on!!!

November 26th, 2019 23:00

I wonder how many of us must complain in order to get at least a reply from them. 

Really dissappointed with this small issues that basically turn the laptop almost unusable for creative work

November 27th, 2019 06:00

Here I am,

another person complaining about the color banding issue. I've found that, even all the monitor settings say 32 bit of color depth, Windows recognize that it's running at 8 bit.

Dear Dell, as a student I spent pretty all my savings in a laptop that I wish could have lasted at least 5 years. Now it's trash, I cannot do even the most simple photo edit without crying about the colors.

November 27th, 2019 22:00

I was naive enough to ask them in a private message (referring to this thread of course) what the profanity is going on and why they keep ignoring all us, where is the solution, etc.

They just as usually asked me what is the service tag and after that replied with this:

Dell Idiots.JPG

So apparently they keep playing this ugly game and want to make it all look even worse.

9 Posts

November 28th, 2019 10:00

I've just had a chat with a chap in the 'Advanced Resolution Group'. He confirmed there was an issue, that it wasn't hardware related and that engineers were on the case (fixing what they broke). However he stated there was no time frame available for a fix (updated BIOS or whatever). He then tried the old Jedi mind trick on me and suggested a fresh install of Windows without installing Dell Premier Colour, would fix my problem...

I've written an email in response to this below.

dell.jpg

November 29th, 2019 09:00

Hi there,

Today I received some updates:

•  The old Intel Graphics Control Panel is gone forever and a new one has been automatically installed from the Windows Store. The app is useless since you cannot change color profile;
  • Trough Dell's Support Assist app, I got an update for the Intel UHD Graphic Drivers 630. The changelog says something regarding an old black screen problem.

After all that, guess what? Nothing changed  . So just to remember the old good times, I installed again Premier Color and unistalled it not long after. For all these steps I rebooted Windows to check for some changes.

My monitor is pretty unusable, I cannot work with any graphic program, even watching videos is frustrating.

People, it's time to do something!

11 Posts

November 30th, 2019 04:00

It definitely is time to do something about it. There are so many of us experiencing this same issue with no resolution for months. 

December 1st, 2019 16:00

Same here, bought a brand new 7590 three days ago

No Events found!