Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 28th, 2018 14:00

XPS 15 9570 USB 3.0 Flash Drive Disconnecting When Writing

On the left USB port, if I try to write anything to my USB 3.0 flash drive, the drive will disconnect and reconnect. If I try to do the same on the right port, it works fine. If I try to write to a USB 2.0 on the left USB port, it works fine.

In the Event Viewer, I get an Event ID 51 with description "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR3 during a paging operation."

Wondering if anyone has similar issues or if it is just my laptop. Also wondering if there is any possible fix. But I have tried everything from reformatting the USB to re-installing USB drivers, to disabling the setting for Windows to save power and automatically turn off the USB drive..

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

November 27th, 2018 05:00

Hi noice1,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Your post does not indicate if you've had the chance to run a systems diagnostics yet.  If you haven't already done so, please run Dell SupportAssist, make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.  If there are none, then it might indicate either a driver or software issue.  

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

How to Troubleshoot USB Issues

If the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

2 Posts

November 27th, 2018 03:00

Hi! Just registered to reply to you.

I have a very similar problem with left USB port on my XPS 15 9570.

2 Kingston DR3.0 flash drives are now dead because of the left USB port.

I plugged the flash drive in, it connected and opened. When I tried to write on it, it threw an error "device does not exist" or something like that, the drive disconnected. When I replugged it in, it didn't show up and Disk Management in windows shows it as D: with "No media" under it. No partition exists, nor can be created. I told myself ok, the drive is now dead because of old age... weird, but ok.

And then I plugged my second flash drive, which is THE SAME MODEL, to the same left USB port, and the SAME situation happened again. Plugged it in, it opened, tried to copy file to it, it disconnected and "No media" since then. So they are both dead 10 seconds apart. It shows No media in another computer too, they are both dead.

The flash drive worked fine in the right USB port before that.

Now the second problem I have is this: I have iTec USB 3.0 hub with Ethernet port. The device works fine in right port, but doesn't in the left port. Under linux, the left port shows in dmesg "High speed USB device connected", on the right port it shows "SuperSpeed USB device connected". So it acts like USB 2.0 device in the left port.

I also have Samsung T5 external SSD, which have USB 3 cable and this device works as SuperSpeed in both left and right ports.

What could be the cause of this? I don't know. I thought it may be power related, but the SSD consumes nearly 1A of power (0.8A on the box, which is roughly 4W). I don't know how much power is required to power that iTech USB hub thing, but it shouldn't be more than 1A. And the flash drives definitely don't consume more than 0.8A.

No Events found!