Start a Conversation

Unsolved

73 Posts

June 2nd, 2020 19:00

XPS 15 9570 Sleep Issue is back with Windows 10 2004

No secret that the XPS 9570 has some serious issues due to the implementation of modern standby, namely that is will randomly wake, draining the battery and if packed in a bag, turn into a cooker.

After 6 months of waiting for Dell to issue a BIOS fix (something it still hasn't done 2 years later), I went down the route of disabling modern standby in the registry and that along with a clean install and replacement of the killer wifi card, got be a 'relatively' stable system that would sleep and stay sleeping until I WOKE IT.

All was fine until a few days ago when Microsoft dropped another one of their amazing updates that always seem to update very little and instead bring misery to anyone who is unfortunate enough to be in the receiving end of one of their 'bugs'. So it was my turn .... modern standby seems to be back with a vengeance and this time not only cant you disable it, the issue is not just about my system waking, it is now crashing on sleep. 

I had been following this post, where the sleep issue was first raised many moons ago - https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9570-BIOS-1-3-0-sleep-mode-gone/td-p/6131926
Ironically just last week the thread was marked as 'solved' with the solution being to edit the registry and disable modern standby ..... well DELL .... now what? MS has removed that from the registry and from what I am reading on other forums, there is no way to disable it.

Is anyone else with the 9570 experiencing this new issue with Windows 10 2004 ?

Dell .... please, please, please can you fix this laptop. Its never worked right, is no secret is has a problem with sleep and I've been fine with the workaround, but now what? 

73 Posts

July 21st, 2020 15:00

I didn't realize this problem was also affecting desktop models, but I guess that same bad modern standby bios implementation might be the cause. For what its worth, Dell support is working on a fix, or at least that is what they have been telling me over private messages. I can't say I have too much faith in it being fixed, its been an issue for 2 years, just been using the registry hack as a workaround for all this time, but let's see.

20 Posts

July 23rd, 2020 04:00

I am having the same problem with multiple Precision Workstation models.  It is mind boggling to me that both Dell and Microsoft are ignoring their customers in regards to this issue.  I am a Dell Premier customer with over 1500 Dell devices in use and pretty soon we will be receiving PCs with 2004 preinstalled.  I do not want my team to waste time reimaging devices from the factory to revert to previous Windows builds.  I have opened support tickets as well which all have fallen on deaf ears.

The fact that things have only gotten worse with this and not better is a disgrace.  At least after the 1903 release we had the option to set the CSDisabled registry key to make the systems functional again but now that is gone, I am considering other manufacturers.

For now I am having my systems go into hibernation when the lid is closed or the power button is pressed however that is a step backward.  The systems take 20 seconds to sleep and wake vs. 2 seconds in S3 mode.  That may not seem like much however when you have employees moving between meeting rooms, working in their trucks, etc., it adds up to unnecessary unproductive time.

What we need is for Dell to step up and add the BIOS option for S3 back into the BIOS.  Microsoft could also re-enable the CSDisabled registry key in the next update or better yet, add an option to power manager for S3 mode.  How hard would that be.  Then you have everyone happy, those with tablets that want their PCs to stay awake, and those that use their laptops as they are meant to be used.

73 Posts

July 23rd, 2020 16:00

This is what I have also been struggling to understand. It is such a fundamental feature for a laptop to support and it's beyond belief that the flagship model of one of the biggest PC manufacturers in the world can not sleep, a basic feature that has been around since the late 90s. It's probably one of the more important features for a laptop to have as you are supposed to be using it 'on the go' and might need to move at any given moment. Modern standby or whatever MS is calling it now is absolutely useless for me (and I'm sure many other) as I don't need or want my laptop pinging for data when it's not being used. It's not a mobile phone and I don't need it to act like one. As for hibernation mode, I don't mind using it on occasions where I don't need to turn on again for a while and will be without power, but on a day to day basis it's just too slow, especially when you have 32G of RAM, and there is the issue of wear on the SSD (maybe less of an issue, but I have read about this). Regardless, we should not even need to be considering alternatives when the solution is simple ... FIX S3

I do hope that after nearly 2 years of asking, Dell with finally fix S3 on the 9570 and any other models that never worked correctly with S3

73 Posts

July 27th, 2020 20:00

Just wanted to post an update on this to anyone who is still in the same boat as me although I suspect many have already given up and are looking for alternative products ...

So Dell has been in contact with my, they seem to be actively trying to find a fix but so far nothing useful. I can't say I'm too hopeful for this as the previous 'fix' for this 2000+USD laptop was a registry hack and it seems this time Microsoft has gone out of its way to force modern standby to everyone that didn't ask for it or need it or want it or like it, and in classic Microsoft style simply don't care, so I doubt a simple registry fix is going to work this time. For the sake of trying (and perhaps desperation), I did use the Windows feedback hub to raise this issue with them .... that's 10 minutes of my life wasted for sure.

So in the meantime I checked if other people with different laptops are facing this issue and did stumble across a few but the primary complaint seems to be with the XPS 9570, and that very much tops the search results.

I did also come across a Reddit post with another workaround for this exact problem. I have not tried it and am unlikely to as it requires applying the patch every time you reboot, so its hardly a real fix, but for those that have the need and can't wait for a better fix (or have given up), perhaps you can give this a go - https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/h0r56s/getting_back_s3_sleep_and_disabling_modern/

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

August 3rd, 2020 03:00

Hi, thanks for your information.

