Start a Conversation

Unsolved

73 Posts

June 2nd, 2020 19:00

XPS 15 9570 Sleep Issue is back with Windows 10 2004

No secret that the XPS 9570 has some serious issues due to the implementation of modern standby, namely that is will randomly wake, draining the battery and if packed in a bag, turn into a cooker.

After 6 months of waiting for Dell to issue a BIOS fix (something it still hasn't done 2 years later), I went down the route of disabling modern standby in the registry and that along with a clean install and replacement of the killer wifi card, got be a 'relatively' stable system that would sleep and stay sleeping until I WOKE IT.

All was fine until a few days ago when Microsoft dropped another one of their amazing updates that always seem to update very little and instead bring misery to anyone who is unfortunate enough to be in the receiving end of one of their 'bugs'. So it was my turn .... modern standby seems to be back with a vengeance and this time not only cant you disable it, the issue is not just about my system waking, it is now crashing on sleep. 

I had been following this post, where the sleep issue was first raised many moons ago - https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9570-BIOS-1-3-0-sleep-mode-gone/td-p/6131926
Ironically just last week the thread was marked as 'solved' with the solution being to edit the registry and disable modern standby ..... well DELL .... now what? MS has removed that from the registry and from what I am reading on other forums, there is no way to disable it.

Is anyone else with the 9570 experiencing this new issue with Windows 10 2004 ?

Dell .... please, please, please can you fix this laptop. Its never worked right, is no secret is has a problem with sleep and I've been fine with the workaround, but now what? 

73 Posts

December 23rd, 2020 16:00

@Nic808  I'm not reading too much into the suggestion, I have spent the last 6 months trying various fixes, upgrades, downgrades, clean installs etc etc, so I doubt the advice has any merit, its just a desperate attempt to be seen to be doing something helpful.

Funny thing is that I am still being told that a 'replacement' unit will solve this but they fail to explain how that could be any different to what has already been done which is to replace the motherboard, SSD, and screen. I mean what's left, the battery, keyboard and trackpad, do they seriously expect me to believe those are the issue.

I think the legal route might be the best option as forums are flooded with people complaining about this specific issue on the 9570. I know its been happening to other models, but the 9570 seems to be the worst affected and more widespread than others, even to the extent that they have a dedicated article for this model - https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000177921/xps-9570-mobile-precision-5530-modern-standby-behavior

I have a long list of all the different threads and forums this has been raised on, its an extremely widespread issue on the 9570. Perhaps a model specific legal case and would be easier to highlight that the product has a design defect rather than an entire range, but maybe I am wrong on that.

I have the 9570, not sure if it's better to create a separate topic for each model or maybe its better to open that is more generic that all customers can join. Would be interesting to know how many models are affected and if there is some commonality to what is causing the issue.

1 Message

December 25th, 2020 10:00

I can confirm that

reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0

hack works just fine ditching that buggy modern standby in 20H2, but I have a problem that my i7-8750 never downclocks anything below 2ghz but that is not connected to changing a sleep mode.

http://fii.cz/ccdxzbp

123 Posts

December 25th, 2020 11:00

sadly S3 is no option on the 9570, because ignorant incompetent Dell never fixed or wanted to fix the bug with when waking up from S3, that there is a glitch, causing a permanent 1W power drain.

123 Posts

December 25th, 2020 15:00

Youre You're 100% right.

73 Posts

@Ftelf I will give it a go but honestly speaking, this is a fix because it's only kicking the problem down the road again. I reported the sleep issue almost 2 years ago when I first purchase the 9570 and back then Dell support said they would be able to solve it with a BIOS update. In the end, it was fixed with the previous CS Enable registry hack but as we now know, Microsoft in their endless wisdom removed that workaround. I don't want to be in this situation again in 6 months with the next Windows update, this is not how customers should be solving this.

@mkdr sure, I can boycott Dell, but what about this expensive piece of that I have now? Why should I just accept being sold a defective product? Like I mentioned many times, I reported this within the first few weeks of ownership and I have all the original email exchanges from Dell support assuring me it would be fixed. Fact is, this model is defective, always has been, always will be, and I demand a fix under the circumstances.

1 Rookie

• 

50 Posts

This sounds to me like the issue is more than likely on Microsoft's end; wonder if it's them we should be asking about this, since they were the ones to remove the registry key. Butwhat I can say for certain. Have some friends with XPS's,and no problems over here; one guy has a 9300, I think.

