Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

September 15th, 2018 05:00

XPS 15-9570, performance has tanked

Hi Alan,

I have been troubleshooting poor performance on an XPS 9570 without much luck the past 2 weeks. Drops of up to 80% performance in games (from 150fps to 15-30fps) V-sync does not fix the issue, makes it worse. Terrible performance with Adobe video editing applications. 

To answer your questions:

a) Yes exact same games, same Adobe applications.

b) AC power

c) Updated to windows 1803  (I believe this is could be the problem!) :Hmm:

d) Updated to BIOS 1.3.1 for XPS 9570 (again possibly the problem!) :Hmm:

e) Yes, I've tweaked everything to maximum and set all apps to use Nvidia GPU.

f) No faults detected. I tested with the recovery image and then updates (from Dell site) no change.

Also

I wiped the laptop back to the factory image from the recovery partition. This didn't fix anything... even with the old drivers. It was working fine when I first received the laptop, had no performance problems. The fact this is no longer the case with the original factory image is puzzling! I suspect the recent BIOS update is the issue.

Other issues include, videos stuttering for the first few seconds or when the cursor is moved. Videos not up-scaling correctly on YouTube (You can see a pixel-like grid on 1080p and lower) When you move the cursor in full screen videos appear smoother and up-scaled. When the cursor and play-bar dissapears videos lag for a few seconds and you can then see a grid/rough edges as the videos aren't up-scaling.  

Lastly both the Intel and Nvidia GPU are under load at the exact same time under the performance monitor. The GPU switching might be broken, causing all these issues. I re-installed the Intel Thermal Dynamic Platform driver and even rolled it back, but had no luck.

For the laptop to suddenly drop in performance by 5x is beyond thermal throttling. The only other explanation I can think of is a hardware fault if not the BIOS or Windows update. A number of people have reported these faults over the past few weeks.

Please send this to the system engineers/software devs so we can get this fixed ASAP!

68 Posts

January 14th, 2019 19:00

Hi Alan, It's pretty much across all apps.

The problem is with both the Nvidia and Intel driver or how Dell has them implemented. Windows build 1809 released many months ago, both Nvidia and Intel released driver updates to fix problems it introduced, Dell didn't do anything... It could still be a BIOS issue, but I have no idea. You can tell us to re-install drivers, reload the factory image, run tests - but this issue is SOLELY a Dell problem. I've just noticed a 3rd user commenting on this thread in the last 24hrs.

Yes the Temperature bug may have played a role, but if you download Optimus state viewer, it will show the Nvidia GPU constantly switching back and forth between integrated and dedicated (Nvidia on/off) regardless of how much load the laptop is under. The performance graph under task manager also shows similar usage between GPU0 and GPU1 even if you force the game or app to run on the dedicated GPU. Still massive frame drops in games as users have reported and Adobe applications (CUDA/OpenGL based) completely freeze up (probably wondering why the Nvidia GPU keeps enabling and disabling itself).

Again with the number of bugs on this system - something is wrong at Dell. Other manufacturers usually resolve these issues pretty quickly - but it is now a fact that something is inherently wrong with these laptops and that Dell doesn't do proper QA testing. Still DPC audio latency problems, skipping keys.

I was one one of the first few people to comment on the 1.3.1 GPU cold temperature bug soon after the BIOS release nearly 6 months ago! Dell kept denying the issue for many months - until enough users complained and it was reported on a laptop review site not long ago... Dell simply doesn't get it.

Probably not much you can do to be honest, but if you know any senior people at Dell - please share this with them.

35 Posts

January 15th, 2019 01:00

Thank you for this statement BroBot92.
I totally agree with you. This laptop is a flagship product and it's a shame how Dell is managing the obvious problems with this device.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

January 15th, 2019 06:00

@reymito12 wrote:

i have the same issue before i used to have over 100 frames on rainbow 6 siege and now i can barely get 59 to 60 frames but the biggest problem that i am running into is the sudden drops in frames

@reymito12 thanks for your addition. Has this frame rate drop coincided with the BIOS update? Have you made any other updates to the system or the drivers?

Is the problem specific to Rainbow 6 siege or do you see it with other games?

What BIOS revision are you running?

