Go to Solution

October 16th, 2018 09:00

XPS 15 9570, docking station

Hi guys. What is the docking station for XPS 15" 9570 2018? Thx

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 17th, 2018 09:00

I'm not sure what SP3 refers to either, but it wouldn't be Windows 7 since there was only an SP1 for Windows 7.  The last OS to get an SP3 was Windows XP.  But as ejn63 says above, you can definitely dock your system and keep the lid closed.  I use my own systems like that.  I simplify that setup by setting the "Lid close action" to Do Nothing in Power Settings instead of the default Sleep behavior.  Not everyone likes doing that, though.  If you want to keep allowing the system to go to sleep in general but still be able to use the system with the lid closed when docked, then you'll need to close the lid, dock the system, and then use the Power button on the dock itself to wake the system up.  Note that this will only work when using a Dell dock with a Dell laptop, so if you choose some other dock, you may have to either change the "Lid close action" to Do Nothing and then manually put the system to sleep when you want to do that, or otherwise keep the lid open when you're docked.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

October 16th, 2018 12:00

Any USB 3/Thunderbolt dock you want -- depends on what you want to connect and how much you want to spend.

True docking stations with a dedicated dock port are a thing of the past - they all use standard USB 3 and/or Thunderbolt ports now.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 16th, 2018 13:00

While any USB-C/TB3 Dock will technically work, ejn63 forgot to mention that if you want a dock that will actually CHARGE the system, you have very few options. Although many docks claim that they can charge laptops, the XPS 15 requires 130W for full performance, which is more than the official USB Power Delivery spec max of 100W, and most docks don’t even deliver 100W. If you want to charge your system from the dock connection rather than having to connect the charger separately, you have two options:

- The Dell WD15 USB-C dock with the 180W power supply (not the 130W it can also be ordered with)

- The Dell TB16 TB3 dock with the 240W power supply (not the 180W it can also be ordered with)

Both of those are capable of delivering 130W to the system over the USB-C/TB3 cable. The main difference between them is that the WD15 can do dual displays up to 1080p or a single 1440p display, whereas the TB16 can do dual displays up to 4K and even some triple display configurations.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

You can set the system to function with the lid closed, but it's not clear what SP3 refers to  - if that's Windows 7, you can forget the XPS 9570 -- it's Windows 10 only.

]

2 Posts

Perfect now all is very easy. Actually i have a docking for my sony vaio notebook that with our docking is very similar at pc desktop. Now with my new upgrade versus Dell XPS that i seem the best, i waolud reply the sony. Last question: with that new docking i can use the notebokk on external monitor, with external keyboard, external mouse, eccc and with the sp3 notebook window closed, is it correct?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 17th, 2018 10:00

@ejn63 wrote:

Though it's not called so officially, the unofficial reference to the last big rollup of security updates (designed to be done offline, to avoid the gigs of downloads multiple times) for Windows 7 is commonly SP3.

No, that "Convenience rollup update" is unofficially referred to as SP2, because the only "official" Service Pack was SP1.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

Though it's not called so officially, the unofficial reference to the last big rollup of security updates (designed to be done offline, to avoid the gigs of downloads multiple times) for Windows 7 is commonly SP3.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

There were more than one of these updates -- the last did indeed get the unofficial title of "service pack 3" -- this is the 2017 version.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3158858/microsoft-windows/signs-point-to-microsofts-imminent-release-of-windows-7-service-pack-3.html

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 19th, 2018 22:00

@ejn63 wrote:

There were more than one of these updates -- the last did indeed get the unofficial title of "service pack 3" -- this is the 2017 version.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3158858/microsoft-windows/signs-point-to-microsofts-imminent-release-of-windows-7-service-pack-3.html

The author of that article speculated that an SP3-type cumulative update would be coming.  It never actually arrived.  There was SP1 and then the convenience update.  Since then there have been nothing but monthly rollups, but those are not cumulative all the way back even to the convenience update, never mind SP1.  The monthly rollups are just bundles of all of the month's updates in a single package, as opposed to the previous delivery mechanism where every update was available as a separate download.  If you want to continue insisting otherwise, then try to find a link to an actual cumulative update newer than the convenience update rather than an article that speculated that one might be coming.

December 4th, 2018 15:00

@jphughan wrote:

I'm not sure what SP3 refers to either, but it wouldn't be Windows 7 since there was only an SP1 for Windows 7.  The last OS to get an SP3 was Windows XP.  But as ejn63 says above, you can definitely dock your system and keep the lid closed.  I use my own systems like that.  I simplify that setup by setting the "Lid close action" to Do Nothing in Power Settings instead of the default Sleep behavior.  Not everyone likes doing that, though.  If you want to keep allowing the system to go to sleep in general but still be able to use the system with the lid closed when docked, then you'll need to close the lid, dock the system, and then use the Power button on the dock itself to wake the system up.  Note that this will only work when using a Dell dock with a Dell laptop, so if you choose some other dock, you may have to either change the "Lid close action" to Do Nothing and then manually put the system to sleep when you want to do that, or otherwise keep the lid open when you're docked.

I believe OP is referring to a Surface Pro 3 (SP3 for short), which has a mDP out and would make sense with why he's looking for a capable dock.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023445/surface-pro-3-features

3 Posts

March 8th, 2019 08:00

@jphughan wrote:

The Dell WD15 USB-C dock with the 180W power supply (not the 130W it can also be ordered with)

- The Dell TB16 TB3 dock with the 240W power supply (not the 180W it can also be ordered with)

I am confused. If the XPS 15 requires 130W, why are the 130 and 180W docks not acceptable?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 8th, 2019 10:00

@LessPaul wrote:

@jphughan wrote:

The Dell WD15 USB-C dock with the 180W power supply (not the 130W it can also be ordered with)

I am confused. If the XPS 15 requires 130W, why are the 130 and 180W docks not acceptable?

@LessPaul, the XPS 15 requires 130W all to itself -- but the dock ALSO requires power in order to run its internal electronics and to provide power to USB peripherals you might attach, plus an "upstream" Thunderbolt peripheral in the case of the TB16.  So if the WD15 itself is only getting 130W from the wall, then it can't pass all of that through to the attached XPS 15 -- which is why you need the WD15 version with a 180W adapter in order to do that.  In the case of the TB16, there are more power-hungry components inside, and I believe that upstream Thunderbolt 3 port is rated to supply up to 60W to an attached peripheral, which is why the TB16 uses 180W and 240W adapter options rather than the WD15's 130W and 180W -- and once again, if you want 130W available to pass through to the attached system, you need the dock itself to have the higher wattage adapter option.

(Note: It's very likely that the WD15 even with the maximum number of peripherals connected would not require 50W to run itself, i.e. the difference between the available 130W and 180W adapter options.  However, before these docks existed, Dell was already manufacturing 130W, 180W, and 240W power adapters for various system models, and they still use those wattages in systems being released today, so I suspect they just opted to use their existing power adapters with these docks even if they might be a bit "oversized" rather than creating more power adapter variants.)

3 Posts

March 8th, 2019 10:00

Thank you.

No Events found!