Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 11th, 2020 05:00

XPS 15 9575 2-in-1 touch screen stopped working after applied wrong firmware

Hello,

First, I must admit that this is my fault.

My XPS 15 9575 2-in-1 touchscreen stopped responding to finger touches and pen, after I accidentally applied a Wacom touch screen firmware update which turns out to be an update for XPS 13 7390. I think it accidentally overwrote the XPS 9575's touchscreen firmware, despite of the different PID, and rendered it unusable. 

I know that I should read the compatible systems first. It's my fault, I missed it, and I installed it because I discovered that the touchscreen has jitters when you use the pen, and I found somewhere that installing this update will improve it. I didn't realize that it was for a different XPS.

Can anyone help me? Is there any way I can get the original touchscreen firmware of XPS 15 9575 back into my device?

June 24th, 2020 04:00

@Tusher 87I tried factory reset from the boot menu.

The support called me back, and the thing that they can only do is to replace the whole screen. They also explained me that the only thing that can be done in the repair center is just replacing the faulty hardware. They won't go deep into the software or firmware.

Just a few MBs of wrong firmware update, it's still alive and flashable, but you must replace the whole hardware It's kind of ridiculous.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 11th, 2020 11:00

Run the System Restore tool on the computer to see if you're able to go back to an earlier time when touch screen function normally.

How to Use System Restore (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)

Capture.PNG

June 11th, 2020 13:00

I tried the system restore, to the time before I installed the firmware update, but unfortunately it didn't work. I suppose that it because updating the firmware doesn't have anything to do with the Windows itself, so rolling back with system restore won't rollback the firmware.

June 12th, 2020 16:00

Have been trying all those normal diagnosis and repairing steps, like

• Cleaning the screen, recalibrating the touchscreen: Since the firmware itself busted up, the screen won't respond to anything
  • Updating all drivers: Dell haven't released any touchscreen firmware for XPS 9575, so updating it didn't do anything with the touchscreen.
  • Told to update the Thunderbolt firmware: Thunderbolt doesn't have anything to do with the touchscreen, but whatever I just tried what they've told me, and of course nothing happens.
  • Use SupportAssist to automatically diagnose and repair: Did all the updates, scan hardware, and run the digitizer and touchscreen test. Of course the test failed, since the touchscreen didn't respond. 

It just seems that the touchscreen's firmware is still reflashable, you can apply the firmware I mentioned in the original post many times, but since it's for a different XPS, it will fail. 

Here is the screenshot when the update failed:

ShowPID.exe (AES PID Information)ShowPID.exe (AES PID Information)Firmware update failed screenFirmware update failed screen

All those normal troubleshooting steps just didn't work, and I'm sure that I need the original Wacom touchscreen firmware for the XPS 15 9575. What should I do? Can anyone help me to get the firmware?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 13th, 2020 11:00

" Can anyone help me to get the firmware "?

--------------------------------------------

Surprisingly, System Restore tool didn't fix the touch screen. I'm also surprise computer didn't warn you Wacom touchscreen firmware isn't compatible with the computer. 

Dell recommend installing drivers and firmware from their website. All the latest drivers, application and firmware for the computer is listed in your Dell Product Support page. Just select Detect PC option in the link below. 

Drivers & Downloads 

Do you see Wacom Touch Screen Firmware Update Utility listed in Apps & features or Programs And Features, or Device Manager ? If yes, uninstall it

Do you see touch screen driver listed in Device Manager? Type Device Manager onto [Cortana] search box, expand Human Interface Devices, you should see it now.

Note: You might have to expand each headings to search for touch screen driver.

If you still don't see driver, select Action at top of device manager, and then click Scan For Hardware Changes.

If you still doesn't see touch screen driver, select View, and then click Show Hidden Devices

Lastly, look for any yellow triangle listed by any of the drivers. A yellow indicate there's a problem with the driver

By the way, thanks for the update and sharing images for all to see. 

Capture.PNG

June 14th, 2020 18:00

>  I'm also surprise computer didn't warn you Wacom touchscreen firmware isn't compatible with the computer. 

I'm also surprised, but actually I found out there's a bug in the update process. Part of it is written in a Windows batch file (.bat), and it detects the touchscreen controller's Product ID (PID) and firmware version. But, there's a little coding miss, where it will just update any model, despite unmatching PID. I can share with you more details if you want. 

The update utility is also not listed in Apps & Features, since it just launches directly and writes the firmware. There's "HID-compliant touch screen" listed in Device Manager, I tried to remove it, and it reinstalls on next reboot. But, the touchscreen didn't work after the reinstall. Reinstalling the driver won't repair the firmware, I think.

Actually, I also contacted Dell's technical support via e-mail, and they suggested me to do a factory reset, or send it back to Dell if the problem persists after reset. I don't think resetting it will work, and I'm afraid that sending it back will cost me an expensive motherboard replacement. 

