Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2018 03:00

XPS 15 9570 cannot switch to Nvidia GPU on external USB-C/HD

After reading many posts on the subject (according to which, by default, when you conncect an external monitor, nVidia GPU is always selected), on my new DELL XPS 15 i9 this does not happen! Although I can set the global settings of Nvidia in order to use the GTX 1050ti on all programs by default, unfortunately I can not do the same thing regarding the external monitor (and also the internal touch display!). All is always directed to the Intel HD 630 and I find no way to change this setting.

It would therefore seem, contrary to what was said by the experts of this forum, that when connecting an external monitor to the XPS 15 the nVidia is NOT turned on!

- I tried to reinstall Windows and all the drivers from scratch.
- I tried to install the Intel drivers from the Intel site (which is impossible to do for those of nVidia, which strangely are not supported!!! Very frustrating thing: ONLY THOSE FROM THE DELL SITE work ... mystery!)
- I tried using an HDMI cable

Nothing to do: ALWAYS AND ONLY INTEL GRAPHIC HD630 used.

Can someone help me, before I give back to DELL this laptop?
Thank you in advance
Alessio

P.S. USB/C cable that I used (that came with LG monitor) fully supports the 3.1 USB standard with video data transfer (it was used without problems on a MacBook Pro).

display.png0 display.png

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 4th, 2018 06:00

See the post I wrote in another thread linked below. In most modern multi-GPU systems, the iGPU is physically wired to all outputs, and the dGPU when activated acts as a render-only device that passes completed video frames to the iGPU for output to the display. That’s how NVIDIA Optimus works. It sounds like the information you read about the dGPU always being used with external displays may have pertained to pre-NVIDIA Optimus systems and possibly earlier Latitude and Precision systems where the dock display outputs were always wired to th the dGPU if the system had one. That’s much less common today. If your system is like most others, you will never get the display to appear as physically attached to the dGPU because that’s simply not how the system is internally wired, but that does NOT mean the dGPU is unusable. More detail in this post: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Hybrid-vs-Optimus-Graphics/m-p/5707789/highlight/true#M3579

2 Posts

August 4th, 2018 08:00

WOW, the linked post is one of the most professional I ever read in my life :BigSmile: ... even if what I learned is not so positive! When I bought (for 2.600,00 euros!) this XPS I was thinking to take the ultimate and most powerful notebook over the world :BigSmile: but KNOW I learn that, for example, Precision 7000 Series models are more versatile than XPS, because you can choose every "combination" of usage of iGPU/dGPU.

I'm very disappointed... because today 4k external monitors are very popular and  being forced to use a bottleneck, consisting of the Intel HD630 (which also have the notebooks 400 euros) means having a Lamborghini and being forced to walk on a white road.

I do not know (and, frankly, I do not even know where to find this information so technical!) if even the new Macbook Pro are affected by this problem (undervalued, I think, by all the enthusiasts Youtuber  who praise this XPS as if it were the TOP for the 'video editing etc.) but if it were not, I think it would certainly be worth going back to Apple mom...

Anyway, THANK YOU SO MUCH for this exhaustive answer :-)

No Events found!