Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2018 07:00

XPS 15-9570, keyboard skipping keys

Hi,

I saw the post about the XPS 13 9370 having this same issue. I'm also experiencing it with my XPS 15 9570. It looks like a BIOS update fixed it for that machine. Do we know when there will be an update for the 9570 o address this issue?

68 Posts

October 26th, 2018 22:00

I have key skip on the XPS 9570 with BIOS 1.5.0. Its extremely frustrating having to press " multiple times even on a USB keyboard!
I also have GPU performance problems with Optimus due to Dell not releasing new drivers after the Windows 1803 update.

19 Posts

October 27th, 2018 03:00

That's interesting that it still happens on a USB keyboard.  That is one option Dell wanted me to try to see if it was the internal keyboard.  Obviously it is not the keyboard.  Anyway, I have now received a full refund.  I can only suggest you all insist on a refund, maybe then Dell will do something about it.

3 Posts

October 27th, 2018 18:00

This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm experiencing the same issue on my 9570, and I have the 1.5 version of the BIOS (released October 5).

The problem is least noticeable on the laptop's native keyboard (which makes sense because that's what they're testing on

It's more noticeable on external keyboards. I've tried two different keyboards, and they both have the same problem (of varying degrees).

19 Posts

October 28th, 2018 01:00

There is an option in the BIOS to set a description under "maintenance asset tag".  Try typing in this to see if you still get the missing key problems.  Don't set it though, as once set you cannot change it again.  If the problem persists it must be hardware, if it gone it must be the Windows operating system or drivers.

3 Posts

October 28th, 2018 11:00

It's definitely not a physical keyboard problem. I have tried it out with two different keyboards.

3 Posts

October 30th, 2018 11:00

Hello,

I am looking for a new laptop to replace my old one and I have this particular model in focus. Before becoming an owner, I thought to do some research regarding what to expect from it.  

Most users are complaining about the keyboard, which skips keys. After reading this thread and doing some research on the issue, it seems like it is software related and not hardware, because other laptop brands have it as well.

I have a Dell Latitude E series at my workplace. The keyboard does not bother me, however after reading this thread, I wanted to see if I can reproduce the issue on it, just to see if it is software related and I might have successfully managed to make it skip keys by adjusting some Windows OS settings, but further confirmation is needed. Therefore, I ask for further verification on the issue.

Based on the statements, written in this forum thread, that some users did not experience the problem in Linux, just in Windows also on USB Keyboards, I ask you, to please try to adjust the following settings in Windows and leave a comment as feedback:

Case Windows 10:

- please go to settings->ease of access->click keyboard-> turn the Filter Keys feature OFF. (The Filter Keys option ignores brief or repeated keystrokes and changes keyboard repeat rates)
c06157239

Case Windows 7:

- control panel->keyboard-> in the first tab you will see 2 options: 1. Repeat delay and 2. Repeat rate. Please play with these settings to see if it fixes the issue for you.

cursor-speed

Test:

On my Windows 7 Dell Latitude E series after setting the keyboard option called “Repeat delay” to max Long and “Repeat rate” to slowest slow, I tested it by typing 10 times, fast, the A letter and I got only 8 As displayed in notepad, therefor I got 2 skips. Setting it to fast I got no skips.

Please test and leave feedback in this thread, maybe the settings that come with some Windows preinstalled Dell laptops are not adjusted for fast typing or it is just a typing preference. 

Best regards,

Alex

November 5th, 2018 15:00

Justin,

Can you please advise whether my Dell XPS 15 9530 will be covered under the XPS 15 9570 BIOS update?  If not, is Dell working on a skipping key fix for the 9530?

Best Regards,

Mark

44 Posts

November 7th, 2018 00:00

@alx_xx

It looks like this keyboard bug has been fixed with the BIOS 1.5.

I installed the BIOS 1.5 and I don't have any skipping keys any more even with the Panel self refresh option in Intel graphics settings set to enabled.

19 Posts

November 7th, 2018 08:00

see navbryce post

2 Posts

November 9th, 2018 15:00

I just purchased a dell precision 5530 refurbished.

And as I am typing this post, it is presing 3 over and over by itself, randomly, as I type.

Sometimes, its good for hours, but then itll start doing it constantly.

Everything is up to date.

I am using a wired keyboard through usb. and a wireless/wired mouse on another usb.

With an external monitor through hdmi.

Please help? or else I will return.

2 Posts

November 9th, 2018 15:00

I will note that it is ALWAYS 3. 

and If I press shift, it seems like it makes it worse?? (just a guess based on the frequency of the problem when I press shift.).

1 Message

November 9th, 2018 21:00

I am having the same problem on my Dell XPS 9560 as of about a week or so ago. It is driving me nuts. Dell, please fix!!!

1 Message

November 10th, 2018 01:00

I'm experiencing the same problem of Keyboard Skipping Keys

After I've desactivated the auto refresh from Intel graphic, it seems that the keyboard works fine, until this is fixed by Dell.

But Im experiencing a similar problem on the trackpad, meaning sometimes a hit on the trackpad will not be taken into account : VERY ANNOYING

Have anyone experienced this problem ?

• 

16.7K Posts

November 14th, 2018 06:00

cpp585,

Click the link below and download the latest bios version. When updating the bios make sure the system is connected with the ac adapter as it will reboot during the bios update.

Dell xps 9570 Drivers, Downloads and Manuals

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 14th, 2018 08:00

one37,

* Plug the AC adapter into the XPS 15-9570
* Disconnect ALL USB peripheral devices from the XPS 15-9570
* Download/install the latest BIOS 1.5.0
* Allow it to restart the XPS 15-9570 when done
* Use the free Intel DSA (Driver Support Assistant) utility to check, and if needed, install/update the Intel drivers. Let me know if it finds any to update, and, if they install. Restart the XPS 15-9570 when done and retest

No Events found!