Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 17th, 2019 16:00

XPS 9570 | Issues | HDR, Thermal Throttling, HDMI Audio

Hi Dell,

Brand new XPS 15 9570, core i7, 32gb, 4k/HDR/touch, 1tb PCIe etc.... v.expensive and I am deeply disappointed to the point I wish I had purchased a Surface Book.

Issues so far:

1.  Colour saturation is so overly saturated as to be painful.  No matter what settings are applied in "Dell Premier Color" the situation cannot be rectified.  Red's are particularly bad.  I've further tried adjusting (crudely) the red saturation in "Intel Graphics Settings" but this only lasts temporarily as "something" is overwriting the setting.  Have left "DPC" on "Adobe RGB" for the minute and "IGS" on -14 red saturation.  As I purchased this not only for my work activities but also to support my photography and image editing hobbies I have my doubts I'll be able to use this £2.5k laptop to do so!  I was going to acquire a x-rite i1 Display Pro for calibration but given how bad the display is and the lack of apparent clarity on how to rectify I'm dubious of spending yet another £200.

2.  HDR video enabled in Windows Settings, but no HDR videos will open.  This applies to all apps; Edge, Chrome, Netflix etc.  Videos appear to start to load then the app (any of them) will crash... I can find NO support guidance on this anywhere

3. Thermal throttling... CPU and iGPU are throttling under even light load, CPU core 2 appears to be worst hit with regular 100c temps causing the whole package to throttle back.  I may as well have purchased a core i5 for the performance I am getting

4.  MISSING KEY STROKES.... ARGHHH... while the above issues are disappointing to the point I'd like to return the device for a full refund the missing key strokes when touch typing is INFURATING.  I've typed each bullet point here at least 3 times as your keyboard seems incapable of understanding when it's been hit with a hammer let alone typed on!

I have been a loyal Dell customer for many many years, personally and as an enterprise customer, having logged a support call I hope this will all be resolved and I've just received "one of those units"... however from what I now find splattered liberally around the internet these appear to be fairly fundamental issues with the XPS 15 9570... if only I had researched a little harder before I purchased!

I am hoping someone at Dell spots this and restores my faith in what I used to think was the best Intel shop in the world.

Regards,

Phil

12 Posts

April 1st, 2019 08:00

Latest BIOS and using version 24.20.100.6229 of the Intel driver from Dell... note it's not listed on the support site but there is a link available if you google for it.

This version includes the Intel Graphics Control Panel so you can dial down colours... however I haven't needed to since installing it.  Disclaimer - it's still not "right" but a lot better than it was... I will at some point buy a calibration device.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

March 18th, 2019 09:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience you had to go through.

I am positive that the support team will be able to resolve this at the earliest. Please reach out to us if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.      

How to locate the service tag

12 Posts

March 18th, 2019 12:00

I have my doubts... today the sound stopped working after undocking... and all the other issues remain.  I've had one reply to my service call "have you run the diagnostics"... this is a brand new machine and it's borked.  Refund please!  I'll go get a surface book.

12 Posts

March 31st, 2019 12:00

Thought I would share my findings with anyone who's interested.

Most of the original issues have been "fixed" by:

1. A complete reinstall of windows using the "start again" reset option
  2. Downgrading the intel driver to an earlier version from Dell (albeit not ones published on Dell’s driver site – found a side-link.  Intel drivers refuse to install as have to be from Dell… no surprise).  The latest version from Dell removes the Intel Graphics Control Panel and seems to introduce much of the saturation issues
  3. A manual reinstall of Edge using DCIM and SFC.

Since doing all of the above there are still a number of issues remaining that I do not believe are down to this specific laptop but general issues with the XPS 9570:

1. Thermal throttling... CPU and iGPU are throttling heavily under load (gaming, heavy photo editing etc.)  Using AIDA64 and HWINFO I can see that CPU core 2 appears to be worst hit with regular 100c temps causing the whole package to throttle back. 

I do have to load up the CPU AND the Nvidia GPU in order to experience this.  The challenge here is that it occurs regularly when gaming, fortunately I don’t game much but the point is that the thermal design of the laptop would appear not sufficient for the components.

