Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

September 9th, 2018 11:00

XPS 15 9570 Video editing disappointment...

After weeks of research and eventually convincing myself that I didn't need to switch to Mac I finally pulled the trigger on this XPS 15 9570 laptop. Being a video editor I bought the highest spec model available which has 32Gb of ram and the 4Gb Nvidia GTX1050 Ti graphics. I saw multiple reviews recommending this specific graphics card for laptops since they worked better with Premier Pro CC. However to my disappointment it still gets bogged down by simple tasks like adding a title.

It performs fine when you just have a basic timeline going, color corrections and some warp stabilizer here and there and it handles that great. But when I add a title it bogs right down, fans go crazy, and it will catch maybe 2 or 3 frames while playing through the part with the title before it catches up to itself and plays the rest of the timeline smoothly. I am suspicious that the GTX1050 Ti is not doing anything and the computer is running off the intel integrated graphics alone. When I use process explorer to view the graph of the GPU, it never ever shows any activity in "GPU Dedicated Memory", only shows activity in "GPU Usage" and "GPU System Memory", which is the same thing that happens on my old laptop that doesn't have any graphics card at all.

I've spend the past 2 days wallowing through the muddy abyss of trying to get the current drivers installed for everything on this laptop. It does work much better than my previous 5 year old laptop for this task, especially exporting. It only takes about 2X the video time to render it, whereas my old laptop would take sometimes an entire week to render ~20 minutes of video. However even that piece of junk wouldn't get all bogged down by little things like adding a title. Anyone have any ideas? 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 9th, 2018 11:00

You need better video editing software. Read the bad reviews at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Premiere-Year-Subscription-Download/dp/B01MZ085E6#customerReviews   Also it is primarily a Mac program and for earlier versions of windows. It is not for Windows 10.

Platform : Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, Windows 8, Windows 7

5 Posts

September 9th, 2018 12:00

Huh? That's like saying "you need a better car" when your brand new Lambo is handling funny because it needs air in one of the tires. The program works fine for 12 million other users right now. I'm not looking for advice from 10 negative amazon reviewers... The only other options are Davinci Resolve which is far more reliant on the GPU which is already a weak point on this laptop, and Final Cut Pro X which is a Mac program. So really there are no other options but to optimize the setup I've already got, hence why I'm here. I'm sure somebody out there is using a Dell XPS laptop to edit videos and has dialed it in. Right?

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

September 9th, 2018 14:00

If the system is new enough (less than 30 days from shipment), and it was purchased from Dell - it can still be exchanged.  Adobe's applications really need a true, dedicated GPU - which this system does not have.  It's one of the reasons the Precision mobile workstation line exists - those are the systems with the video horsepower needed to run these applications.

Exchange the system for a 15" Precision system.

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

September 10th, 2018 01:00

Firstly, check if the laptop is set to use the NVidia GPU in NVidia Settings and some Premiere settings. 

Secondly, although XPS 15 is relatively expensive, it may not be the best laptop for video editing with this CPU and GPU, because of inadequate cooling and power supply. Weirdly, this isn't declared on Dell sales pages, but has been tweeted by Azor. Mind MBPs and other similarly thin designs don't tend to be any better, but some cheaper gaming laptops (like the G5) with a kg more in heatpipes and cooling fins might. The premium price you've paid is for the sleek design, which happens to cause performance tradeoffs. 

It isn't entirely impossible to get reasonable performance for your kind of work in this form factor. Dell don't seem to be interested in providing it, sells Alienware and Precision. Users can do tweaks to get closer to the performance they expect from the specs. Like: using HWinfo64 with stress tests like Prime95 and Unigine Heaven for assessing the condition, undervolting the CPU (Throttlestop or Intel XTU) and the GPU (MSI Afterburner), repasting if needed, padding the VRMs... It isn't difficult to find instructions but there isn't a simple method with best results so there are variants. You may get Dell to repaste if you can show you are getting direct thermal throttling, but power-limit throttling is a "standard feature" unfortunately. 

> fans go crazy

Unfortunately any thin design with such chips will be loud under heavy load. 

> Adobe's applications really need a true, dedicated GPU - which this system does not have. 

It does have the dGPU which is reasonably powerful considering the laptop size.

> It's one of the reasons the Precision mobile workstation line exists - those are the systems with the video horsepower needed to run these applications.

Mind Precision 5530 has the same cooling / power supply issues as the 9570. The NVidia Quadro cards in the Precision line are indeed intended for such work and have drivers "optimized" for pro graphics rather than for gaming (GTX) - but you should know if Quadro is demanded because "pro" graphics come at a notable price premium. Concerning the computational horsepower, the Quadros may or may not be more capable, depending on the particular model (the 5520 had a weaker GPU than the 9560; in 5530 there is a weaker and a stronger model). Precision 7k series should be better suited. 

