Start a Conversation

Unsolved

2 Posts

September 5th, 2019 11:00

XPS 15-9570, TB3 dock recommendation, D6000 dock issue

Hey guys,

I'm a bit confused on what I need. As the title says I have a XPS 15-9570, the D6000 dock, and two Dell 1080 24" monitors that can run 144Hz (when overclocked through DisplayPort cables).

They seem to run fine when just doing normal Windows things, but I can't open any games - they just crash. From reading around it seems that the D6000 doesn't support native GPU outputs (link1) (link2)? When I plug the monitors in through HDMI directly into the laptop I can run them just fine at 120Hz.

Does anyone have any recommendation on a hub to get that works (doesn't have to be Dell)? Looking for something that supports and has two DisplayPorts for the 144Hz. In the links I've posted above @jphughan seems to recommend the TB16, but a) it doesn't have amazing reviews and b) it's a bit pricey. Any other options?

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 5th, 2019 18:00

@funkedelic_bob  since I wrote the posts you linked to, Dell has released the WD19TB to replace the TB16.  It's still relatively early, but it doesn't seem to be generating the same number of troublesome experiences that the TB16 did.  @decker12  is responsible for deploying docks to an organization of users, and although he had trouble with the TB16, he's found that the WD19TB has made life much easier on his users (and therefore him, I would imagine!)

In terms of dock recommendations, the dilemma you'll have if you go outside of Dell is that only certain Dell docks can charge the XPS 15 models properly -- and the D6000 is not one of them.  The reason is that the XPS 15 is designed for a 130W power source, and the official USB Power Delivery spec maxes out at 100W -- and even most docks don't deliver that much.  They typically stop around 60W (like the D6000) or 87W.  Dell did something proprietary on some of their docks like the WD19TB to stretch that to 130W specifically to support running systems like the XPS 15 from a single cable.  Otherwise, you'd either have to connect the AC adapter separately or else deal with possible performance throttling that can occur when the system is forced to operate from an undersized power source.

As for the displays, I haven't experimented much with 144 Hz displays, but from a bandwidth perspective, a Thunderbolt dock that tapped into native GPU outputs would be able to run dual 1080p 144 Hz displays.  However, there's a bit of a catch here, and since I just wrote a post about this earlier today in another thread, I'll just copy/paste that text here:

To my knowledge, with the exception of the Precision 7000 Series that allow customization here, all Dell and Alienware systems have their USB-C/TB3 video output wired to the Intel GPU, not the NVIDIA GPU. The NVIDIA GPU operates only indirectly via a technology called NVIDIA Optimus. But since the Intel GPU has direct control of the display output, I don't know how well it runs 144 Hz. In addition, NVIDIA GPUs using Optimus cannot use Adaptive V-Sync or G-Sync. Your only options are V-Sync Off or V-Sync On, and that creates a bit of dilemma when dealing with a high refresh rate display. If you use V-Sync Off, then you can see frame tearing, which is precisely what V-Sync is meant to eliminate. But if you turn V-Sync On, then when using a 144 Hz display, you'll need to make sure your system can maintain a stable 144 fps, because whenever it can't, you'll see stuttering or judder, which can be just as distracting and annoying as frame tearing. An XPS 15 is unlikely to be able to sustain 144 fps in modern games, at least not without turning the detail way down. This dilemma is precisely why G-Sync was created, since it eliminates frame tearing while also allowing the display's refresh rate to change based on the frame rate the GPU can handle at any given time, which means you also eliminate stutter/judder -- but again that probably won't be available here.

September 6th, 2019 07:00

@jphughan 

Thanks for the reply! I actually did find WD19TB yesterday as well. Didn't find it earlier because it only comes up under a "work" search with Dell. Which is too bad because I wanted to use my Dell Financing account to buy

I actually don't really care about the charging aspect, it's really just driving the monitors and having a direct Ethernet port.

I haven't noticed much tearing running through HDMI at 120hz so far, and I suppose I'm interested in longevity with the dock, as if I get a new computer I can still utilize it.

So while I'll probably still get the WD19TB I's still love if it if you had any recommendations on alternatives (only if you know some off the top of your head!)

Thanks!

157 Posts

September 6th, 2019 13:00

@funkedelic_bob 

My gut feeling is that the WD19TB (and maybe any dock) is probably going to give you some sort of issue out of the box with what you're trying to do.

I've struggled trying to get dual 4k @ 60hz with my Dell laptops and 3rd party docks, and even with the WD19TB. I know you're going for dual 1080 @ 144hz, but just like my 4k @ 60hz issue, your setup is one of those things that "should work on paper" - but in the end, mine really didn't... without tons of screwing around.

The solution to that was using the WD19TB dock, but ONLY with DP to USB3 cables, and of course all the laptops need TB3 ports. That exact solution cost me many, many hours of struggle, questions on forums, screwing with Windows 10 display settings and monitor profiles, and probably $1000 (company money, not mine) worth of docks, adapters, different monitors, different cables, etc.

The reason why I think you'll struggle is that I've been down this road with different docks, different modern laptops (7490s, 5580s with all the bells and whistles) different monitors, different cables for those monitors (DP, HDMI, DP to HDMI, HDMI to DP, etc) different display settings in Windows, all sorts of things, and I was "only" trying to give my users a reliable two 4k monitors at 60hz for basic Windows work (Excel, Outlook, etc - definitely not video gaming).

I have a gaming system at home that runs a single monitor at 1440p and 144hz, but that thing requires a 1080ti connected via DP to get more than 70fps on modern games. 

Again, I have no actual experience with any dock and dual 144hz monitors. But knowing what I do know my struggles with Dells laptops, docks, dual monitors, high refresh rates, and without the extra hassle of making it all work with modern games - my gut reaction is that you're going to have problems and while it may be technically possible, it may not be reliable.

In summary, yes I do have dual 4k @ 60hz working reliably (and charging with a single cable) with TB3 Dell laptops using the WD19TB dock and two DP to USB-C cables. However, they do not pass HDR information, nor are they used for gaming. So while it does work well, I don't do any gaming with it.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 6th, 2019 15:00

@funkedelic_bob  if you only care about displays and Ethernet, then you might want to consider getting a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter (Sonnet, StarTech, and Plugable all make one, and all are reliable brands) and then an Ethernet to USB-A adapter.  Of course that's two things to plug in rather than one, but it'll cost less.  As to decker12's comment about reliability, from a pure display perspective I wouldn't expect this adapter method to perform any differently from using a WD19TB.  So either they'll both work or they'll both have problems.  And again, since I don't have experience running 144 Hz displays in general, I can't say for sure.  But I would actually bet they work at least up to 120 Hz even if not the full 144 Hz.

Note: Don't confuse a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter with a USB-C DisplayPort MST hub.  They will look similar, and the latter will likely be less expensive, but they're not the same thing.  The former can tap into two DisplayPort 1.2 channels (8 lanes) coming from the system over Thunderbolt 3, whereas the latter will only have access to a single DisplayPort 1.2 channel (4 lanes) coming over USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode.  Dual 1080p at 120 Hz might actually be possible from a 4-lane source signal, but I'm not sure.  And I'm even less sure about dual 1080p at 144 Hz.

No Events found!