Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

5 Posts

March 12th, 2019 02:00

XPS 15 (9570) camera, orange image.

My built in web camera behaves weird. If I start the camera (any app using the camera) at night in lamp light the image is orange. Looking at an orange snapshot in Photoshop shows that the blue channel values are below 40 while red and green are spanning the full 0-255 range. If I aim the camera direct into the ceiling lamp so the auto exposure is forced to work the image becomes normal. Also temporarily blinding with a flashlight will fix the problem. Restarting the camera will turn the image orange again. There seem to be a problem with the auto exposure in low light at startup.

The camera has been replaced by Dell support (complete display/camera module) but the problem persists. It looks like the camera model used has hardware or firmware problem. The built in webcam is identified as mfg Microsoft and uses Windows default USB webcam drivers. Any ideas for fixing the problem.

• 

17K Posts

March 12th, 2019 05:00

Pucc0,

What happens when you go into the camera settings and change the settings there prior to taking a pic?  Have you tried other camera apps?  Run the diagnostics on the webcam.

ePSA

The Dell XPS 9570 / Precision 5530 is shipped with the Dell™ Enhanced Pre-boot System Assessment (ePSA) diagnostics.

The Dell ePSA diagnostics perform a complete check of your system hardware. The ePSA is embedded in the BIOS and is launched by the BIOS internally (from the advanced boot menu). The embedded system diagnostics provide a set of options for particular devices or device groups allowing you to:

• Run tests automatically or in an interactive mode.
  • Repeat tests
  • Display or save test results.
  • Run thorough tests to introduce additional test options to provide extra information about the failed device(s).
  • View status messages that inform you if tests are completed successfully.
  • View error messages that inform you of problems encountered during testing.

Launching the ePSA Diagnostics

• Tap F12 key repeatedly during system startup (at the Dell logo screen) until the BIOS Boot Menu appears on the screen.
  • On the Boot Menu screen, select the Diagnostics option, and then press Enter

5 Posts

March 13th, 2019 15:00

I have done all tests with no problems detected. I have followed the procedure on Dell's support site both running the component test for the integrated webcam and also uninstalled the driver and letting Windows update reinstall drivers.

There are no settings in Windows 10 camera app and in Skype. Everything is controlled by Microsoft.

The problem is also present in CyberLlink YouCam 8 but there are settings for the auto exposure here.

• 

17K Posts

March 14th, 2019 04:00

Pucc0,

At night in lamp light the image is orange. 

This is normal.

Is the orange visible in daylight? 

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message as well as your Registered name
Email address
Phone number

1 Message

June 8th, 2020 03:00

any solution found for this? i have exactly the same problem. the only time the orange is gone is when i sit outside with bright daylight, which cannot be the standard with which a good white balance is measured?

2 Posts

August 10th, 2020 11:00

Same problem here too.  I have a Dell XPS 15 7590 with Win 10.  It looks like I'm very sun-burnt all the time.  Webcam central settings are all greyed out, with no ability to change them.  I can't find my freakin' camera settings!  Help me out here.  This should be simple...

1 Message

September 3rd, 2020 20:00

yea me too,im using 7590 my camera image appear to be orange. any solution? since its 2000$

4 Posts

October 4th, 2020 17:00

I just received my new xps 15 9570 (2019 version).  The sunburned (orange) fleshtone is exactly what I am experiencing with this webcam.  I have found several online complaints discussing this problem, so evidently this is a well known issue.  I have tried the online diagnostics with no success - it simply tells me everything is up to date.  I use this computer constantly for online meetings, and on a large Zoom meeting, I am literally the only person with abnormal fleshtones.

I also can find no settings to adjust the webcam anywhere.  If I can't get an answer to this problem, I will be returning the computer and get one that performs at the level of the price tag.

2 Posts

October 4th, 2020 18:00

The solution for me was Skype. If you don't have it, install it. When you adjust the settings in there, it adjusts it across all windows applications. Bogus, I know. But true.

4 Posts

October 5th, 2020 05:00

Thanks for the tip. I’ll give it a shot when I get back to my office and let you know if it did the trick.  

4 Posts

October 5th, 2020 05:00

Dell support sent me a follow up email, but it is from a no reply address. How do I send my codes?

4 Posts

October 6th, 2020 06:00

Thanks for the heads up about Skype.  It did a good job of adjusting the color rendering.  I still have issues with the grainy appearance of the camera.  Dell has done a lousy thing in sticking a cheap camera and/or poor drivers in a very expensive computer.

Anyway - much appreciated!

1 Message

October 11th, 2020 14:00

Thanks for the tip on Skype! Still mad that the laptop I shelled out for doesn't work as well as the 7 year old chromebook I borrowed from my high school.

Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of the annoying lines that come across the camera as well?

No Events found!