Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2020 12:00

XPS 15 Hinge Issues (widespread?)

I've seen several posts about this issue but would like to know just how widespread it is.

I have 2 XPS 15 laptops (a 9560 and a 9570) both have an issue with the left screen hinge. The 9560 got so bad that the screen can't be opened anymore and the laptop ha. and it bent the bottom cover. The 9570 is headed in that direction but not that bad. I have a colleague with a 9560 that had the exact same problem. My business has used exclusively Dell equipment up to this point and while we have never had a problem with any of our desktop workstations or monitors, the XPS 15 laptops that have given me countless headaches.

Anybody else have this problem? How did Dell address it? and has the problem been addressed in a newer version of the laptop?

Really love the specs of the XPS 15 and the display quality but not inclined to ever get another at this point

1 Message

September 3rd, 2021 13:00

I am having the exact same issue with the left hand hinge area breaking up totally out of the blue. From all the posts I have read about this it seems to be a clear design flaw. Dell, what support are you offering on this? This is a very expensive computer!

1 Message

September 15th, 2021 05:00

It appears that the plastic around the hinge is simply not strong enough to stand the test of time. I glued the plastic back together on the power cord side but now the plastic near the power button has cracked interfering with the ability to turn the device on and off.

6 Posts

November 17th, 2021 21:00

I just purchase the following product, which my hinge snapped from.

Dell XPS 15 (9570) / Precision 5530 Touchpad Palmrest Assembly - 2K6RG - JG1FC

6 Posts

My left hinge on my XPS 15 9570 i9 snapped from its base as well and took the charger port with it. I'm about done with this laptop. I had so much hope that this, as it was supposed to be my laptop for many years. I spent almost $3k on it, and it was my worst laptop to date.

6 Posts

Best to leave the screen in the open position Eventually the charging port will snap.

2 Posts

January 1st, 2022 05:00

Is the problem solved after you replaced the palm rest? Thanks

1 Message

January 5th, 2022 07:00

I have this same issue with the Precision 5530 (5510 series), which is mostly the same design.  The tiny little piece of metal holding the left hinge snapped, and the glue they use of course failed, along with the power adapter receptable glue failing, so it won't charge. All of this is due to the factory over tightening the nuts at the edge of each hinge.  Rather than take the whole thing apart, my quick fix was as follows:

1.)Remove the back cover.

2.)Unscrew each of the 3 screws holding the right (non-broken) hinge to the back plate.  You will also need to remove the 3 screws on the left hinge so you can take off the broken chassis piece that is attached to the hinge.

3.)Loosen both the left and right hinge nut by 1/4 turn.  Reassemble, the right hinge, and check the tightness before proceeding to step 4.  It should be noticeably looser, such that when you reach 45 degree angle of the lid, it should fall shut.  This is key, or step 4 won't work.  The right hinge should stay attached from this point on.

4.)Fasten the power plug, if it's still glued on, (likely not) you need to secure it before fixing the hinge anway, or step 5 won't work. Hope you have decent hot glue gun skills.  You will need a small, craft hot glue gun. The key is to not make a mess here, but you can always use a little razor blade if you do.  Put the tip of the hot glue gun right behind the power plug so that it is wedged between the black wires coming out of the plug and the USB receptacle edge, and inject some hot glue there.  This will prevent your power receptacle from detaching (as mine already has).

5.)With the right hinge still attached to the chassis, you are now going to fasten the left (broken) hinge to the bottom plate.  To do this, first open the display as far as it will go.  Then, gently lift the left hinge without torquing the right hinge, and slowly inject a large drop of hot glue into the rectangular shape indention of the back plastic plate where the bottom of the hinge normally sits. This puddle should not exceed the boundaries of the rectangular shape by much.  Then quickly press the left hinge into the puddle of hot glue, and apply pressure using your fingers for 3-5 minutes, or use a clamp.  I just used my fingers.

6.)Inject hot glue around the hinge, but don't exceed the height of the hinge.  Pressing the tip of the hot glue gun against the hinge and plastic edges lets you do this easily.  Be careful not to get glue on the hinge nut.

7.)Let cool for 10 minutes, then reassemble, and you're done.  The hot glue fills in the voids, so there's nowhere for the hinge to go now, so it's going to stay put even if the glue bond fails eventually.

2 Posts

January 10th, 2022 12:00

Yes I have just had same issue with my Dell XPS15 9570 depsite being 3 years old at a cost of £2100 and well maintained one should not expect this to happen to a premium laptop. this is my first and likely to be my last Dell. It is fair to say that a laptop life span is 3-4 years so one may just as well buy a cheap crome book every 2 years which are very powerful these days! I took this laptop to a repair guy and he said this is a very common problem with Dell!

2 Posts

January 11th, 2022 09:00

Yes, I spend almost the whole day trying to get hold of dell to discuss, got sent around in circles with call centres, whats app chat which was useless, after many phone calls I eventually got through after being sent in circles 4 times. However the cost for the repair will be around £350 including the £44 diagnotics and will take12-15 days... I was informed by a compuer repair shop that is a very common fault amongst Dell and thieradvice was not to touch dell and Levono a much better laptop which I intended to but prior to this Dell but were completely out of stock and I needed a new one urgently! Only if I had seen such forum before hand I would not have purchased Dell... anyway my first and last.

1 Message

January 24th, 2022 18:00

I appreciate this very much, thank you for sharing. We use them in my office and I have had the same problem with both issued to me. With the latest, I see no signs of damage from the person who used it before me (who was very careful with equipment), and I know that I have not dropped it or knocked it with anything myself. It sits on a desk and never has been carried about.

If Dell is prone to this and so expensive to repair, I'll be glad if our next vendor is another company. They haven't done much to help anyone on this thread, from what I can see.

11 Posts

January 29th, 2022 09:00

Same issue on my 9560 from 2017. Not only did the plastic part inside break, but also some part of the plastic frame. I did manage to glue everything together with a two component glue. Not looking great in daylight, but it seem to be holding together alright. I also loosened the laptop hinge a bit.

The laptop lid was very hard to open from the beginning. Almost impossible to open with one hand, so  I kind of think, if the hinge would have been looser from the beginning the problem might not have happen in the first place.

2 Posts

February 27th, 2022 13:00

Having the same issue on a dell 9570 and another Dell (2 years older).  I will never buy another Dell - and nobody else should either IMO - until they fix this issue and address those of us with broken computers.  

2 Posts

March 8th, 2022 09:00

I had the exact same issue with my XPS 9560 after about 1.5 years of use. I've contacted dell support back then but all that they had offered was a very expensive repair. Ever since then, I have left the lid of my laptop open and I never took it out of my house again, which defeats the purpose of a laptop. This is definitely not what I would have expected from a premium model of a premium manufacturer. Never had any issues with other brands, though.

1 Message

April 15th, 2022 12:00

I have had this issue for about a year now. Not the computer wont charge or work. So much for. $2000 computer. Also dell wont work with me on the issue. Not doing this again. 

1 Message

April 28th, 2022 03:00

Just wanted to say that my Dell XPS 7590 (2019) laptop is suffering from the same problem. I removed the cover to see why the monitor was loose and saw a crack near the screw that should hold everything. no photo, sorry.

No Events found!