Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2018 19:00

XPS 15-9575 2-in-1, touchpad freezing

I got my new laptop less than a month ago and have been very happy with it. However, I have noticed that there is sometimes a problem with the touchpad.

Occasionally, the touchpad will freeze and the cursor will stop moving. These freezes last from about half a second to many seconds. Now, this isn't a huge problem, but it is pretty annoying when it happens.

Anyone with the same problem or ideas on how to fix this problem?

23 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 06:00

@Ashram77, I tried on Ubuntu to provoke it using your method of 1-2 min continuous use, but I gave up after 3 minutes without it occurring.

Not to muddy the waters further, but yesterday after writing my posts, my Ubuntu received an update for Mesa (the display 3D graphics driver library) to 18.3.2-1ubuntu1 along with some other updates (which seem even more unrelated than Mesa). I rebooted and have not had the issue since then, more than 24 hours, which is highly unusual. (Half of this time I used the default X Window display session, the other half I used the experimental Wayland session, same result, i.e. not occurring).

I have no idea how Mesa could have an influence, but on the other hand some people on the thread rightly or wrongly suspected the AMD graphics driver in Windows - and most of the graphics  driver functionality on Linux is implemented in Mesa. (However, in Ubuntu the driver switch is not automatic and you have to run an application explicitly on the AMD, so in practice I have only been using the Intel GPU).

Could also be that the reboot changed something, but of course I rebooted in the past and it did not help.

I will watch if it comes back and report.

(This seems a complex issue and I am not even sure if everyone on the thread is experiencing the same problem. E.g. does everyone's touchpad become unresponsive in the lower half only? This is significant in may case and someone else mentioned it too, but I don't know if everyone has this.)

23 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 07:00

... aaaand there it happened again :( Laptop was running all the time, no sleep or reboot.

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 20:00

Hey, guys. I just want to share an impression I have. Recently I noticed that the notebook wasn't touching the table where it was put evenly, I could notice it would give a little if I pushed the left bottom corner down. Perhaps from some pressure it was put under in my backpack, I wonder. Instinctively, I kinda twisted it a little bit in the opposite direction and the rubbers under the notebook got to touch the surface uniformly. ALSO the crazy cursor problem seemed to decrease. I'm no computer expert, but I got a feeling it has something to do with some instability in the notebooks chassis.

10 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 23:00

О_о

I've got exactly the same problem with the left bottom corner. I also tried many times to twist the laptop trying to fix it. Maybe it could be related to the touchpad issue. Idk. I haven't encountered the issue since November. 

23 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 02:00

Mine is plane (but that doesn't rule out an installation issue)

41 Posts

January 24th, 2019 01:00

@m4rqu1n  

Chassis warping and battery expanding due to heat were reported as issues with other models as well, so not surprised to hear it for this XPS 15. If you look at older replies in this thread, it's one of the questions Dell support asked me when I reported the trackpad problems: did I have a raised keyboard that would point to the battery expanding (as that would put pressure on the trackpad) ? of course I said yes, just to get them to replace the trackpad, but there was no visible chassis bump, twist, instability or whatever you might call it. I believe it's wrong to assume that you did something to cause this issue (like mishandling it in the backpack) as there are too many other people complaining online, so just push Dell to fix it on their expense. 

The technician who replaced the trackpad told me that he can see that the original trackpad had a problem in the left-bottom corner. The 2-3 layers were close together instead of being separated (I didn't check it as he was in a hurry to leave for the next customer, and he took the original part with him) - so that was causing the problem, the trackpad would just left-click on its own. 

41 Posts

January 24th, 2019 01:00

48 hours later, used the laptop mostly on AC, without an external mouse, and didn't see the problem. (Panel Self-Refresh is on, Speed Step is on - as well as all other performance settings in the BIOS, all on defaults). 

I believe this XPS is now good enough to risk using it as my only machine, as the drivers have matured. 

If there's enough interest (reply or kudo this post), I can write a guide detailing the whole installation process to get a stable machine (OS, drivers versions and links, settings in BIOS/OS, apps). 

11 Posts

February 5th, 2019 09:00

The touchpad freezing is completely gone. I don't know why. Maybe because I've installed the latest intel HD 630 Graphics driver update from Dell a few days ago. Windows also installed the KB4100347 (Microupdate from Intel for CPUs) a few days ago.
I am using the touchpad for hours now and the issues aren't appearing anymore.
A issue with stuttering music at high CPU load (or only pugging in a USB-Stick) is also completely gone.
Now the XPS 9575 feels as nice as it should!

Anyone else experiencing the same??

2 Posts

February 5th, 2019 20:00

This issue has NOT been resolved. The new updates to the video driver are not packaged for Dell. And the trackpad lag is terrible. Combine that with the malfunctioning audio drivers, this is fast becoming a very expensive mistake. 

11 Posts

February 6th, 2019 07:00

Therefore I really want to know the reason for the sudden disappearance of my issues. Maybe it will return soon :)

41 Posts

February 7th, 2019 12:00

@Smokidoki How long has it been since you bought the XPS ? is it still within the 30 days return policy ?

11 Posts

February 7th, 2019 12:00

The issue with the Touchpad is back again. It was a nice 2 days. Dell offered me to return my XPS and I will do so.

16 Posts

February 19th, 2019 06:00

Hi Everyone,

After having my touchpad replaced in mid-December, the issues still have not returned. The trackpad replacement fixed my issues, and it is running well.

I will say that one of the usb-c ports is starting to become intermittently reliable though - i plug it in, and sometimes it doesn't recognize it and doesn't show it charging. Re-plugging it seems to work though.

Overall I'm happy about my purchase, but I will most likely consider another laptop for the next time.

2 Posts

February 19th, 2019 21:00

I can confirm that this happens both in Windows 10 and Linux. (Manjaro Cinnamon) I've also tested it on 2 different SSDs, on the original Windows 10 install and a fresh install, tried upgrading drivers, etc.

At first, this laptop was also suffering constant BSODs (on Linux, the graphics would completely glitch out, though the system would remain responsive enough for me to switch to a terminal and reboot... I just couldn't see what I was doing because of the video corruption) but that stopped unexpectedly about 2 weeks ago.

We bought this around Cyber Monday at Best Buy, and I really wish we had used it more in the first month so we could have returned it for a full refund. This laptop has proven to be much more trouble that it's worth.

I'll try talking to Dell soon and getting the touchpad replaced... I really hope that helps.

2 Posts

February 20th, 2019 07:00

I had my touchpad replaced and it made no difference.  It still freezes frequently.

I have no confidence that anyone has identified the root cause of this issue, let alone a reliable fix or workaround.

No Events found!