Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2018 19:00

XPS 15-9575 2-in-1, touchpad freezing

I got my new laptop less than a month ago and have been very happy with it. However, I have noticed that there is sometimes a problem with the touchpad.

Occasionally, the touchpad will freeze and the cursor will stop moving. These freezes last from about half a second to many seconds. Now, this isn't a huge problem, but it is pretty annoying when it happens.

Anyone with the same problem or ideas on how to fix this problem?

November 5th, 2018 14:00

I have tried all the possible fixed in this thread with only twmpotemp success. I finally bit the bullet Friday and called support. After an hour they decided I need to have my trackpad replaced. I will report back when it is done!

10 Posts

November 5th, 2018 14:00

How often do you encounter this issue? My bottom part of touchpad becomes unresponsive for 10 or so seconds and it happens no more than once per day and it doesn't bother me at all right now. BIOS 1.1.7 (On 1.1.9 my laptop's fans often spin up at a temperature of 50-60 degrees while on battery) all latest chipset related drivers and latest drivers of intel graphics + amd vega. Two weeks ago, before I updated all drivers to the latest version I had encountered this behavior of my touchpad 10-15 times per day.

41 Posts

November 6th, 2018 03:00

@sladang Click the option menu in this post (the 3 dots on the right) and select Report Inappropiate Content. Explain in the Notify Moderator field the test below: This thread was marked as solved, but the issue continues to be a problem for many users in this thread. Please revert the status of this thread to open ! and submit it.. worst thing that can happen someone will be lazy and just delete this post of mine. But hopefully if a few will report as such, it will get someone's attention.

2 Posts

November 6th, 2018 14:00

Oh my goodness, I have been struggling with the same issue for the past three months. I honestly wish I had the option to get a refund because I waited 2 months for Dell to replace my trackpad and the issue never got resolved. I just sent it back in around 3 days ago and I'm not sure if the issue is going to be resolved... Not sure what they will do if I am still having the issue when I get it back.

2 Posts

November 8th, 2018 03:00

I have the same trackpad problem. Dell, we are waiting for an answer to solve this problem!

November 12th, 2018 22:00

I contacted Dell and they plan to replace my trackpad. I'll let you know if fixes the problem.

10 Posts

November 12th, 2018 22:00

@Terafile wrote:

How often do you encounter this issue? My bottom part of touchpad becomes unresponsive for 10 or so seconds and it happens no more than once per day and it doesn't bother me at all right now. BIOS 1.1.7 (On 1.1.9 my laptop's fans often spin up at a temperature of 50-60 degrees while on battery) all latest drivers of chipset related drivers and latest drivers of intel graphics + amd vega. Two weeks ago, before I updated all drivers to the latest version I had encountered this behavior of my touchpad 10-15 times per day.

Now I have freezes each 2 minutes or so. What is going on?

Have anyone tried to see if this issue persists on linux distros?

2 Posts

November 13th, 2018 07:00

For me, using AMD Radeon 18.9.3 driver (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-9-3) solved the touchpad freezing issue for almost a month now.  AMD Radeon 18.9.1 or 18.10.x (from Intel https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28314/Radeon-RX-Vega-M-Graphics) did NOT solve the issue. 

November 13th, 2018 17:00

I rolled back my Radeon driver to 18.9.3. So far so good but I will update this entry with my experiences....

2 Posts

November 13th, 2018 17:00

Rolling back to 18.9.3 worked for me. This was a lifesaver.

I still wouldn't consider this a "fix" though Dell. I'm sure not going to permanently stay on 18.9.3 indefinitely. Obviously AMD/Dell have some kinks they need to work out so that we can be up to date on graphics drivers.

10 Posts

November 19th, 2018 08:00

The above mentioned driver helps to solve this annoying problem but:

- Before installing it, you have to delete completely the current AMD driver and related to it driver components. I turned off Wi-Fi and deleted all graphics drivers (+ AMD audio related driver?) completely using DriverStoreExplorer program. Then installed Intel latest driver from Dell Support page and after that installed the 18.9.3 driver.

- On the next scan for Windows updates the installation for the new driver for AMD Vega will begin. I turned off completely the Windows Update service to stop driver update.

- Sometimes while on AC the buggy touchpad returns,but I figured out that if I set in Power Options - Advanced power settings - Switchable dynamic graphics set to Force-power-saving graphics and Radeon graphics power settings to maximize battery life, the issue won't appear again.

5 Posts

November 19th, 2018 10:00

There is a new bios today, but don't see anything about touchpad in it.

10 Posts

November 20th, 2018 14:00

@Terafile wrote:

The above mentioned driver helps to solve this annoying problem but:

- Before installing it, you have to delete completely the current AMD driver and related to it driver components. I turned off Wi-Fi and deleted all graphics drivers (+ AMD audio related driver?) completely using DriverStoreExplorer program. Then installed Intel latest driver from Dell Support page and after that installed the 18.9.3 driver.

- On the next scan for Windows updates the installation for the new driver for AMD Vega will begin. I turned off completely the Windows Update service to stop driver update.

- Sometimes while on AC the buggy touchpad returns,but I figured out that if I set in Power Options - Advanced power settings - Switchable dynamic graphics set to Force-power-saving graphics and Radeon graphics power settings to maximize battery life, the issue won't appear again.

Well it should not be considered as a fix to the problem as I encounter the problem every second day after driver was clean installed. I don't understand what is going on. 

November 21st, 2018 15:00

I finally bit the bullet and let Dell replace my trackpad.

The repair involved pretty much replacing the entire top half assembly and the repair tech forgot to plug in my wifi antennas or tighten screws all the way. I can at least report that the trackpad issue has been resolved since and I have been using the new one for about a week without issue. 

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2018 19:00

I'm on the phone with support right now and the call is quickly headed that direction.  It's amazing to me that these calls take hours to walk through steps I've already taken.

This will be the second mail-in service request for this machine since I purchased it in April.  The first was to replace fan assemblies.  It's really disappointing that there are no lemon laws for new computers.

I took a gamble on Windows 10 and Dell and it has been nothing but regrets.  I can't wait to sell off this incredibly expensive Dell machine and be productive again.

No Events found!