Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 13th, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, audio glitching and crackling

Just purchased the XPS 15 9570 and it has a major issue with audio right away.

There are 2 types of distortion, crackling (something like when there is a bad connection between audio cable and device) and it continues for like 10 seconds, sometimes longer. I guess it happens when the
CPU gets higher but chrome with Spotify is enough which is a joke. And then there are glitches(hard to explain the sound differently) which happens mostly when playing video, either youtube or from a hard drive. It feels like it can't handle it.
I've read that I should switch in between Windows Sony for Headphones and off in Spatial sound, that doesn't help. I also updated the audio Realtek drivers, glitches visited me in the first seconds of listening Spotify.
They don't happen all the time, but enough to raise rage in me.

9.4K Posts

May 29th, 2019 03:00

Hi bjolin72,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

If you haven't already done so, please run a systems diagnostics to check for hardware issues.  Please press F12 at startup or run Dell SupportAssist.  Make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.  If there are none, it could indicate either a software or driver issue.

Some users have reported success by uninstalling all the audio drivers, then rebooting the system so that the native Microsoft drivers reload, then reinstalling the Realtek drivers from the Drivers and Download page.

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

How to Troubleshoot Audio or Sound Playback Issues

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 13th, 2018 08:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience caused & I will be glad to assist you with this.

Open device manager – expand sound & video- right click on the audio driver & click on uninstall (check the box that says delete driver) restart the computer & check if the issue is seen with the native driver.

Open task manager- startup tab – disable all options including the anti-virus & restart the computer.

What is the BIOS Support assist version installed?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Click here to find the service tag -  https://dell.to/2xXUCUW

22 Posts

November 14th, 2018 10:00

I have the same issue (8570H 512gb, 16gb, 4k). It is very aggravating to put up with this. Slightest amount of load and the audio just goes to garbage - crackling, popping, scratching. Disgusting for such an expensive laptop especially when my XPS 9530 was pretty much flawless in that department with much better speakers as well. 

1 Message

November 14th, 2018 15:00

I have this exact same issue which can only be fixed be reinstalling audio driver then restarting the computer...this quite a big workaround and I would like a fix for this especially since my laptop cost me £2000... I  do not expect this with a high-end laptop

5 Posts

November 15th, 2018 04:00

So far the moderator from Dell has been trying to help me and it has gone only worse. I uninstalled the audio drivers and installed them back on. And whatever else he told me to do, the problem is still there. Also, he stopped replying me now. Now I can't even watch a video on Youtube. I'll attach photos taken from my phone because the printscreen function didn't work as well.  The screen went black for a few seconds after just opening Chrome then I played a video on Youtube, after pressing fullscreen you'll see what happens in images added, also when going back to Youtube from tab where I'm writing this.

Looks like I should send it back and buy something else because this is a joke, not a working station so far. Also won't be able to work at all while getting a different laptop.after switching between tabsafter switching between tabswith fullscreen on(auio playing but no video)with fullscreen on(auio playing but no video)

1 Message

December 18th, 2018 02:00

Got this same issue too... What helps for me, well have to do it over and over again when it happends. Spatial sound option will help this. Right click on the icon of the speaker, Go to "Spatial sound (Off) and change it to Windows Sonic. Ill change it right after that to "Off" again, restart the player of window tab if you where listening to something. And reopen it again. If will now be fixxed, for some time... I feals like a buffer issue, but im not sure. GL

1 Message

March 7th, 2019 22:00

I've got the exact same issue, after searching online best solution I found was to restart the audio service. I wrote a super basic batch exe to do it easily. See link below. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6c4lbe3c5bpr776/AudioResetEx.exe?dl=0

4 Posts

May 28th, 2019 10:00

I have same problem with my Dell XPS 15. Anyone that have found a good solution?

6 Posts

May 28th, 2019 11:00

latest driver updated helped to fix the problem with me.

4 Posts

May 28th, 2019 12:00

Unfortunately not for me. I have Realtek Audio 6.0.1.8656. Still problem.

4 Posts

June 1st, 2019 08:00

Thanks for the reply. Uninstalling Realtek Audio, followed by reboot of computer helped me.

No Events found!