I said so because also actually I found out that you can just flash the touchsreen with any other XPS or Dell's touchscreen firmware if it's Wacom's (there's another brand like ELAN, Raydium, etc..). The flashing process itself will succeed, but the touch won't work since it is not designed specifically for this model. I'm pretty sure that this could be fixed if Dell can provide me the original one...

June 14th, 2020 18:00

> I'm also surprise computer didn't warn you Wacom touchscreen firmware isn't compatible with the computer. 

Yes, I'm also surprised too. Actually, when I looked at it, part of the driver update is a standard Windows batch file (.bat), and the batch file detects the touchscreen's Product ID (PID) and the firmware version there. But, I surprised to find that there's a bug where it will update any model despite unmatching PIDs. I can share you the details if you want.

I can't find the Wacom Touch Screen Firmware Update Utility listed in Apps & Features. And I think it's expected so because it is not installable as an application. The utility just launches directly and writes the firmware.

The "HID-compliant touch screen" is listed in Device Manager, and there's no yellow triangle there. I tried to uninstall it, and it was automatically reinstalled on next reboot, but the touchscreen won't work despite reinstalling it.

Actually, I tried to contact the Dell's e-mail technical support, but they suggest me to reset my computer to factory settings, and if it doesn't work, then I must send it back to Dell for repair. Since the firmware of the touchscreen controller is overwritten directly, I'm not sure that even erasing all the data and resetting to factory setting will fix this. And I'm afraid that sending it back for repair will cost me a motherboard replace, since it is so expensive.

I'm sure if Dell could just provide the firmware, there's a high change that this would be fixed. Actually I found out that the touchscreen's firmware is still flashable, and it can be flashed with any touchscreen firmware from another XPS or Dell product (if it is Wacom's; There's another brand like ELAN and Raydium.), but still the touch won't work since it is not designed specifically for this model.

June 23rd, 2020 12:00

Hi,

@yomogimochi  any update so far? I am in this same horrible situation! Kindly leave a reply for me

June 23rd, 2020 17:00

@Tusher 87  Hello! Actually I contacted dell support, but they keep saying that they can't provide any firmware installer, so I must send my XPS to Dell for repair and I did it. I'm still waiting for the progress, and I'll post here if there's any update.

June 23rd, 2020 22:00

Thanks for the reply @yomogimochi 

Anyway did you try factory reset from the boot menu or did you use an app called dell lifecycle controller to rollback the firmware update?

5 Posts

November 25th, 2020 01:00

Hi, I'm facing the same problem with my XPS 13 7390. Touchscreen stopped working following a Windows 10 update. Tried all the usual troubleshooting solutions. No luck. The HID-compliant driver was listed in the device manager as Hidden device. I figured to do an uninstall, then Windows would force to reinstall upon reboot. No luck either. Device no longer shows up in device manager. Of course, Dell support easiest solution is to replace the screen. Really not sure that will solve it! Please may you advise if you found a solution for this? Dell support wasn't helpful at all for me Thanks in advance

1 Message

January 19th, 2021 19:00

I just got the problem after installing a new keyboard. The WACOM/Dell TOUCH firmware update was recommended under Dell Support website for my laptop. After downloading and installing it, my touchscreen was rendered unresponsive. All troubleshooting has been exhausted and the solution is simply DO NOT INSTALL WACOM TOUCH FIRMWARE. Do not listen to Dell support with typical replies. The only solution is complete replacement of the computer parts governing the LCD touch functionality as the firmware is applied directly to the hardware and not windows itself. This may not be limited to just replacing the screen to restore functionality. 

The fact that Dell recommended a firmware update that proceeded to remove one of the primary functions of my laptop is incredibly frustrating. But what is beyond unreasonable, is the fact there is no true firmware available to apply or flash what was erroneously applied. Had I ignored Dell support website, I'd still have a functioning touch screen. That is until Windows 10 forcefully applies its own function-breaking firmware to my machine. It's been a back and forth struggle of issues with Dell Inspiron. Issues that are entirely avoidable if managed correctly.

If anyone experiences this issue, please do not waste days attempting the conventional troubleshooting methods. You will need to replace the screen and I am considering buying a 2 in 1 from a completely different company.

February 23rd, 2021 13:00

since they are refusing to fix this issue and the firmware is still on the site without any warnings or incompatibility stops? This has happened to me and I'm honestly sick over it. My warranty is up on my laptop as well.

March 17th, 2021 15:00

Has anyone tried actually replacing the screen and did it actually work?! I dumped tons of money into this laptop and I need to fix this issue.

5 Posts

May 19th, 2021 19:00

After months of back and forth, my issue turned out to be a hardware issue. Dell support tried to change the screen twice, still didn't work. They had to replace both screen and hard drive to resolve the issue. Honestly, I'm not impressed with this machine for the price tag! Too many issues in less than 1.5 years of purchase!

No Events found!