I'd love to see an honest statement from Dell on this, in fairness it's OK if the machine has some design limits... it's a lot of power in a small form factor! 

Note there is plenty of Internet content that implies this is a design limit... here’s an example:  https://www.ultrabookreview.com/14875-fix-throttling-xps-15/

2. This is an issue that is driving me nuts, no matter what I do I cannot get Dolby Atmos for Home Theaters to enable.  Laptop connected via the HDMI2.0 port to an LG OLED which supports every Dolby standard under the sun including Atmos (Dolby Digital Plus), LG OLED is passing audio to a Denon AVR (also supports every Dolby standard including Atmos) via ARC but no... the only option in Windows is to output as stereo... even good old 5.1 and 7.1 are both greyed-out, cannot be selected.   

Attempting to enable Dolby Atmos using the "Dolby Experience" app from the MS Store... following the instructions to enable "Dolby Atmos for Home Theatrers" results in a dead end as there is no option for "Dolby Atmos for Home Theaters" presented in the "Spatial sound format" drop-down.  WHY??????

I've tried doing this directly to the AVR using a known good port (normally runs my blu-ray player) and get exactly the same experience.

I have tried everything I can think of... reinstalling the "Dolby Experience" app, trying different Realtek driver versions... latest to the oldest I can find... even the MS "HD Audio" standard driver... which doesn't work with the Realtek card (very unusual, this driver works with pretty much everything).  Now also, bearing in mind this is over HDMI, so uses the Intel GPU "Intel Display Audio" driver, I've also tried various different versions of the Intel display driver (all from Dell) also to no avail.

How can it be that the HDMI output on "the worlds best ultra book" only provides STEREO output?

This needs to be fixed... I could just about put up with issues (1) and (3) but this is nuts.

3. And now the final issue... As the HDMI port is only 2.0, not 2.0a or 2.0b it's impossible to output HDR to a HDR capable screen... well I say impossible... it is possible if you are happy to ramp the refresh down to 30hz and get a "not quite HDR" signal... so really no, no you can't.  OK get it, it's a limitation of being HDMI 2.0 but woud've thought a 2.0a port would have been easy enough with both the Intel and Nvidia GPUs supporting HDR.

These issues are fixed… or “good enough” now:

1. With “Stream HDR Videos” enabled no videos will play in any apps
    Status>> Fixed.... ish.  Note the inbuilt display isn't really HDR compliant, but it's close enough that HDR content will still look "better" than SDR... just nowhere near as good as on a true HDR10 / UHD Premium / Dolby Vision panel such as an LG OLED.  Which also exposes an interesting point that Windows HDR isn't really HDR... more "wide gamut SDR"

2. With “Stream HDR Videos” disabled Edge still wont play videos and crashes
    Status>> Fixed by the reset

3. Skype for Business and Teams keep reporting no audio device in the middle of calls (suspect audio drive crashing)
    Status>> Fixed by the reset

4. Missing key strokes when touch typing
    Status>> Fixed by the reset albeit I'm sure it's happened a couple of times when really going quick

5. Colour saturation on the display is over-saturated with red
    Status>> Better albeit still needs proper calibration, it is over-saturated in the red end of the spectrum.

So... summary... I've wasted about 40 hours working through these various issues.  I'm gob smacked that Dell have been less than transparent about some of device's limitations, I think that's what has gotten my goat more than anything else.  If issue 2 can be resolved I'll probably keep going with the laptop, it does its main jobs admirably (day job of supporting me as a programme manager, evening job of supporting me as an amateur photographer)... shame it can't do a bit of casual gaming in anything more than 4k with STEREO sound, I'd really hoped this would replace the need for an xBox.

66 Posts

April 1st, 2019 07:00

Hi Finiterex.
I didn't understand how you solved the saturated colors of the screen, which version of Intel drivers did you install? and what BIOS version do you currently have?

1 Message

April 6th, 2019 12:00

I am still trying to fix it but in the meanwhile realised i cant fix the colour issue on my own at all and i do not see dells intention to even accept its a problem. I am so mad at them.
No Events found!