Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

1 Message

July 7th, 2020 18:00

XPS 15 and Dual monitor set up

I have an XPS 15  laptop and two dell monitors that i intend to connect to the laptop. The monitors have dvi cables and the laptop has a hdmi cable.

i purchased a hdmi to dual dvi (female) cable and it doesnt work, not sure if the cable is faulty or the laptop doesnt support it.

i also have purchased a hdmi to dvi (single) cable and it works but for one monitor.

how would i connect both monitors, Is there a device or a cable available that i can use to connect both monitors and use it for work purposes where i can drag and drop files and applications from one monitor to the other

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 8th, 2020 08:00

@deepdey  Quick add-on to my reply.  I'm assuming your XPS 15 actually has a USB-C port, since the XPS 15 models made since about 2014 all have, but if that's not the case let me know.  And as a general tip, when asking for technical assistance, it helps to provide technical detail, in this case your exact system model.  There have been several generations and variants of the XPS 15 over the years.  Your exact model would be something like XPS 15 9560, for example.  If you're not sure what you have, then you can go to support.dell.com and enter your Service Tag, then the site will tell you.  But do NOT post your actual Service Tag on a public forum.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 8th, 2020 08:00

@deepdey  Even if the HDMI to Dual DVI adapter had worked, it would only mirror a single source signal out to multiple displays.  HDMI outputs do not support running multiple independent displays from a single output.  Only DisplayPort can do that, as well as USB-C since USB-C uses DisplayPort for video output.

The easiest way to connect your second display would be a USB-C to DVI adapter (or an entire USB-C to DVI cable).

No Events found!