73 Posts

December 25th, 2020 21:00

@Cambridgeport90 of course to some extent Microsoft is to blame for forcing modern standby on us, a feature we didn't need or ask for, but if it wasn't for the way Dell has implemented support for Modern Standby on this model (and maybe others), it would not be an issue. For example, I have older laptops running the current version of Windows without any issue and that's because Windows is allowing them to use S3. I am not an expert nor can I claim to understand it at a deeper level, but having an option to support S3 (over modern standby) at BIOS level, resolves this issue. There are other manufacturers that have implemented this fix and if you have an option to enable Linux OS for example, this will also solve it. So there is no excuse for Dell to not offer this fix and it's down to their poor implementation, more than on MS for forcing it on us.

1 Rookie

• 

50 Posts

December 25th, 2020 21:00

Would be interested now to see if this is the case with their newer Latitudes. I have a 5410. Never bothered to check, but since the XPS and Latitude lines are fairly close. 

December 26th, 2020 07:00

@Cambridgeport90 , It is for sure not an XPS 15 9570 only issue. My Latitude 5401 is affected too, for insurance. I successfully used the same registry hack as a workaround, until MS removed such possibility in the latest OS update.

I should also say one should be very persistent in order to link a random issue with the cause (sleep mode). It took me about a week keeping trying to find out what's going on, searching forums and digging in the guts of OS settings and mechanics behind sleeping modes. I mean this path is not for everyone, that's why, IMO, there is not so many reports.

Speaking about why they're not so many reports, let's take under account other factors. Not every user cares to install Windows updates. I know many simply disable updates permanently, because of the stability risks. Also, not every user uses the machine to such an extent where the issue becomes a noticable impact. I can call myself a power user, because I have many heavy programs open simultaneously, several accounts logged-in, and losing such a context is painful. But I am pretty sure my case is not a majority.

1 Rookie

• 

50 Posts

December 26th, 2020 09:00

I definitely see where you are coming from. And I should have asked this earlier, but what is S3 as used here? Also, I'm a bit of an exceptional case since my devices are on a domain, even my personal network devices at home, so all of those settings are primarily controlled by group policies. 

73 Posts

December 27th, 2020 23:00

@Cambridgeport90 not sure I fully understood your question re S3, but S3 for me as defined, Video Backlight Off / HDD Off, Cache Flush, Memory in Slow Refresh, CPU Halted. Just as I expected and have been using with laptops for the past 20 years, close the lid, S3 Sleep, can stay in that mode for days even, but usually, just need it to stay that way a few hours until you are ready to carry on working where you left of.

34 Posts

February 19th, 2021 17:00

I am about to cry , these guys are sooooo useless .

I don't know ay word to describe my distress here, trying to fix a problem for one year now, 

I gave up at some point and was trying to give it another shot in hope .... 

But now, that 's it these guys pass my patience limit by far. They are making me doing the same basic step over and over ( run this diagnostic, run this update, watch this video, etc etc )

Seriously I gave them more hints that they did,

I have a sleep mode issue with an unregistered device and they never , never propose to run the powercfg diag . really that s the best tool to diagnose sleep issue.

No they juts make me run windows troubleshooters , create a new profile and I don't recall what other stupidity 

DELL , you support engineer are terrible , terrible .

BYE BYE dell, Never Never again ! #ShameOnDELLSupport

1 Message

March 15th, 2021 18:00

Hi everyone,

This thread has been dormant for a few months now and I can only assume folks have given up on a real solution and/or moved on from Dell products entirely. This is not a "solution" but I can confirm that the reg hack reported previously in this and other forums does restore S3 sleep for my Dell XPS 9570. 

reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0

I waited until yesterday to finally update to Windows 2004 because I just knew it was going to be trouble (had I done more research and found this problem I would have held off even longer). So I am relieved, but I know that this is just kicking the can down the road. Curse you Dell and Microsoft, a laptop without a proper sleep state is not a functional laptop! I've been a PC user all my life, but it's times like these that make me curious about Apple...

1 Message

March 15th, 2021 22:00

@Al13xps not given up, just still on hold 

Thanks for sharing that, I will give it a go and see if that solve the issue

June 22nd, 2021 09:00

Any news on this?

No Events found!