Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2018 19:00

XPS 15-9575 2-in-1, touchpad freezing

I got my new laptop less than a month ago and have been very happy with it. However, I have noticed that there is sometimes a problem with the touchpad.

Occasionally, the touchpad will freeze and the cursor will stop moving. These freezes last from about half a second to many seconds. Now, this isn't a huge problem, but it is pretty annoying when it happens.

Anyone with the same problem or ideas on how to fix this problem?

41 Posts

November 24th, 2018 05:00

A week after the original trackpad has been replaced, no more issues, on battery or mains. I will chase Dell to try and get an extra 3 months of warranty, as I wasn't really able to use the laptop until the part was replaced. 

11 Posts

November 25th, 2018 01:00

I have the same issues with my trackpad. They replaced my trackpad, after two oder three weeks the issues started again. After that, Dell replaced my mainboard and the trackpad. I enjoyed three weeks with a great working trackpad, and now the issues are starting again. :Angry:
I don't think that this is a software Problem. The trackpad has the same issues while using it in the BIOS for a while.

10 Posts

November 25th, 2018 02:00

Bios 1.2.0, Vega drivers from intel 18.10.2 - 3 days has gone and I've encountered the problem twice while on Battery. Much better experience then with 18.9.3 and Bios 1.1.7

Update 11/27: I take my words back

I think that it's a firmware related problem and not hardware or software.

41 Posts

November 26th, 2018 01:00

I've had issues yesterday with one of my apps showing weird video artefacts, weird coloured lines and boxes (but in that window only, all the others were ok), and I was still able to use the other programs, and the trackpad was 100% responsive. The laptop wasn't very hot, but there was GPU activity for some reason. Had to restart about 2 h later, as the whole thing become unresponsive (very slow to switch apps). I've had this problem from day 1, with 3D games and sometimes in tablet mode - but the trackpad issue was the main focus. 

I believe a major part of the problem lies with the GPU driver. I've been switching between the latest Intel-provided beta and latest AMD-provided Adrenalin software. Neither causes problems in 3D benchmarks, although the laptop gets quite hot after 2-3 hours of testing. Will keep on changing different settings, but if this doesn't get fixed by end of January with a new release of GPU drivers, will have to chase Dell again - no idea what to ask for, most likely a motherboard replacement. 

I have the latest BIOS and Intel 530 driver. 

GPU driver versions for reference: 

Dell website - don't bother, way behind, April 2018.

Intel website - Version: 18.10.2 (Latest) Date: 11/8/2018 GFX_Radeon_BETA_Win10_64_18.10.2.exe (seems to be identical to the previous Adrenalin 18.10.2, just Intel rebranded)

AMD website - 18.11.2  Driver Version: 25.20.14007.1000 radeon-software-adrenalin-18.11.2-minimalsetup-181119_web.exe

Looking at the release notes for AMD's latest: "Fixed Issues. Radeon RX Vega Series graphics products may experience elevated memory clocks during system idle." but as I've mentioned with my app artefacts, they still seem to have some work to do on the driver. Also wondering about how long will it take Intel to just take this driver, rebrand it, and add it as 18.11.2 BETA on their support page - IIRC it was 2 weeks for 18.10.2.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-11-2

5 Posts

November 29th, 2018 15:00

I'm running Fedora Linux 29.  Was seeing the same issue about once a day mouse would freeze for about 3 minutes.  Updated to bios 1.20 and didn't help.  3 days ago disabled self panel refresh and haven't had the issue since then.  Hopefully that did the trick.

41 Posts

November 30th, 2018 01:00

I've disabled the self panel refresh months ago, it was somewhat better as system was stable for longer, but eventually started seeing the problems again. I've updated all the video drivers and even with self panel refresh on default, the laptop is fast and usable most of the time. The video drivers I've mentioned in the previous post allowed me to play the Forza Horizon 4 Demo (free on Windows Store) at an avg of 59 FPS at 1080p with High Settings (demo's default video settings). System stable for 2h while playing, the fans were spinning fast and the laptop did get warm but didn't throttle. However, it's still set at 98% CPU max to avoid the turbo mode (higher temperature = higher chance to throttle). A new set of drivers was released. As usual, Dell support has no clue, and you won't find these on the official Dell drivers page. Intel UWD version 25.20.100.6444 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28139/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10 and today's Radeon Adrenalin version 18.2.1 https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-12-1 I've had no problems with the trackpad since it was replaced. So all I'm looking now at is the temperature and the performance throttle issues. I still would not recommend buying this system, don't feel it's mature enough yet, and certainly not for the current price.

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2018 05:00

My touchpad and battery were replaced 2.5 weeks ago. The problem did not return since then.

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2018 06:00

Update - The issue is back.

5 Posts

December 4th, 2018 15:00

Dell came and replaced my touch pad today.  Waiting to see if the issue comes back.

December 4th, 2018 17:00

Yes exactly and mine is fresh out of the box! I'm tired of this.

41 Posts

December 5th, 2018 01:00

Sorry to see the trackpad replacement didn't fix it for so many people. Mine is still ok after the replacement. Just to say the Radeon RX Vega M GL driver is stable, the version is 25.20.14011.9004. Spent a few more hours on different 3D games and no artifacts, overheating or any other trouble. Gaming performance is as expected for this chip. I'll set back my CPU's power management to 100% early January and report back (at 95% now to avoid throttling and turbo boost). AMD should update the software and drivers again by end of year, hopefully lots of bug fixes and more stable for everyone. Features such as the rumoured "automatic under volt" should be useful for this laptop. Again, not happy to recommend this laptop. It's usable now, but not worth all the hassle.

4 Posts

December 7th, 2018 01:00

I had the same problem, touchpad go crazy, especially with low battery.

Try this workaround:

• - Disable touchpad when a mouse is connected -
  • Disable all the stupid 3 o 4 finger gestures win 10 is using

I had strong improvement.

I hope Dell is doing something to fix this, the only suggestion I recieved from the support is to reinstall the OS. Without any serius hope of improvement. Very unprofessional

Ciao

16 Posts

December 10th, 2018 10:00

I have been intermittently having the trackpad issues, and last week, one of the keys on my keyboard stopped working properly. I sent it in to have the keyboard and the trackpad replaced. Will update the thread once I get it back.

1 Message

December 12th, 2018 13:00

@journalyoung wrote:

Update: issue seems to include battery life... I'm running move mouse (https://github.com/sw3103/movemouse) to keep system from going asleep and otherwise have little running save only a chrome browser, outlook, skype and my battery dies at 3 to 3.5 hours (in "battery saver" mode even).

1. So now I have trackpad issues;
  2. Above requires me to kill driver for Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics, so I can use trackpad, but means I lose driver features;
  3. @Battery life @ 3.5 hrs max.

System is 1 week and 3 days from delivery. Hate to go thru return process, but looks like it is a must. Will forgo the 2 in 1 and try the 9570 model on account of bigger battery and different video card. Really wanted this one to work as I thought I might enjoy 2 in 1 feature and preferred the usb-c ports. 

Oh well.

What? The designated solution is to return the 9575 and get a different model?

1 Message

December 12th, 2018 17:00

I read this thread a couple of weeks back after I encountered the same issue after buying my 9575 from Best Buy. Once I read that this has been going on for months and Dell still can't fix the issue, I returned it and got a MBP instead. Such a shame that into December they can't fix something so fundamental on an otherwise excellent machine. Best of luck to you guys.

No Events found!