5 Posts

September 10th, 2018 17:00

I did look at the precision line beforehand but thought they are a little overkill for my use. I do all my editing for kicks and not for money so I bought this laptop more as a lower cost alternative to a real video editing machine. The machine as it is should be more than capable of producing the simple youtube edits I'm doing, even my 5 year old $300 laptop could do that running premier, it was just really slow and frustrating to work with. One thing that has changed is Adobe won't let you download the old versions of Premier Pro anymore. So I had to load the newest 2018 version on this, where I have 2014 on the old machine. I'm thinking maybe there are a few bugs there, I've already noticed a couple of random bugs in this new version. Funny thing is, today it works fine with the titles. Adding a bunch on top of each other doesn't even phase it at all. Maybe a restart allowed something to change/update, not sure... It seems to be working ok today so far, go figure...

16 Posts

September 11th, 2018 08:00

Hello all, a year ago I had the pleasure of choosing the new replacement laptop my employer provides for me and I got an XPS 15 9650.

I was super excited about the GeForce so that down time at work can be up time for a game or two. I had been spending months of frustration at the fact that this high performance machine would only run at it's own "specs" for at most 20 minutes before the 2.8ghz machine would throttle below 800 mhz and stay there.

I had begun to tweak with ThrottleStop which totally helped but didn't lift the problem. I sifted through tons of comments (since therein was the real gold) and found people contributing the problem to the "case temperature." I really didn't want to have to crack open the case to do any work to it other than pulling out dust bunnies... So for me, the thermal pads were off the table. I found a few people who were certain the problem is that there is software monitoring the case temp designed to keep your legs comfortable and not too hot while the computer rests on your lap, and that they found the culprit. I did some things and now I'm really really happy.

tldr;

I wanted the most minimal solution possible. Finally I broke down and forced windows to stop the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework. Ever since, I enjoy Fortnite, Heroes of the Storm, etc, cranked to epic at 60fps easy.

I use the Dell dock at work and pitch the notebook in the tent position to optimize its cooling since I'm using all external peripherals. At home I use the screen and keyboard so I like to put it up on something like a plastic lid to keep the vents clear. I've never seen the temp go above 78c and it usually rides about 74c (watching in ThrottleStop while playing). I kept the ThrottleStop under-volt settings I had although I bet it would be fine at full voltage. 

Proceed at your own risk!!!

To Do:

1) Disconnect from the internet. Otherwise the computer will restore the software.

2) Once there is no internet access, Go to device manager (right click windows icon). Right click 7 devices relating to Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework. Each one you will click from the menu Uninstall Device. A few of the devices provide the option to delete the drivers, check this box when its there.

3)  Right click some (any) device and select Scan for Hardware Changes. This will bring up the 7 devices you just uninstalled. Right click each device and select Disable. Once each one is disabled you can close the device manager.

4) Reconnect to the internet and test away!

Done.

16 Posts

September 11th, 2018 09:00

My last reply was marked as SPAM... What gives?

ANYWAY.

It sounds like you are having the same issue with your EXPENSIVE POWERFUL machine as I have had.

The computer ships with software that runs to keep your legs cooler if the computer's case gets too hot. I disabled that software at my own risk.

Since then, I can run Fortnite, HotS, etc at MAX settings... its BEAUTIFUL!! 

I had to do research to find my solution. I tried to share it as a topic in this forum but it was marked as SPAM also. LOL

68 Posts

September 30th, 2018 03:00

Mary G - Umm, not true sorry...

68 Posts

September 30th, 2018 04:00

Hi Coldness,

Unfortunately you may be experiencing GPU problems like a number of other people with this laptop. I have been troubleshooting this for weeks to no avail. Both thermal throttling, BIOS updates and problems with Nvidia/Intel GPU switching are to blame. Dell has actually down-clocked the GPU in the latest BIOS update with even tighter thermal limits...

Yes - Adobe can sometimes release buggy software, this may be the case if it is now working... Also, in regards to some of the other comments - from my experience using Adobe products the past 10 years on both Windows and Mac platforms - I can tell you the difference in performance on similar systems is negligible. PCs usually have the performance edge with proper GPUs and really high end Pro workstations - non existent in the Mac world. 

Finally, yes this GPU is powerful enough for video and graphics editing, a Quadro probably is overkill. I had a Dell XPS 9550 with Nvidia 960m a few years ago and it ran pretty well. If you experience anymore performance issues it may be due to problems with the laptop itself, see the thread below:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Re-Xps-15-9570-performance-has-tanked/m-p/6184075#M17956

Cheers.

15 Posts

September 30th, 2018 10:00

Return it if you can. There is no resolution for this. I went through 3 9570's. Based of several YouTube reviews showing excellent performance while using Adobe Premier Pro..Not sure what they where doing but you will get constant frames dropped and poor performance. The tweaks available are not worth the headache in the long run. It is a sweet looking laptop and the 4k screen is slick.  Performance wise...you will never see the $3k you dropped on it.

You are better off with a Precision Workstation.  The 9570 is a waste of money as there is not sufficient cooling for the processor and gpu so it will constantly throttle.

December 27th, 2018 00:00

Thank good I have not ordered Dell XPS 9570 instead of this I have bought Dell XPS 9360 Touch Screen Laptop for Video Editing. So far I have not found any issues with it.

17 Posts

April 13th, 2019 14:00

mine works perfect with adobe premiere Pro also it works coll and silent!

I also try another laptop with 8 Gb GPU and I dont see any diference with vido editing.

No Events found!