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

January 15th, 2019 07:00

@BroBot92 wrote:

Hi Alan, It's pretty much across all apps.

The problem is with both the Nvidia and Intel driver or how Dell has them implemented. Windows build 1809 released many months ago, both Nvidia and Intel released driver updates to fix problems it introduced, Dell didn't do anything... It could still be a BIOS issue, but I have no idea. You can tell us to re-install drivers, reload the factory image, run tests - but this issue is SOLELY a Dell problem. I've just noticed a 3rd user commenting on this thread in the last 24hrs.

Yes the Temperature bug may have played a role, but if you download Optimus state viewer, it will show the Nvidia GPU constantly switching back and forth between integrated and dedicated (Nvidia on/off) regardless of how much load the laptop is under. The performance graph under task manager also shows similar usage between GPU0 and GPU1 even if you force the game or app to run on the dedicated GPU. Still massive frame drops in games as users have reported and Adobe applications (CUDA/OpenGL based) completely freeze up (probably wondering why the Nvidia GPU keeps enabling and disabling itself).

Again with the number of bugs on this system - something is wrong at Dell. Other manufacturers usually resolve these issues pretty quickly - but it is now a fact that something is inherently wrong with these laptops and that Dell doesn't do proper QA testing. Still DPC audio latency problems, skipping keys.

I was one one of the first few people to comment on the 1.3.1 GPU cold temperature bug soon after the BIOS release nearly 6 months ago! Dell kept denying the issue for many months - until enough users complained and it was reported on a laptop review site not long ago... Dell simply doesn't get it.

Probably not much you can do to be honest, but if you know any senior people at Dell - please share this with them.

@BroBot92 I work closely alongside engineering giving them feedback from the collective forums users. This feedback, in turn, leads to further developments of BIOS / drivers etc.

Are you willing to help us with our investigations by providing system logs for analysis by engineering?

Alan

68 Posts

January 17th, 2019 04:00

Hi Alan,

I would, however Dell still has multiple issues that they are well aware of such as DPC audio latency. I still have keys that need to be pressed twice before registering, even with a USB keyboard on bios 1.7. (also Bluetooth disappearing from the system every so often)

Until they fix these issues I'm probably wasting my time and should just return the laptop. A good start would be to support the latest DC-complaint Windows Intel and Nvidia drivers - Dell Pro support mentioned in an email that Dell doesn't yet have drivers compliant with Windows 1809. Maybe this is why GPU switching is broken?

I would suggest working with notebookcheck.net

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-15-9570-issues-still-cause-of-concern-for-owners.393156.0.html

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

January 17th, 2019 08:00

@BroBot92

If you are unhappy about the system due to the issues you have described above I would suggest contacting your local support and discussing your options for returning it.

With regards to the issues you have described, we are currently investigating and working with the vendors to implement the solutions. As explained in my previous post, the audio and graphics issues need to be resolved by the vendors first before we can roll out the Dell validated versions. This can take a significant amount of weeks depending on what we find out during the validation and testing phases. 

We are currently waiting on the video drivers being released.

For the audio issues, it has been suggested on one the following Reddit thread that installing the high definition version of the audio driver may resolve the issue for you - https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/abglyr/brand_new_xps_9570_owner_my_audio_went_from/

For the skipping keys issue, it shouldn't be present with an external keyboard attached. That would suggest a hardware problem with the motherboard.

Alan

68 Posts

January 21st, 2019 04:00

2 Posts

February 4th, 2019 16:00

Ever since i upgraded to BIOS 1.70 my XPS 9570 randomly just shuts off.  It is so annoying.  I spent 3 hours on the phone with Dell Support today and all they did was run all the tests which were all fine.  And they re-installed all the drivers.  The issue still existed.  Then they downgraded me to BIOS 1.6.   As soon as I disconnected my power adapter from the laptop - it froze and gave me a white screen.  I had to keep the power button pressed for 10 seconds or more to get it to turn off so i could reboot it.  

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

February 5th, 2019 06:00

@kmd606 wrote:

Ever since i upgraded to BIOS 1.70 my XPS 9570 randomly just shuts off.  It is so annoying.  I spent 3 hours on the phone with Dell Support today and all they did was run all the tests which were all fine.  And they re-installed all the drivers.  The issue still existed.  Then they downgraded me to BIOS 1.6.   As soon as I disconnected my power adapter from the laptop - it froze and gave me a white screen.  I had to keep the power button pressed for 10 seconds or more to get it to turn off so i could reboot it.  