I just gave up with S3 and get used to hibernate. As you said I find it ridiculous not to have a sleep mode supported by a 2000$ laptop.

And that is not the only issue I came across since I bought it.

It's just a poor product.

73 Posts

August 9th, 2020 15:00

I didn't realize it was also affecting other models, only the XPS9570, but this is interesting to hear as I'm surprised there would not be a lot more complaints about this issue since people are updating to Windows 10 2004, unless not so many people have updated yet.

For what its worth, Dell support update me last week that they are still looking for a solution, its been another week, no news, so I will ping them for an update soon. Its already been over a month since I initially contact support, only had one proposed solution (registry hack) .... not looking good

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

August 9th, 2020 15:00

I have an Inspiron 5501 with the same issue.  The only solution I have found at the moment is to uninstall the 2004 update.  Yay Dell.  I didn't even know that I had to check whether a laptop supported sleep in 2020.

August 12th, 2020 09:00

I'm upvoting this topic, having the same problem with my XPS 9570 after upgrading to Windows 10 2004. I was using the registry hack prior to version 2004 and now that's not available. Really would like to see a stable solution to this ASAP.

73 Posts

August 12th, 2020 18:00

@1138Wstlnd appreciate the upvote

Whilst Dell support has been in weekly contact with me to say they are working on a fix, the fact that the prior fix was a registry hack doesn't leave me with too much confidence and there is no indication of how long it will take for them to find a solution. 

I am trying to stay reasonable about this, every product can be subject to an issue, especially complex ones that need to interact with third party software/hardware, but I think the real reason for most peoples frustration is the price point and the way Dell had tried to sweep this under the rug prior to this Windows 10 2004 update.

The registry hack should never have been the approved or accepted solution for this problem in the first place and I think we must insist on a proper fix this time, not just some hack to get around Windows disabling S3.

I also have an XPS 9550 , its still works well, just a bit dated in terms of speed, but if that can run Win10 2004 and S3 is working fine, there is no excuse for a newer model to not work with S3.

1 Message

August 14th, 2020 19:00

I have same issue with Dell Precision 5540

Laptop does not go to sleep, just close screen and i still hear fans.

Really this is so stupid that i need to turn of PC.

3000USD laptop does does not have sleep mode.

Really stupid and unacceptable

73 Posts

August 25th, 2020 16:00

For anyone hoping that the recent BIOS release (Version: 1.17.1) would fix this issue, sorry to say that I have installed it and no luck, seems to just address a host of Intel security flaws. I have reached out again to Dell to see if any useful progress has been made. I realize that most people have probably just given up and either moved on to a different brand or compromised how they use their device by using hibernate or some other workaround, but I am adamant on getting a real fix this time.

• 

25.1K Posts

August 25th, 2020 20:00

I did check and unfortunately, we do not have any update on this yet. I'm sending another email requesting an update. 

We should hear from our internal team in 2-3 business days.

August 28th, 2020 07:00

same issue with my Business XPS 7390 2-1

Since 2004 Bluescreens with S3 and restartes. Counting approx. 35 bluescreens within 10 days of the update, which was offered to me on 17.8. Along with some Intel ME updates by Windows update. Latest Bios (dell update > no actions required). With 1909 no such issues.

Tried to prevent S3 and switched to Hibernate (?) S5 only. Not really a solution, and far away from a "Laptop" approach. When I close my laptop I currently hope only it returns to where I left - not knowing/rely on.

Opened a pro-support ticket too. Reported to MS as well. Dell PS suggested roll back to 1909. Update took over 90 min. Rollback will for sure crash my time and laptop setup.

I remember Dell (&INTEL) advertising the XPS 7390 2-1 as first Intel Instant-on device with the benefits of Intels new power management which allows tablet-like bahaviour and availability....

Dell, I like your laptops for a couple of years now. I dont want to switch to chomebooks or macPros due to such issues, but reliability is mandatory in business.

73 Posts

August 28th, 2020 16:00

@desert.dog thanks for sharing your experience with this same issue, I have restored to saving my work and shutting down every day, just like I'm back in 1980, very frustrating.

FYI, I was also told to rollback when I first reported this issue coming up to 3 months ago. Rollback worked but then I was asked to try a fix so of course I had to update again to 2004. The fix didn't work and I didn't expect to be waiting another 2 months for the next fix as they claim to be actively working on a solution, but that might be the only option if you need stability. 

I dont have pro support so perhaps your nudge will have more of an impact and given the importance it deserves, its honestly a shamble that this is happening on their premium range and worrying that its taking this long to find a fix.

73 Posts

August 29th, 2020 22:00

Just to update everyone who is in the same boat, I reached out to support yesterday to see if there was any update, just got a reply today saying they dont have any update and that it could take "weeks" 

Utterly disappointed with Dell, hate to sound like one of those people that just moan and then treated to never buy Dell again. There is so little choice on the market for quality PCs, its no wonder so many have switched to Apple. As consumers, we seem to face the choice of being ripped off by Apple tax or having to choose badly designed or poorly made PC alternatives that dont really provide great after-sales service. 

For what its worth,  I suggest that anyone who can hold off on updating to 2004 do so and those who have already updated, rollback to the previous build as its not looking good.

No Events found!