Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

113 Posts

April 11th, 2021 13:00

XPS 15 L502x power and trackpad not working

Hi All,

my old XPS 15 had some heating issue recently. I did not use it for few months as I was away. I opened it up and applied thermal paste, which did solve the immediate problem but while assembling it back. I messed up the wiring of front panel. so now the trackpad, power buttons are not working. 
i suspect slight damage to one of the wire strips at one end. I would like to know my options here. Can this be something that I can get repaired from dell support? As this is quite an old model. Also what do I need to ask for. 

please let me know if there is any scope of getting it resolved. It has served me well for so many years. Would like to use it for few more years. 

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

April 11th, 2021 14:00

The only thing those three parts have in common is the system board into which they all plug.  You'll need to identify exactly what's faulty and evaluate the cost of the replacement part(s) and any labor needed.  A system board will run in the $150-200 range -- which not coincidentally is more than the entire system is worth when it's running correctly.

I don't think you'll find Dell willing to repair a system that's on the order of a decade old at this point -- and bear in mind Dell charges $200 flat rate for any repair other than a mainboard or screen replacement.  Again, that's equal to or more than the value of the system.

Unless you have a sentimental attachment to this system or find that it's other than the mainboard that needs to be replaced, you're better off selling the non-working system for parts and buying something new - or newer.  

113 Posts

April 11th, 2021 23:00

thanks for the response. I already my alienware which is my primary laptop. so my day to day activities will not be impacted. 

Also, I know for sure that its only the connecting wire strip that is not contacting properly. the socket where these are connected is not seated properly.  

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

April 12th, 2021 03:00

Have you tried different power outlets? Does this happen in different locations(even outside you house/work)?

I would suggest you to release flea power.To release flea power disconnect AC adapter,remove battery,disconnect all external peripherals(USB devices),press and hold power button for 30 seconds.

Reconnect the battery and AC adapter.Check how touchpad responds with AC Adapter connected.

If the issue persists try a different AC adapter(may be borrow from some one who uses same watt Dell AC adapter).

Let me know how it goes.

Thank You

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

April 12th, 2021 03:00

Whatever device has the "wire strip" needs to be replaced -- probably the keyboard and/or touchpad/palmrest.  Try parts-people.com for the parts.

If it's the locking clip on the system board that's not holding, that's a different story.

1 Rookie

• 

87 Posts

April 13th, 2021 06:00

I bought a top-of-the-line (at that time) Dell XPS L502x in 2011 and it's been a solid system for the last ten years! The only upgrade I ever performed was to increase the memory to 16GB. There were a couple of occasions I needed to buy a replacement part here or there and I am sure you can do the same. For example I once cracked the display bezel, so I replaced it. Another time I opened the case to tighten the screws mounting the display. All simple, easy fixes. The only issue is/was the incompatibility I had with the built-in webcam and Windows 7, but that was remedied with the purchase of a Logitech web camera mounted atop the display.

After ten plus years running the L502x I decided to treat myself and I did, buying a Dell XPS 15 9500. What a screamer in comparison! After migrating all of the applications (VMware, Burpsuite, Core Impact, etc.) I use to the new system, I have had zero issues. Everything runs fantastic!

If you are looking to obtain replacement parts for your L502x and are unsure where to get them, shoot me a message and I'll direct you to a website that has served me very well over the years.

113 Posts

April 13th, 2021 07:00

thanks for all the responses. I laptop battery has been dead for almost 2 years now, so I am sure it is not the residual power issue. 

During the disassembly, when I flipped open the latch for touchpad and power wire strips, the upper half of the latch came out, most likely I opened in the wrong way. hence, my suspicion that there I messed up. I was able to start the system while holding the wire strip at its place.

Will try my luck again this weekend to see if it works out. I will also take a snap of the section in question here. I do not know what we call it..

113 Posts

April 18th, 2021 00:00

Hi All,

I tried re fitting the wire strip for touchpad and power button. It looks like its too complicated for me, my hands are not steady enough to re-seat the clips. I do have both the touchpad and power button socket clips, but not able to fit this clips with wire strip in proper position. 

I have taken few snaps of the part in question. Will check with dell support again to see if they can get this fix this even with charges. its too minor an issue for this laptop to be discarded.

unnamed(1).jpgunnamed(2).jpgunnamed.jpg

No Events found!