Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2018 20:00

XPS 15-L521X, Unable to Adjust Screen Brightness

XPS 15 L521X

For a few years now I've been unable to adjust my screen brightness from F4/F5 or settings/control panel. I've tried updating my display adapter and monitors and have tried deleting hidden Generic PnP Monitors in the Device Manager. I believe it's stuck at the highest brightness setting and it's super annoying. 

Any help would be great. 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

June 13th, 2018 21:00

* Go to Control Panel -> Power Options -> Advanced settings -> Display.  See if "Enable adaptive brightness" is enabled. If so, turn it off
* Manually adjust the brightness level in the Dell PremierColor program and save
* Disable the Dell PremierColor program from Startup. Press ALT+CTRL+DEL and select Task Manager -> Startup Tab -> Right click on Dell Premier Color Program -> Select Disable
* Set the desired LCD brightness and restart the system

Display brightness may not respond to adjustments. Microsoft and Intel have identified a driver compatibility issue on devices configured with certain Intel display drivers. After updating to Window 10-1903, brightness settings may sometime appear as if changes applied took effect, yet the actual display brightness doesn't change. To safeguard their update experience, Dell applied a compatibility hold on devices with certain Intel drivers from being offered Windows 10-1903, until this issue is resolved.

And purely out of curiosity, what prompted you to post this just now if you've been dealing with it for a few years now?

September 19th, 2018 06:00

Hi All,

I just managed to resolve this issue by following instructions here. Can't believe I can actually  adjust my screen brightness  - hooray... :-) hope this helps others.. John

https://superuser.com/questions/1291883/cant-adjust-brightness-on-dell-xps-13-under-windows-10

1 Message

April 6th, 2019 14:00

@THEONEpeterRabbit wrote:
I didn't roll back, I just reinstalled the same driver and worked out :)

Reinstallation fixed my problem. 

3 Posts

September 21st, 2019 20:00

If you're using the 4K OLED Display, make sure you're using Version 1903 (Start/Run "winver")  and you grab the latest Intel Driver from Intel's website https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28646/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers  and you should be ok.  I had issues until I grabbed the latest Intel driver, still had issues, then I ended up having to upgrade to the latest version of Windows.  Even grabbing everything from Dell's support site and Windows update didn't fix it, turns out you have to go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10  and click on "Update Now" at the top.

7 Posts

June 13th, 2018 22:00

Looks like my adaptive brightness is not enabled. 

Hah! I've just never used forums like this before until very recently out of necessity. Beforehand, If I couldn't find a solution already posted somewhere, I just kinda gave up. 

2 Posts

September 5th, 2018 08:00

I have my XPS15 9570 for just a few weeks.  Initially, the screen brightness was adjustable via the screen hotkey/2nd function keys.  But after a few Windows updates, drivers updates, and bios updates, I found myself not able to adjust the screen brightness except in the bios.  For a while, I was preparing to return the laptop.  After searching and trying for a few more days, I finally figured it out that it can be adjusted through the software 'Dell Color Premium', which is a screen calibration software that came with the laptop.  Now I know that the screen and the bios are still working properly, except the keyboard macro for 2nd functions. If you have tried all the other ways to adjust the screen brightness and failed so far, this may be your best and last option.  Dell Color Premium is free and can be downloaded on Dell website, if it did not come with your laptop. 

Dell still needs to fix the 2nd function key macros for screen adjustment !!!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps.

7 Posts

September 10th, 2018 17:00

Thank you for the advice! But unfortunately I cannot download Dell Color Premium. Still haven't quite figured out what the problem is but I'm getting closer to the solution : ) 

September 19th, 2018 06:00

Hi Did you ever resolve this issue as I have the same problem. The only way  can change brightness on my XPS15 is to boot into BIOS & change settings in there (which is of course ridiculous). I ried also to download the DELL colour premium prog but as I do not have touch screen/ 4K it wold not install. Rally frustrating.... :-(  John

1 Message

October 14th, 2018 21:00

I had the same issue, rolling back the UHD 620 driver solved my issue.

Device Manager > Display adapters > Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 > Right click properties

Under the Driver tab there's an option 'Roll Back Driver'.

For me the driver date on 09/20/2018 was preventing me from making any adjustment to screen brightness and color, so I had to roll back to a previous one. 

October 18th, 2018 11:00

I didn't roll back, I just reinstalled the same driver and worked out :)

1 Message

January 16th, 2019 08:00

Something else to check if you're a Splashtop User (remote desktop software)... Under Device Manager, Splashtop had installed its own version of the Generic PnP Monitor (you can tell because it has Splashtop in the name).  I replaced that with Windows version and I was back in business on a Dell Precision 5530.

1 Message

January 17th, 2019 05:00

I had the same problem too, well the problem only lasted a day before it stressed me out (My brightness was stuck on low, so much more annoying when you can't properly use your laptop during the day). The solution was rather simple and quick:

1. Go to support https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/products/?app=drivers
  2. Choose detect or you could go for the harder option and Enter your Dell Service Tag, Dell EMC Product ID, or Model.
  3. If you have Dell support assist it would detect your PC, if not it'lll prompt you to download it
  4. Click detect drivers after PC has been detected This checks which drivers need to be updated(this is optimized for your dell PC unlike windows general update)
  5. Update the required driver. 

For me it was the BIOS that needed updating. But I'm confident this would work for any other driver that is causing the problem.

Hopes this helps someone.

1 Message

March 18th, 2019 02:00

This solved my issue. Thank you

1 Message

April 1st, 2019 15:00

I went to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28646/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

and installed the Intel Driver & Support assistant. Ran it, it determined I only needed an Intel Rapid Storage driver so I went for it. Didn't sound like it had anything to do with video. By the way, my Intel UHD 620 driver (XPS 13) was up to date and couldn't roll back as this was the original setup with this laptop.

Anyway, installed the Rapid Storage Driver rebooted when asked and now I have brightness control via F11/F12 keys.

1 Message

April 16th, 2019 05:00

1 Go into device manager and locate your display adapter 2 Right click on the display adapter and choose ‘Disable’: Temporarily disable the display adapter The screen resolution will change but do not worry about that 3 Now, re-enable your display adapter: Try Now: Press Fn + F10 or F11
No Events found!