@kmd606 is the system shutting down to off or is it restarting itself to Windows? 
Did you make the support team aware of the laptop freezing and the white screen?
Are they continuing troubleshooting with you?

I'll drop you a private message to get your tag details from you.

Alan

2 Posts

February 5th, 2019 09:00

@Dell-Alan D the system is shutting down to OFF.  They have left the case open and asked me to monitor the situation after the downgrade to 1.6.  The fan randomly kicks in even when i dont have any CPU or GPU intensive apps open or running.

1 Message

February 8th, 2019 21:00

@Dell-Alan D I am having the same issue in my xps 15 9570. I am having an extreme sudden lag and drop in frame rates !!! Everything is up to date maybe the problem is the update itslef. Please fix it!!

February 11th, 2019 19:00

After changing my motherboard (by Dell on warranty) and re-installing windows 10, I had the same problem.

But I found it!!! go to "add or remove programs" and uninstall "intel dynamic platform and thermal framework". I wasted so many time on that c**p, I almost can't believe it.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

February 13th, 2019 04:00

@JDownloader wrote:

After changing my motherboard (by Dell on warranty) and re-installing windows 10, I had the same problem.

But I found it!!! go to "add or remove programs" and uninstall "intel dynamic platform and thermal framework". I wasted so many time on that cap, I almost can't believe it.

Hi @JDownloader removing the Intel Dynamic Platform driver is not something that we would recommend as it's designed to manage the thermal performance of the system and protect it from overheating through thermal throttling. 

Whilst it is not recommended to do, I am aware of others trying this on another forum and running the system without that driver. This has been in conjunction with other cooling measures. Whilst the thermal throttling will be removed, I'm concerned about the long term effects on the motherboard.

How long have you been running the system like this?
What kind of temperatures are you seeing during use?
Have you seen any other noticeable side effects from trying this?

Alan

February 13th, 2019 05:00

Hi @Dell-Alan D,

Before uninstalling «intel dynamic platform and thermal framework» my laptop was almost unusable for the heavy computing I have to do for my work. I'm a software developer and trust me, I use those 32gb of ram and that processor. The base clock of the cpu would top at 0.8Ghz when gpu reach 38°C on load, fans wouldn't come on and were barely silent. I try to reinstall that Intel **bleep** even downgrade it, but still.

How long have you been running the system like this? 2 days
What kind of temperatures are you seeing during use? CPU max at 75°C, IDLE at 40°C
Have you seen any other noticeable side effects from trying this? I have a laptop that do the job now. Fans comes on, not for 2sec and stop like before...

It's probably a bit hot, since i'm not gaming (my Nvidia 1050Ti is almost not used at all). If I had control over my fans I would turn then on more often, but Dell don't allow it. I will not return to the performance of my 2008 computer, because Dell recommends it. I've already waited too long for a fix and probably i'm not the only one.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

February 13th, 2019 06:00

@JDownloader wrote:

Hi @Dell-Alan D,

Before uninstalling «intel dynamic platform and thermal framework» my laptop was almost unusable for the heavy computing I have to do for my work. I'm a software developer and trust me, I use those 32gb of ram and that processor. The base clock of the cpu would top at 0.8Ghz when gpu reach 38°C on load, fans wouldn't come on and were barely silent. I try to reinstall that Intel **bleep** even downgrade it, but still.

How long have you been running the system like this? 2 days
What kind of temperatures are you seeing during use? CPU max at 75°C, IDLE at 40°C
Have you seen any other noticeable side effects from trying this? I have a laptop that do the job now. Fans comes on, not for 2sec and stop like before...

It's probably a bit hot, since i'm not gaming (my Nvidia 1050Ti is almost not used at all). If I had control over my fans I would turn then on more often, but Dell don't allow it. I will not return to the performance of my 2008 computer, because Dell recommends it. I've already waited too long for a fix and probably i'm not the only one.

@JDownloader thanks for your feedback on this. I shall pass it on to engineering.

Alan

No Events found!