Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

4 Posts

June 14th, 2019 22:00

XPS 15-9570, edit video and photo, LCD flicker

I have a Dell XPS 15-9570 with 32 GB of RAM and i7, 4k UHD LCD. I purchased this computer for video editing. Since I've had it, I've had trouble whenever editing photos or videos as the LCD continues to flicker black at random intervals. I've restored my computer three times as well as updated and rolled back various graphics drivers. I've updated and rolled back the systems BIOS on even more. I've googled my problem on multiple occasions and tried just about every possible "solution" I could find to no avail. I don't know what else to do. Is there anything I could possibly be missing? Has anybody else had this problem and successfully solved it? If so what combination of drivers/BIOS were you using? I'm disappointed that I'm unable to utilize my machine to its fullest potential.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 17th, 2019 07:00

Do you see the LCD flicker when running the LCD Built-in Self Test (BIST) ?

4 Posts

June 19th, 2019 01:00

I ran the BIST test multiple times and found no issue while testing.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 19th, 2019 07:00

The purchased warranty expires on October 16, 2019. You might consider extending it.

"whenever editing photos or videos as the LCD continues to flicker black at random intervals"
Using what software? If 3rd party non-Microsoft software, have you posted the issue on their Forums to see what other users of their software have to say?

The LCD BIST confirms that the LCD on a hardware level is functional. I also doubt that the GeForce GTX 1050 is faulty. The fault has to be either the GPU driver or some operating system setting. You should reinstall our OEM Intel Chipset driver and GeForce GTX 1050 driver (even if they are older than what you have now) and retest.

4 Posts

June 19th, 2019 09:00

I have this problem most frequently whenever doing any intensive task (I'm a photo/video editor and use upwards of 4 given programs) and often times immediately after startup. I've tried changing the settings in Dell PremierColor as well as Intel Graphics Settings numerous times as well. Would it be possible for me to send the machine in?

I've seen other reports of this problem documented across the web. It seems to be specific to the Dell XPS laptops featuring high-resolution displays. https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/XPS-9560-Screen-flicker/td-p/5126096

My problem looks exactly like the one detailed here on an identical machine https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/96yn3w/dell_xps_9570_periodic_screen_flicker/

The user ended up returning their machine due to continued frustration. I'm hoping to avoid this outcome.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 19th, 2019 10:00

All the Service Center would do is run the pre-Windows ePSA diagnostics (which would pass), and the LCD BIST (which passed). Since they would not have any your 3rd party photo/video editor software to test on, they would only be able to test apps built into Microsoft Windows, which would not show any fault.

In addition to my previous instructions to reinstall our OEM Chipset, GeForce GTX 1050 drivers. Reinstall our Intel GPU driver, (Version 6617 A04). Then retest.

4 Posts

June 19th, 2019 14:00

Just reinstalled both drivers to no avail. Native Windows apps still demonstrate the issue. It's only highlighted when I'm performing a resource-intensive task.

However, I did force Photoshop to use my Nvidia GPU via the "graphics settings" window and ceased to experience the issue. How can I force my PC to use my Nvidia GPU at all times following startup? This may rectify the issue.

Thanks,

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 24th, 2019 05:00

I do not know if your model will allow this, but here are the instructions =

* Right click on the desktop
* Click NVIDIA Control Panel
* Click Manage 3D Settings on the left menu
* Click on the Preferred graphics processor drop down menu under the Global Settings tab
* Select High-performance NVIDIA processor from the list
* Click Apply- OK

No Events found!